• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Watching the World Cup races

teppaz

Angel Diva
I thought I'd start a thread for those of us following the World Cup races. I'm in the US and watch on Peacock, but I think they're also available on NBCSports.

I'm not nor have I ever been a competitive skier but I avidly follow the racing season. So come on in if you want to chat about Mikaela Shiffrin, Petra Vlhova, Federica Brignone and all the incredible athletes who make the sport so fun to watch!

I was really psyched to see Michelle Gisin finally win her first WC race — first Swiss woman to win a slalom in nearly 19 years. And first woman other than Shiffrin or Vlhova to win a slalom in 28 races, which is staggering. Gisin is an all-rounder who could win the overall title.

Downside is that Wendy Holdener's non-winning streak continues: 24 podiums, no victory for the Swiss Susan Lucci.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Isn’t it weird to see those European resorts empty except for racers and crews? It’s a very competitive season for both men and women. The overall titles feel pretty open for the first time in years.

Christy

Angel Diva
was really psyched to see Michelle Gisin finally win her first WC race — first Swiss woman to win a slalom in nearly 19 years. And first woman other than Shiffrin or Vlhova to win a slalom in 28 races, which is staggering. Gisin is an all-rounder who could win the overall title.

I was happy to see that too! It was lovely to see how happy she was. It has to be so tough competing in women's tech in recent years. As much as I love to see Mikaela win, I've been hoping someone (Wendy or Anna Svenn Larsen, maybe?) would find the top podium step one of these years. Do you know what happened to Petra that race? I guess anyone can have an off day, but....she typically doesn't.

Did you hear the announcer in the background? I've been to WC races and my experience has been that they are positive and encouraging, but I loved this guy at Semmering as he talked to the racers. "Good job! You earned World Cup points!" "Great team spirit Norway! Great team spirit from USA too!" "Don't worry, there will be more from this lady!" (after a crash).

This is an exciting time for the US team in general I think. I'm looking forward to the upcoming women's speed races and seeing Breezy go for it. It's also so great to finally see some results from the men. What a drought they have been in. RCS!!

teppaz

Angel Diva
I love being able to hear the announcers on Peacock!

I’m a big Wendy Holdener fan so I’m used to disappointment. Sad to say but her golden opportunity to win a slalom was last season, after Shiffrin stopped, but Wendy just couldn’t pull it off. I think ASL was poised for a win but she recently got injured (ankle I think) in training.

As for the US ski team, it’s finally looking up. Phew!

Christy

Angel Diva
@teppaz how do you feel about Petra? I feel bad that I'm not a bigger fan of hers. She sure has worked her butt off and I admire her determination and skill. I don't know if I still have a bad attitude from when her team was taping Mikaela's coaching sessions, or if I just hate to see Mikaela beat, but I always root for her to lose (and I feel guilty that I do this).

teppaz

Angel Diva
@teppaz how do you feel about Petra? I feel bad that I'm not a bigger fan of hers. She sure has worked her butt off and I admire her determination and skill. I don't know if I still have a bad attitude from when her team was taping Mikaela's coaching sessions, or if I just hate to see Mikaela beat, but I always root for her to lose (and I feel guilty that I do this).

Overall I like her — despite the spying-on-Shiffrin asterisk, which admittedly isn’t hot. I like her steely focus and mental strength (she’s really good at sending it on second runs). I also like that she brought up legit competition for MS, because I just don’t enjoy it all that much when there’s a hugely dominant athlete: it’s impressive as an individual accomplishment but it’s not all that fun to watch (same with Hirscher for men). When MS was super-dominant, you could tell most of the other women were just resigned, whereas it looked as if it motivated Petra even more.

Christy

Angel Diva
Overall I like her — despite the spying-on-Shiffrin asterisk, which admittedly isn’t hot. I like her steely focus and mental strength (she’s really good at sending it on second runs). I also like that she brought up legit competition for MS, because I just don’t enjoy it all that much when there’s a hugely dominant athlete: it’s impressive as an individual accomplishment but it’s not all that fun to watch (same with Hirscher for men). When MS was super-dominant, you could tell most of the other women were just resigned, whereas it looked as if it motivated Petra even more.

Good points. This could be a truly great and exciting rivalry for the ages.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I don't have TV service any longer! I cast to my TV from my laptop. Is there a way to watch it online? Thanks!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been following the ski racing more and more! I mostly root for Alice Robinson though so I end up mostly watching the GS races. It hasn't been a great season for AR as she's had a lot of crashes. Hoping 2021 brings her some more actual race finishes :smile:

teppaz

Angel Diva
I've been following the ski racing more and more! I mostly root for Alice Robinson though so I end up mostly watching the GS races. It hasn't been a great season for AR as she's had a lot of crashes. Hoping 2021 brings her some more actual race finishes :smile:
Yeah she’s been DNF’ing lately. I’ve read theories that she comes out too strong and loses control. She’s very talented, will podium (at least) again this season. The GS is also quite competitive, with several racers in a tight pocket.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
We DVR both the men’s and women’s cup races. I’ve always been a fan of Brignone. There’s just something about her, her scrappiness and putting it all on the table each run. It’s hilarious to hear her holler down the hill, especially when she swears. I’m glad some of the races have real competition for MS. It just gets boring seeing the same winner each time. I have the same feeling about Hamilton in F1 racing for those that watch that. For the men’s side, always a fan of the crazy tall Bryce Bennett.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Love Brignone too (we’ve nicknamed her the Grasshopper because of her long legs, which create amazing angles on those GS turns).
Big fan of Goggia as well: she knows how to put on a show!

Christy

Angel Diva
General announcement since I can't edit my initial post: this thread will discuss race results so there will be spoilers.

Thanks for the heads up--I'm on Pacific time, and on weekdays will need to wait until the evening to watch.

Count me as another Brignone fan. I have to hand it to anyone that races in all disciplines.

teppaz

Angel Diva
A grind in Zagreb today: warm conditions and the bottom of the course looked particularly slushy. Anybody digging in on her turns would just slow down — amazing how many lost a lot of time in the bottom third.

Vlhova had a total Hirscher second run: gung-ho, mentally super-strong, a couple of mistakes followed by recoveries that testified to her physical fitness.

This is such a mental game, especially in a second run, and this may be where Shiffrin is losing those precious tenths of a second.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly