• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Want to buy first pair of skis - HELP!

ace.1001

Diva in Training
Hello All,

I know this season has been cut short due to the virus. But I'm keeping an eye on sales and hoping to find a good deal but want to be prepared to pull the trigger.

Background:
Skied growing up off and on. Crossed over to snowboarding and after about 12 years of doing no winter sports, I'm back to skiing.

Lake Tahoe - Boreal is my home mountain ((for now) We have 6 people in our family so its the most affordable)).

Ability:
I took three lessons this year and progressed well. Started at a resort level 3 and finished at a 5 and then skied on my own after the lessons were done. I stick to mostly groomers and on-piste. I will go off-piste for a bit but not much. I love my blue runs and not sure I have the desire to go on blacks for the near future. I've had two knee surgeries growing up and I just want to have fun. I do ski with my family but I also like to peel off and challenge myself. I would like to demo skis but not sure I know enough about what I'm looking for and I can't demo this season as the resorts are closed. I would say I'm an intermediate skier who is looking to advance but I will never be a World Cup skier.

Current skis:
Outside of the rentals, I've been borrowing Salmon Hot Chilis, they are older in a 2006 in 158. My legs feel fatigued after riding them about 3/4 through the day. I'm 5'6" and weight 125 lbs.

Goals:
Find a ski that will help me advance my technique. Something I can grow into but not too much to handle off the get go. I want to be able to cruise the mountain with my family (mostly on green runs) and then venture off into the harder blue by myself. Snow in the Tahoe area has been bad this year but trying to find a good ski for that area. Looking for a one ski quiver because I'm just starting out on owning skis.

Here is my short list of what I'm considering. Any advice or other options?
BB 82 in 159
Line Pandora 84 in 158
Volkl Yumi 84 in 154
Atomic Vantage 86C in 157

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Assuming that you meant BP 82 in 159, those were my new skis this Christmas! I found them to be an improvement over my beginner skis, and I'm now comfortable on blue trails as well. I found them to cut through the crud better than my old skis, probably due to the tip rocker, and to just make skiing more fun. I'm 5'4", 142 lbs, 66 years old, and this is my fourth year skiing. I'm very happy with them.

However, I ski in Vermont. I can't comment on how these Black Pearls would be in the West.

ace.1001

Diva in Training
Assuming that you meant BP 82 in 159, those were my new skis this Christmas! I found them to be an improvement over my beginner skis, and I'm now comfortable on blue trails as well. I found them to cut through the crud better than my old skis, probably due to the tip rocker, and to just make skiing more fun. I'm 5'4", 142 lbs, 66 years old, and this is my fourth year skiing. I'm very happy with them.

However, I ski in Vermont. I can't comment on how these Black Pearls would be in the West.

Yes, I meant BP! Thank you. Glad to hear you love them. I don't know what the difference is from East to West coast snow?!?!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thank you but for whatever reason, I'm not able to view that link even when logged in.
Welcome! That thread is in a section for Divas Only. You need more posts to see the topics there, such as the Gear Swap.

An easy way to get to know more Divas and get in posts is to create a Getting To Know You Thread. You may need to post a little more to see that section. If you include a location in your thread title, it makes it a bit easier for Divas who ski in your favorite region to notice.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I don't know what the difference is from East to West coast snow?!?!
A lot of the time skiing in the northeast is like skiing early in the morning after a warm spring day with temps in the 40s that's followed by a cold night with temps in the 20s. Also it rains during the winter in the northeast a lot more often than in Tahoe. Followed by frigid weather that freezes everything solid. When a northeast ski talks about "icy" conditions, they really are talking about ice, as opposed to "hard snow." Northeast skiers need to keep their edges much sharper than those in the Rockies.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, I meant BP! Thank you. Glad to hear you love them. I don't know what the difference is from East to West coast snow?!?!

^What she said. We rarely have a “powder” day, as snowfall measured in feet are rare here. To lengthen the season, our ski areas rely heavily on machine-made snow, which can be very firm and packs down quickly.

I still have very little idea of how to ski in powder. But ice is not extremely intimidating (except when it’s the whole trail, and steep). I can manage patches of ice without tending up. :ski:

Jilly

Staff member
Last fall I was out to Lake Louise. So conditions similar to what you have. Maybe a little damper. I rented the new 2020 Blizzard Brahma 82. But I'm not sure what length. I decided that this would be my new out west ski. I've also had the Temptation 88 in past quivers, but the new Experience 88W is different. I can't say much on the BP's. I hated the first incarnation and haven't tried any of the new ones. I kept missing the demo days this year.

The Brahma is the unisex version of the Black Pearl. I'm a little heavier at 150, but 5'4 and an advanced CSIA L2 instructor.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This ‘season’ (insert crying emoji here) I spent more days on a Volkl Yumi 84 (161L) than any other ski by choice. I’m not sure who the Yumi is built for, but I’m guessing it’s a ski to grow with? I’m 5’4 and 140+ and took that ski everywhere. I had no problem on hard pack or 7” of fresh snow. I ski everything but big scary steeps.

ace.1001

Diva in Training
I was going to say that! Welcome to the forum! Get your posts up so you can see that section of the forum.

Thanks, Im having FOMO not being able to see what that link goes to! haha. Its kind of an odd setup that there are restrictions for newbies but what do I know?!?!

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks, Im having FOMO not being able to see what that link goes to! haha. Its kind of an odd setup that there are restrictions for newbies but what do I know?!?!
It's because it's a private area that won't come up in random internet searches. It allows us a measure of safety and also privacy in some conversations. It's not about keeping newbies out! We're glad you're here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna