• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Warm and stylish women's ski jacket

Jyohalski

Diva in Training
Hello!

I ski all over - Vermont, out west (Utah, Colorado, Tahoe, Canada, Washington), and out in Europe (France, Switzerland, Italy). I tend to stick to resort skiing (not back country) but I do some tree skiing.. I am on the quest for a stylish women's ski jacket that is also technical (keeps me warm AND dry) and high performance. Any suggestions? My dream coat was a red belted jacket but haven't had much luck beyond a Moncler jacket that is ~$3,000 and a Poivre Blanc jacket that the sales person said wasn't going to be the most warm option. I am not opposed to the Moncler jacket but I want to make sure it is actually technical and not just for apres ski. A few questions:

1) Has anyone used the moncler brand for a performance ski coat and does it actually keep you warm and dry?
2) Has anyone tried the brand Erin Snow? Thoughts on warmth/keeping you dry?
3) Are there any other brands (other than Kjus, goldbergh, bogner, fusalp, perfect moment) that I should consider?

I'm about to throw in a towel and get the Obermeyer Razia Down Hybrid jacket. It's not belted but it is nipped at the waist so has a more sleek look.

I haven't bought a ski jacket since 2002 so I am okay 'splurging' on this one.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have no experience with the brands you mentioned other than Obermeyer. I have 4 Obermeyer jackets and although I find them stylish and warm, I don't wear them often because of the lack of pockets. None of mine have any pockets on the inside of the jacket for my phone, so I have to put my phone in the outside pockets.

Jyohalski

Diva in Training
I have no experience with the brands you mentioned other than Obermeyer. I have 4 Obermeyer jackets and although I find them stylish and warm, I don't wear them often because of the lack of pockets. None of mine have any pockets on the inside of the jacket for my phone, so I have to put my phone in the outside pockets.

Thank you Susan! The Obermeyer jacket I tried on has an interior zip pocket and a goggle pocket, plus two outside front pockets. This is my first time trying out Obermeyer and I like the quality and the price.

Jilly

Staff member
Obermeyer and Bogner are American brands. The rest you've mentioned are European. Obermeyer makes stuff for cold. Maybe I'm bias but Bogner to me was a "ski bunny" brand. All though they do sell suits at over $ 1500.00 Cdn in Whistler.

JessIsTryingToSki

Certified Ski Diva
Just an observation on the Erin Snow - I've never tried one on.

It looks too short for my personal preference. Where my snow pants hit, I'd have a gap if I bent forward. I like my jacket to hit about wrist length. Also, the minimalist pockets would drive me bonkers.

It's cute though. I like the more tailored look. I look like Stay-Puft Marshmallow man when I ski.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Obermeyer jackets are awesome. They consistently have jackets that are stylish, yet designed for real skiing. I bought one of their Tuscany jackets last year and it looks great and keeps me plenty warm (but not too warm, so I can still wear it when the temps are in the upper 20s/low 30s if I put a thin baselayer under it). It's got a waist, too, but not a super-nipped-in waist. Just enough waist so that the lifties don't call me "sir" (I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs, so if I don't wear girly jackets or have my hair showing, this happens all the time).

That Tuscany was a little too stylish, actually. Came with a strip of fake lynx fur on the hood (cute!), and that strip of fur caused every fool on the mountain to assume I was a ski bunny. After some (old white guy) jerk on the lift threw a bunch of shade on my claim about skiing speed and technique while I was wearing it, I took the fur off and gave it to my cats as a toy. Happily, it was meant to be detachable. I'm sure the manufacturers designed it that way for cleaning purposes rather than reclaiming snow cred purposes, but it worked. Once I took it off people stopped treating me like a bimbo.

Oh yeah, and I left Old White Guy eating my spray on the run.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I have the Tuscany jacket too, and took that strip of fur off as soon as I got home! never thought to give it to the cats to play with though...I'll have to see if I still have it!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We rubbed a little catnip into the fur, and our boys went nuts over it. It's the perfect length for bunny-kicking and lying on top of. It's been in their hands, I mean paws, over a year and it still migrates all over the house.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
oooh, I love the Tuscany jacket but found it a little too short for me (5'11) as I like my jackets to be lower hip length. I just bought the bogner Gwen jacket, which is 27" long and very warm - but not a ton of pockets, and strangely, the pocket zippers are not wide enough to accommodate a ski pass zip tie! Funny. I'd had the same Patagonia jacket for years and was ready for something a little more feminine, and it hits that mark, without being over the top. It is very warm!

Christy

Angel Diva
I've been so impressed with my Obermeyer. I'm not sure if it's the Tuscany but it looks like it. I bought it at a ski store for skiing however it pretty quickly became my regular winter jacket and it has held up so well. It looks good enough that I will even wear it to work.

I kept my fake fur on and I don't like wearing that in the rain or snow. It just looks like a wet cat LOL. I bet my dog would like destroying it – – I never thought of that. But I like the way it looks on.

Jyohalski

Diva in Training
Just an observation on the Erin Snow - I've never tried one on.

It looks too short for my personal preference. Where my snow pants hit, I'd have a gap if I bent forward. I like my jacket to hit about wrist length. Also, the minimalist pockets would drive me bonkers.

It's cute though. I like the more tailored look. I look like Stay-Puft Marshmallow man when I ski.

Thanks for your input! I noticed it was shorter as well. The shop people at a store I went to in Vermont said it was definitely warm, but not as warm as say a Kjus or SOS brand jacket. I also pinged with the people from Backcountry and they said the Erin Snow jackets are warm, but not as warm as some of the bogner jackets.

Jyohalski

Diva in Training
Obermeyer jackets are awesome. They consistently have jackets that are stylish, yet designed for real skiing. I bought one of their Tuscany jackets last year and it looks great and keeps me plenty warm (but not too warm, so I can still wear it when the temps are in the upper 20s/low 30s if I put a thin baselayer under it). It's got a waist, too, but not a super-nipped-in waist. Just enough waist so that the lifties don't call me "sir" (I'm 5'10" and 200 lbs, so if I don't wear girly jackets or have my hair showing, this happens all the time).

That Tuscany was a little too stylish, actually. Came with a strip of fake lynx fur on the hood (cute!), and that strip of fur caused every fool on the mountain to assume I was a ski bunny. After some (old white guy) jerk on the lift threw a bunch of shade on my claim about skiing speed and technique while I was wearing it, I took the fur off and gave it to my cats as a toy. Happily, it was meant to be detachable. I'm sure the manufacturers designed it that way for cleaning purposes rather than reclaiming snow cred purposes, but it worked. Once I took it off people stopped treating me like a bimbo.

Oh yeah, and I left Old White Guy eating my spray on the run.

I am glad you left him eating your spray! That is annoying of him!

Jyohalski

Diva in Training
Thank you everyone for the feedback! I know what you mean about "snow bunny" look versus a jacket meant for real skiing. I am a 'real skier' but I was hoping for a cuter/more feminine look too. There needs to be a brand that fuses "ski bunny" and "real skier"! I have decided to keep my Obermeyer Razia down jacket (in neon rave green!) for now. I love the bright color - my friends have called it 'vomit green' but I'll stand by 'neon rave green!

I found out about a brand named Aether that makes good winter/ski wear. There is a store near me so I might go check it out.

elemmac

Angel Diva
@Jyohalski - based on the brands you've listed, it sounds like you're looking for more of the "European" style ski jackets...if so...I'd throw Spyder, Rossignol or maybe Eider into the mix as brands to check out.

Last one I'd say to check out is Canada Goose. I'm not exactly sure about the tech in their fabrics (I believe they are considered "water resistant", not "waterproof"). But if warm, durable and stylish is what you're going for...they're right up that alley.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have a nice Kjus jacket that is both technical and stylish..It is a slim fit though. Got it on a great sale at Sierra Trading Post.. Very waterproof and insulated as well.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you in Vermont, then the warmest jacket is the Lay-D-Down by Columbia. @ski diva has one and has done a review on it.

I totally agree. That jacket is very warm. Even on really cold days I am not wearing a lot of layers under it. Usually one base layer and a thin Patagonia top will do it for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly