• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Want to Avoid Waxing Your Skis? Consider DPS Phantom 2.0 If Keeping Skis 3+ Years.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
So I got my phantom 2.0 and reading the instructions and the website FAQ. Also saw the videos posted in this thread. One thing is still not crystal clear to me. There is only one foam pad. That means I use it for both part A and part B, right? Do I use one side for A and the other side for B, or it doesn’t matter?

marzNC

Angel Diva
So I got my phantom 2.0 and reading the instructions and the website FAQ. Also saw the videos posted in this thread. One thing is still not crystal clear to me. There is only one foam pad. That means I use it for both part A and part B, right? Do I use one side for A and the other side for B, or it doesn’t matter?
Doesn't really matter. You can wipe off the foam pad after applying A. Obviously Part B goes on after Part A so having a little extra Part A on the pad won't matter.

What I learned doing the treatment the first time is that you may not need to completely empty a packet. You would to avoid having an extra drip off the sides. Best to wipe off any extra that gets on edges or top sheet.

I found that since my skis are relatively small in terms of area (<90mm underfoot, <160cm long), there is more than enough in a packet for one ski. In fact, I could probably do two pairs of carvers with one kit if I did them at the same time. Certainly could do 3 pairs of skis with 2 kits.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
My day off happens to be sunny so I decided to phantom my Absolut Joys (since all the resorts are closed!). They didn’t need a base grind, so the shop used base cleaner and roto-brushed as best they can. To minimize any leftover base cleaner, I wiped down the bases at home with multiple passes of wet and dry microfiber cloths and let dry overnight. That was yesterday. I did the phantom treatment today. Temperature was between 37F and 48F and breezy.

Part A took about an hour and 30 minutes to cure. Part B took almost 4 hours. I left them out in the sun until the chemical was completely dry. I didn’t listen to @marzNC and used the whole packets and I think that’s why it took so much longer to dry. I wished there were two of the brushes instead of just one. The cork and bristles got pretty gunky after Part A and I didn’t think it was as effective in scrubbing off Part B. Since the bases are structured, I also wonder if I got all of it off from the grooves(?).

After doing it myself, I would definitely pay $50 to have a shop do it. I don’t care for all the scrubbing. There’s a reason why I don’t do my own lawn anymore. Too much work :smile:. Oh well, I got one more application and it’s for the BP88. Hopefully, my schedule and the weather cooperate and I can do it before the (tentative) trip to Breck.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Part A took about an hour and 30 minutes to cure. Part B took almost 4 hours. I left them out in the sun until the chemical was completely dry. I didn’t listen to @marzNC and used the whole packets and I think that’s why it took so much longer to dry. I wished there were two of the brushes instead of just one. The cork and bristles got pretty gunky after Part A and I didn’t think it was as effective in scrubbing off Part B. Since the bases are structured, I also wonder if I got all of it off from the grooves(?).
Should be fine. Like many tasks, it's easier after the first experience. Definitely better to stop pouring when your skis are pretty well covered and just spread the liquid out while working it in. I learned that when learning to wax skis. It was easy to end up with too much wax, and than meant more scraping.

I suggest that the next time you pick a day when the temperature will be over 50.

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just dropped my black pearls and daughters new Yumis to get them done in Park City. They are having 50% off everything in the shop so it’s 50 for the goo and 60 for the application, or $110 total. Excited to try it tomorrow!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have skied my BPs (2011, 88mm) that I treated with Phantom 2.0 last fall for a few days in warm spring conditions at Alta and Solitude in the last week. Fair to say that I'm very glad I decided to bring them in addition to my all-mountain skis that I haven't treated yet. When temps are in the high 40s, I have far more confidence that my skis will keep moving if there is sticky snow so I tend not to slow down as much or get as tense in anticipation of problem areas. That means I can stay out a bit longer and worry less.

Also did a couple runs with on DPS Nina 99 skis that were treated with Phantom at the end of the Alta Demo Day on April 6. Far more glide than the runs I took with other demo skis from other tents in the hour beforehand. I think @Olesya Chornoguz also noticed that the DPS skis she demo'd had better glide than other demo skis at about the same time. The temp at the base was at least 45 after lunch.

MissySki

Angel Diva
For some in New England.. Proctor Ski and Board in Nashua, NH announced yesterday that they just received their Phantom station. For me, that option will be most convenient from what’s available around Boston now. I assume for some others as well. Pricing will be $150, but they may run a $125 special to start.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have skied my BPs (2011, 88mm) that I treated with Phantom 2.0 last fall for a few days in warm spring conditions at Alta and Solitude in the last week. Fair to say that I'm very glad I decided to bring them in addition to my all-mountain skis that I haven't treated yet. When temps are in the high 40s, I have far more confidence that my skis will keep moving if there is sticky snow so I tend not to slow down as much or get as tense in anticipation of problem areas. That means I can stay out a bit longer and worry less.

Also did a couple runs with on DPS Nina 99 skis that were treated with Phantom at the end of the Alta Demo Day on April 6. Far more glide than the runs I took with other demo skis from other tents in the hour beforehand. I think @Olesya Chornoguz also noticed that the DPS skis she demo'd had better glide than other demo skis at about the same time. The temp at the base was at least 45 after lunch.
Yes, I think Phantom makes a noticeable difference in glide for warmer temperatures!

Jilly

Staff member
So what happens to the bases, when you need a grind? I try to avoid rocks etc, but it doesn't always happen. So probably the first of the year and 1/2 way through a year I need to do grind.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Phantom is supposed to permeate/ become part of the base all the way through. So when you do a grind, it is still all good.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
So what happens to the bases, when you need a grind? I try to avoid rocks etc, but it doesn't always happen. So probably the first of the year and 1/2 way through a year I need to do grind.
The treatment supposedly permeates the bases. A grind would expose a fresh layer of phantomed bases and does not affect the glide. I seem to recall reading someone who did a grind and that was the case.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For some in New England.. Proctor Ski and Board in Nashua, NH announced yesterday that they just received their Phantom station. For me, that option will be most convenient from what’s available around Boston now. I assume for some others as well. Pricing will be $150, but they may run a $125 special to start.
That is great news as I'm only 10 miles away. I will have to look into having my skis done in the fall- FYI they normally close for the summer in late April.

Last edited:

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my Stormriders done on Sunday after having a really frustrating morning of sticky skiing that involved me hitting a slush patch and sliding 50 feet down a run, head first, on my back. It was $150 at Alpenglow Sports in Tahoe City. I'm normally a DIYer, but the weather here has been inconsistent to say the least, and I'm not sure I would have had enough strong sunlight this week to get it done, so I was happy to pay the extra $50 to have someone else do it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
That is great news as I'm only 10 miles away. I will have to look into having my skis done in the fall- FYI they normally close for the summer in late April.

Apparently they are up and running, and have already done some skis. Right now it’s $125 for just the Phantom application, or you can add a sharpen and base grind for $150 total. You have to leave the skis overnight of course. I really want to go do it during the special, but not sure if I’ll be able to get it done before their end of season.. With you being so close it might be worth it to go now versus fall though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly