• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Warmest ski gloves

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I apologise if this topic has been covered recently, but my search did not yield any results.

I need to buy a pair of very warm non-heated waterproof (obviously!) ski gloves.

Thanks for your help.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Thanks @ski diva. It appears that most people prefer mittens or heated gloves.

I am looking for recommendations for the warmest non-heated ski gloves. I have tried mittens and just don't like them. I am not ready to try heated gloves. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Thanks for posting those threads.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've been using Hestra leather gauntlet gloves for a few years. Liked them well enough to buy another pair on sale last spring. Colors seem to change from season to season. I like the fact that the liner comes out and in theory could be washed.

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en-us/gloves/alpine-pro/30600-women-s-patrol-gauntlet/930/

Hestra has heated liners for these gloves. I ended up with what @lisamamot bought on sale because they didn't work for her. The battery pack is small enough to not be too annoying. Being able to test them, I decided they were worth getting. But have also found that if I add the Series Heatwave liners, then my hands are okay even in single digits. The advantage of the heated liners is that my thumbs stay warmer.

I don't like mittens either.

Christy

Angel Diva
It appears that most people prefer mittens or heated gloves.

I'd venture a guess that few of us prefer wearing mittens. They are bulky and cumbersome (some are worse than others). I bought a whole new ski pole system (Leki) because I have to wear mittens, but I found that using mittens with pole loops was too awkward. But gloves just aren't as warm as mittens, and for a lot of us, they will never be warm enough. (I've had down; I've had the Hestra; I use both of these for dog walking now, or spring skiing). I think gloves used to be warm enough when I was younger, but as we age we are less tolerant to cold of course. Hopefully you can find a pair that works well enough.

Jilly

Staff member
Mittens are warmer. I have a pair of 3 finger mitts. The thumb and first finger are separate, then the next 3 are together, but with the divider in that part. I find mitts twist on me while skiing. This 3 finger mitt doesn't. Made by Swany.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
I have found that fit is incredibly important. The warmest gloves I’ve ever worn are a pair of Hestras. They are heated, but I rarely turn them on. I realized that they are really well insulated and are very snug around the wrist. It makes them a little harder to put on, but they hold in the heat like nobody’s business!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I reluctantly moved to mittens to stay warm, but hate they don’t play nice with pole straps. I’ve not been using pole straps at all because of it. I’m intrigued by three-finger gloves and picked up a pair of Hestras at end-of-season sale. I’ll find out soon how I like this set up.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
Man, I would love a pair of Hestra gloves/mitts. I prefer mitts when it gets below 20. My fingers get too cold. Biggest drawback of mitts though, as mentioned above, is dealing with that darn pole strap. I have mine as wide as it will go. My husband just bought some new Dakine GoreTex insulated gloves that have an zipper on the back of the hand to insert a heat pack.

Jilly

Staff member
I have problems with mitts. They twist around and I sweat too much in them. I have a pair of down filled Swany's I bought at Costco. Too warm.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
My mitts are more bulky than my gloves, so they are harder to get through my pole straps as I don't have the single finger dexterity found with my gloves. My Leki straps are smaller than my Rossi pole straps so they are more annoying to use. Might not be an issue if the straps are more rigid with padding like my husband's Kerma poles, but mine are your standard plain poly strap. I'd love a pair of those quick connect Leki poles!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recommend Gordini Goretex Down III. They are warmer because they are breathable and wicking. They stay dry. There's a zippered pocket for a handwarmer, if needed. Drawcord closure. (There is a nose wipe built in.)

I had their Down II gloves and loved them, too.

Mitts only for below zero days for me.

Scribble

Angel Diva
My Leki straps are smaller than my Rossi pole straps so they are more annoying to use. Might not be an issue if the straps are more rigid with padding like my husband's Kerma poles, but mine are your standard plain poly strap.
As a mitten wearer, I always have this problem with rental poles. A few wraps of duct tape around the strap will help it keep a more glove freindly shape!

I bought a set of Leki S poles last year and have no regrets. No more fiddling with the straps, yay!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
My mitts are more bulky than my gloves, so they are harder to get through my pole straps as I don't have the single finger dexterity found with my gloves. My Leki straps are smaller than my Rossi pole straps so they are more annoying to use. Might not be an issue if the straps are more rigid with padding like my husband's Kerma poles, but mine are your standard plain poly strap. I'd love a pair of those quick connect Leki poles!
I have $15 Level Nine Sports poles. The strap is like a neoprene material that is easy to get my Hestra mittens in and out of. I have never had an issue.

newboots

Angel Diva
I only wear mitts. I’m a little confused - why all the trouble with pole straps and mitts? How would bulky gloves make it any easier?

My mittens are SO much bulkier. It’s significantly easier with gloves. I can insert one finger, or use the other hand to fiddle with the [expletive deleted] pole strap.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
My Burton mitts are a tight fit through the Leki pole straps putting on, and very difficult to remove for the chair lift. After a couple of times panicking at the chairlift almost not getting the straps off in time, I stopped using the straps with the mittens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly