• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Watching the World Cup races

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Did you notice the very end of Shiffrin’s second run? She just glided to the finish line. Considering the time margins in the sport, it was weird for her to not even push.
Yes I did. It was like maybe 3/4 the way thru that run it was like she pulled back the throttle and coasted in. Almost like she knew it was a lost cause. And just right before that I commented to my husband how fluid she skis, with more finesse....and then she dialed it back. We both were like What happened?

teppaz

Angel Diva
Yes I did. It was like maybe 3/4 the way thru that run it was like she pulled back the throttle and coasted in. Almost like she knew it was a lost cause. And just right before that I commented to my husband how fluid she skis, with more finesse....and then she dialed it back. We both were like What happened?
It’s Bassino who skis with that fluidity now.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I think Shiffrin has had a very rough year, mentally. She's still mourning her dad, and although everyone says "staying busy is the best", it takes a psychological toll that you don't even realize. About a year after my father died I realized that I was just coming out of a fog that I hadn't even realized I was living in -- and that was while I was running my solo OB/GYN practice.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I think Shiffrin has had a very rough year, mentally. She's still mourning her dad, and although everyone says "staying busy is the best", it takes a psychological toll that you don't even realize.
For sure! It is great to see her back out there. But to expect her to perform to the same caliber as before without distraction is going to lead to disappointment. I can see this as her recovery season, traveling without her dad and finding this new life and what it entails. Perhaps one could call is a discovery season, personally and athletically.

teppaz

Angel Diva
For sure! It is great to see her back out there. But to expect her to perform to the same caliber as before without distraction is going to lead to disappointment. I can see this as her recovery season, traveling without her dad and finding this new life and what it entails. Perhaps one could call is a discovery season, personally and athletically.
Absolutely. The mere fact that she took months off to grieve needs to be acknowledged because there’s so much pressure on top athletes to perform. Countless of them just plod on after a death in their family without us hearing about it because it’s what’s expected of them regardless of the mental toll. It’s amazing that MS acknowledged how hard it is because when you think about it, it’s so relatively rare.
In a happier way, the great Norwegian biathlon champ Johannes Thingnes Boe took a paternity leave in the middle of the season last year, which I thought was great.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Shiffrin looked like her old self in the first run of today's GS. The second…not so much. Now it's Bassino who reliably looks like old Shiffrin. Gisin just 60 points behind Vlhova in the overall. Exciting!

For those interested, NBC commentator Steve Porino now has a podcast called "Alpine Waxroom." The episode with speed skier Alice McKennis Duran is really interesting — though the stories about her multiple injuries are chilling. Fascinating insights about how she conquers fear, for example (with advice that's actually usable for everyday skier!).

Christy

Angel Diva
Shiffrin looked like her old self in the first run of today's GS. The second…not so much. Now it's Bassino who reliably looks like old Shiffrin. Gisin just 60 points behind Vlhova in the overall. Exciting!

For those interested, NBC commentator Steve Porino now has a podcast called "Alpine Waxroom." The episode with speed skier Alice McKennis Duran is really interesting — though the stories about her multiple injuries are chilling. Fascinating insights about how she conquers fear, for example (with advice that's actually usable for everyday skier!).

I hadn't heard about that podcast--thanks!

Watching the men's and women's tech races this weekend I realized how much I do enjoy it when there is a favorite/someone skiing dominantly. With the men, I think the last 6 (or 8?) slaloms have been won by different people. The men's slalom to me is hands down the least interesting race right now, in large part because of this. With Marta becoming such a clear favorite, but other women right in the mix--I really enjoy that.

Christy

Angel Diva
I've just gotten into watching the world cup races this year, when I discovered I can watch them on Peacock. I usually only watch ski races when the Olympics are on. In the GS today, I noticed one of the skiers (can't remember who) had some kind of bar/bracket thing that connected to the front of her bindings and extended to the tip of the ski. Anyone know what this is for? I'm guessing to make the ski more stiff?

If you get the Olympic Channel, they have the races but with commentary. You might search for races broadcast on NBC or NBC sports, too--they occasionally show a race (they might have Kitzbuhel this weekend). Just thinking that if you are newer to the sport, some commentary might be good.

Christy

Angel Diva
Well our CBC is showing the races, later in the day. Watched the men's slalom while I worked away on my Paddle erg. Couple of gates were very oddly placed! But a Brit that learned on the carpet came in 4th.

Dave Ryding. He got a podium recently! I've always rooted for him and frankly, wished he'd move to Austria so he can train on actual snow. Apparently he owns a cafe in Lancashire (England) too. Maybe he gets nothing in the way of financial support from any entity and can't move.

Christy

Angel Diva
@teppaz with the 2 (!!) downhills at Kitzbuhel this weekend, do you know if one is just going to be considered a make up, and the winner doesn't get any special acclaim, or, if both victories will be considered winning the Hahnenkamm, and 2 people will get their names on gondolas and in the history books? No bartending this year I imagine.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Good questions. I have no idea but I assume the winners will be treated equally and will both be on a gondola. (I know this is anathema but I actually prefer the Wengen course.)

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Good questions. I have no idea but I assume the winners will be treated equally and will both be on a gondola. (I know this is anathema but I actually prefer the Wengen course.)
I love Wengen! My fav course for the men. So bummed was cancelled due to COVID concerns.

Christy

Angel Diva
I do too. It's more beautiful and has more interesting features. Honestly I don't really enjoy the fact that so many skiers fear the Hahnenkamm; I can't forget (local guy) Scott McCartney convulsing, unconscious, after his fall.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I love Wengen! My fav course for the men. So bummed was cancelled due to COVID concerns.
Wengen is quite picturesque! Lauberhorn didn’t seem that daunting but had light fresh snow on it when I was there. It’s steep and windy IIRC but once again you could easily ski it in nice conditions @teppaz . I’ve seen you ski!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Light fresh snow always helps!

Another favorite downhill course is Cortina d'Ampezzo. Would love to ski that one. Those huge cliffs are fantastic on TV so they must be incredible in real life.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I do too. It's more beautiful and has more interesting features. Honestly I don't really enjoy the fact that so many skiers fear the Hahnenkamm; I can't forget (local guy) Scott McCartney convulsing, unconscious, after his fall.
That's why I like it! It's so variable, interesting rather than just a wide run down the side of a mountain. So many of its features would not be permitted now but they keep it on the schedule because it has such great history. That jump off the top, that hard right turn down that shoot before the railroad bridge that if not timed right will send you into the fence. Exit that KernenS section too hot and you'll slam into the mountain. Just mind boggling exciting!

teppaz

Angel Diva
Interesting article about the powerhouse Italian women's squad and its emphasis on teamwork.

Love Federica Brignone throwing shade: “In Italy, we live it all as a team with no special treatment, contrary to other nationals, like the US, which invests a lot in its aces. Yet, for us this format works because, in Italy, we are strong and advanced technically.”

Christy

Angel Diva
Lindsay Vonn is doing commentary for the women's speed races on the Olympic channel this weekend! I always appreciate a racer's perspective, no matter who it is.

HOW TO WATCH (EST)
Friday
4am – Downhill – LIVE – Streaming Peacock TV + Broadcast Olympic Channel
Saturday
4am – Downhill – LIVE – Streaming Peacock + Broadcast Olympic Channel
4:30pm – Downhill – Same Day Delayed Broadcast NBC Sports
Sunday
6am – Super-G – LIVE – Streaming Peacock
6:30pm – Super-G – Same Day Delayed Broadcast NBCSN

teppaz

Angel Diva
Oh man, I don't have cable so no Olympic Channel for me! I wish Peacock would carry the commentary races. I don't see why they don't, it's all NBC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly