• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Want to Avoid Waxing Your Skis? Consider DPS Phantom 2.0 If Keeping Skis 3+ Years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another aspect of Phantom that's become clearer in the last year is that racers are finding a side benefit when they are on treated bases even though race wax is still necessary for optimal glide. I heard about the idea during the tour of the DPS factory in April.

From the Aussie ski forum by the DPS distributor:
Our testing has proven that Phantom actually retains wax longer than a non treated base. So we're getting a lot of racers treating their skis now for two reasons:
1: They still have a good gliding base when their race wax wears off
2: Their race wax lasts longer on the base.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
I dropped off my new (1st pair of) skis at a local shop to get phantom applied and picked them up today. I will get to try them out next Friday for a day trip to Tahoe.

The ski tech said in colder conditions I may still want to consider waxing the base if it gets too grippy — but he didn’t have any personal experience skiing on it.

Is there a certain temperature point where I should still consider waxing?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied my Renoun 77 last week as it had the Phantom treatment applied over the Summer. I did not notice any grabby sensation. They skied as they always had. I suppose the temperature of the snow may make a difference to skis that seem to be grabby initially after application, but I honestly don't know. Some people report that issue and some do not. I used those skis last week specifically to try them given those reports and to ski a few runs. I did not wax beforehand; just went with the DPS only.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I dropped off my new (1st pair of) skis at a local shop to get phantom applied and picked them up today. I will get to try them out next Friday for a day trip to Tahoe.

The ski tech said in colder conditions I may still want to consider waxing the base if it gets too grippy — but he didn’t have any personal experience skiing on it.

Is there a certain temperature point where I should still consider waxing?
When we discussed frigid temps in Feb 2019, Posts 46, 49-50, my impression is that Phantom is fine into the teens. Perhaps single digits. However, if going to ski when it's below 0ºF then cold weather wax is probably worth the effort. I didn't have any issues skiing in the teens in the northeast last season. I was using skis treated with Phantom 1.0. The performance of 2.0 is a apparently a bit better.

The Phantom glide is similar to a good all-weather wax job.

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
When we discussed frigid temps in Feb 2019, Posts 46, 49-50, my impression is that Phantom is fine into the teens. Perhaps single digits. However, if going to ski when it's below 0ºF then cold weather wax is probably worth the effort. I didn't have any issues skiing in the teens in the northeast last season. I was using skis treated with Phantom 1.0. The performance of 2.0 is a apparently a bit better.

The Phantom glide is similar to a good all-weather wax job.
Okay that what I thought but the ski tech made me pause for a bit. It is really useful to know that it worked for temps in the teens!

Right now the forecast for my day trip is estimating the temps as 20º-30ºF, so it seems like I should be fine without wax then.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I skied on my phantomed skis for first time on our way up to MIL's for Christmas. Temps were in the low 40s, so snow was damp. I expected puddles, too, like in the spring, but there weren't really any - the snow just packed into quite a slick surface. Skis worked great, but I did get going pretty fast a few times!

Pixie Perfect

Certified Ski Diva
Today I went skiing in spring like conditions — crusty in the morning soft (but not too slushy) in the afternoon. They did great although they slid a bit when I hit a slick spot on a small park jump, as a result I overshot it. Whoops! The second time my instructor had me go through the run I landed the jump.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly