• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Watching the World Cup races

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thing is, Vlhova had a delayed start as well because the skier before her also took down a gate. Someone on skitalk timed the delays for both Vlhova and Shiffrin, and Shiffrin's was not that much longer (and nowhere near the 5-8 minutes some people have been talking about online). So I'm not sure about those gripes.
Vlhova and Holdener had more aggressive second runs than Shiffrin, and Robinson had an even better one — hers is the accomplishment we should celebrate!

Very late to the thread but I'm so stoked that Robinson pulled it all together successfully for one race. It's been a tough season to be an Alice fan, but so happy for her to at least get another podium under her belt, I'm already excited to see her performance next season! As long as she can ski that aggressively and actually finish the races, she's a very exciting skier to watch :smile:

teppaz

Angel Diva
Totally agree. She had such a rough start to the season. It just looked like her timing was off and because of her aggressive style that led to DNFs or at the very least big errors. She's been looking more dialed lately.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Oh I know!! But with training cancelled and the races at risk, maybe she won't have to.
NO DH for men or women so Goggia and Feuz have won those globes. Vlhova and Pinturault must be breathing a sigh of relief that the first scheduled race wasn't the SL. This turn of event gives them a boost for the overall.

Christy

Angel Diva
And no speed races for Lara. Not a good week for Switzerland. Or for the viewer--they cancelled those races but instead of rescheduling one for today, they held the parallel team? Ugh. Maybe it was still too iffy to have any speed races, I don't know (I haven't watched yet) but what a drag to have the parallel be the event that actually happens.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Totally agree: they should have switched the parallel for a speed event. Who likes watching parallel? It’s so boring.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so excited by Robinson's GS win!!!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Her second run was insane. Not the prettiest style but her sheer power is incredible.

And LGB skiing out... she’ll be back with a vengeance next year — those cancellations at the finals must have left a bitter taste in her mouth.

Christy

Angel Diva
AR's run was certainly exciting. I'm glad she made it down in one piece!

Lara made her point! I'm glad she doesn't hesitate to speak or act when she feels there is an issue. And I'm with her on this. Skiing is an outdoor sport and never completely fair, but to decline to reschedule the canceled speed races but to run the parallel of all things was an unjust decision.

Apparently Petra and her globe are getting on a train and touring Slovakia.

Just now watching the men's and saw Grange's final run. Aww...

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’ve lurked and enjoyed this thread. I don’t have access to the races live so I depend on recaps and commentary. Anyway, I finally have something to add! Some questions:

Where does the prize money come from? Do the sponsors fund for the prize purse in exchange for having their logos plastered everywhere? Do people who don’t podium get any money, or does it just go to the top three?

teppaz

Angel Diva
I’ve lurked and enjoyed this thread. I don’t have access to the races live so I depend on recaps and commentary. Anyway, I finally have something to add! Some questions:

Where does the prize money come from? Do the sponsors fund for the prize purse in exchange for having their logos plastered everywhere? Do people who don’t podium get any money, or does it just go to the top three?
Prize money is from the WC races, with bonuses for world championships. It decreases down to the 30th spot. It’s FIS money and individual sponsorships are separate.

teppaz

Angel Diva
AR's run was certainly exciting. I'm glad she made it down in one piece!

Lara made her point! I'm glad she doesn't hesitate to speak or act when she feels there is an issue. And I'm with her on this. Skiing is an outdoor sport and never completely fair, but to decline to reschedule the canceled speed races but to run the parallel of all things was an unjust decision.

Apparently Petra and her globe are getting on a train and touring Slovakia.

Just now watching the men's and saw Grange's final run. Aww...
I teared up watching Grange. He was so average in recent years that it’d be easy to forget how great he once was.
Both Gut and Odermatt were harshly penalized by the cancellations. They’re both Swiss and it happened in Switzerland, which must have added to the sting.

teppaz

Angel Diva
One more thing: I loved watching Liensberger come into her own this season. Women's tech races are going to be a real brawl next season. I don't see as much competition at the top on the speed side, with 2-3 dominant skiers and then a whole bunch of women able to podium on any given day.

Christy

Angel Diva

I think the awesome thing about World Cup skiing is that the top earners are women. There may be other sports like that, but not many. In 2019 Mikaela Shiffrin was the first skier in history to earn more than 1m CHF in a season. In terms of complete equity, though, I believe that the most famous men's race still has a bigger prize than any other race.

Christy

Angel Diva
One more thing: I loved watching Liensberger come into her own this season. Women's tech races are going to be a real brawl next season. I don't see as much competition at the top on the speed side, with 2-3 dominant skiers and then a whole bunch of women able to podium on any given day.

We know that the various coaches set slalom courses this year that did not favor Mikaela--they set straighter rather than the swoopier courses that tend to favor the better/more technically proficient skiers. (Perhaps this hurt Petra too). So will we see, next year, a return to these courses in an effort to handicap Liensberger, who is winning on these straighter courses by large margins?

teppaz

Angel Diva
Maybe Shiffrin didn't like some courses but I don't see a concerted effort to thwart her over the span of the season. Her killer instinct abandoned her on key runs, and other racers caught up.

Unrelated: this is a fun video graphic about the overall ranking over the course of the season.

Christy

Angel Diva
Maybe Shiffrin didn't like some courses but I don't see a concerted effort to thwart her over the span of the season. Her killer instinct abandoned her on key runs, and other racers caught up.

Unrelated: this is a fun video graphic about the overall ranking over the course of the season.

It's something Steve Porino commented on a number of times. I personally wouldn't have noticed. And it's certainly something that is done--coaches try to set courses that favor their athletes and/or aren't the best fit for the dominant athlete. I believe the course sets were not to Petra's advantage either though I don't know how much that played into her less dominant slalom results since Zagreb or if it was just fatigue.

teppaz

Angel Diva
It's something Steve Porino commented on a number of times. I personally wouldn't have noticed. And it's certainly something that is done--coaches try to set courses that favor their athletes and/or aren't the best fit for the dominant athlete. I believe the course sets were not to Petra's advantage either though I don't know how much that played into her less dominant slalom results since Zagreb or if it was just fatigue.
I agree that coaches set courses to fit some athletes but I’m not sure this would add up to favoring a specific racer (or penalize another) over a whole season. So many factors enter into play.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly