• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Want to Avoid Waxing Your Skis? Consider DPS Phantom 2.0 If Keeping Skis 3+ Years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Guess I managed to get a decent treatment on my daughter's BPs using 2.0. She skied on them at Wachusett yesterday with no issues.

The BPs were bought new a couple years ago and set up with telemark bindings. But haven't been used much, no more than 20 days total and only a few hours on manmade snow. I waxed them at home before my daughter's spring break trip to Alta last March. Might have been waxed one other time and came freshly waxed when I bought them online. Since my local ski shop doesn't do stone grinds, I just brushed the bases a lot. I had watched the Ski Essentials video with the DPS trainer. He mentioned not using chemical base cleaners.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's what the treatment process looks like. This skier in the UK was using 2.0 in October and it was the first time he used Phantom. He won't get to ski the skis for a couple more months.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The number of Dealers listed on the DPS website that have the Phantom Cure Station is growing. Choose Phantom or Phantom Cure Station under Category.

In the east, only Ski Essentials aka Pinnacle Sports in Stowe so far. Can get Phantom 2.0 applied to new skis bought online for $150. So $50 for the treatment service using the Cure Station.

A little surprised by Bogus Basin, ID and Bend, OR but given that DPS skis are popular with backcountry skiers, perhaps it makes sense. Have heard that not having wax on skins is a positive. Escape Route at Whistler already have the Cure Station. They posted a video about Phantom on their FB Page in early Nov with an interview of a backcountry skier who tested it out last May-June. He liked Phantom.

Phantom Cure Stations as of 03Dec2018
Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 8.16.22 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
That's the curing station coming to MEC in Vancouver. Don't see any curing stations in eastern Canada. Closes one comes up as Ski Essentials. Lots of retailers, but no one doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if Dinardo's (Ottawa) and LaChance (Tremblant) get the station. They have the volume of skis going out.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Aspen Ski Co. is completely on board with Phantom. All demo skis at the Aspen resort ski shop, Four Mountain Sports, will be treated with 2.0 using a Cure Station for the 2018-19 season. That's a pretty big deal that was announced in early November 2018. Presumably Alterra resort COOs are well aware.

DPS PHANTOM Joins Forces with Aspen Skiing Company

marzNC

Angel Diva
DPS is starting a marketing campaign. With the early start in a number of regions, there is more experience to draw on for 2.0.

From email I got on 12/17/18:

Early season reviews are rolling in—see what customers are saying...

"I’m on season 2 with PHANTOM (50 days per season), and it’s still as good as day 1 and I consistently hit speeds in the 40mph range and even 50s if conditions are right. It does what it says!"

—Nick D.

"Just put this on, and I’m passing people on race skis on cat tracks on my 125 underfoot pow skis and gliding across traverses I’ve skated my whole life. Very very impressed."

—Connor R.

"5 ski days on PHANTOM 2.0 on Wailer 99s in early Colorado. So far impressed with the glide from 1 degree to 35 degrees. No lag on green slopes or black diamonds on powder, packed powder, or groomers. If I get two seasons out of it, it pays for the base grind and application!"

—Ben M.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've skied my treated AJs for 6 days in a row in NH/ME, including 3 days at Sunday River in varied conditions. Needless to say, normally would need waxing by now. Doing great with Phantom 1.0 (applied at home in NC in Jan 2018).

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the northeast, in addition to Pinnacle Sports in Stowe (Ski Essentials), Outdoor Gear Exchange (GearX) in Burlington, VT has a Cure Station now.

In SLC, there are now 6 Cure Stations. 2nd Tracks is on board.

There is one Cure Station in Tahoe so far (Tahoe City). Also at Sports LTD in the LA area.

There are 3 Cure Stations in Portland, one in Seattle, and one in Bend.

JH, Aspen, Park City, Whistler are the MCP/Ikon or Epic destination resorts with Cure Stations readily available. People who vacation at Squaw/Alpine aren't too far from Tahoe City.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've decided to keep the Atomic Vantage 80 that I picked up early this season. So now that I am keeping them, I have decided to get some Phantom 2.0 for them. Question is, how long will I have to wait for enough sun to apply it?

I noticed the other day that Level Nine offers DPS Phantom now too, both as a kit and pre-applied.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've decided to keep the Atomic Vantage 80 that I picked up early this season. So now that I am keeping them, I have decided to get some Phantom 2.0 for them. Question is, how long will I have to wait for enough sun to apply it?

I noticed the other day that Level Nine offers DPS Phantom now too, both as a kit and pre-applied.
Could be a while in Boston. As I remember, best if the temperature is over 50.

Looks like there is a Cure Station in Portland, ME and one in southern VT now. The list/map on the DPS locator map keep growing.

Soujan

Angel Diva

I was able to cure the skis when the temp was mid-40s. Problem was bright enough direct sun. I left them outside for double the amount of time the directions called for because I didn't have much direct sunlight since I put it on in November. I did have a problem curing part 2. It didn't cure properly even though I had bright sun. I put them back out the next day and it cured. I wrote to DPS and got a response back that it was probably due to over saturation. Since my skis are pretty short and narrow, I could have used one box on 2 pairs of skis. Live and learn. I have one more box and might try to use it on 2 pairs next time.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dropped my skis off today for Phantom-ing. REI in Denver has a Phantom Cure Station. $60 for the service, including base grind, and $100 for the product. They estimated a 2-day turnaround, based on their backlog of ski and snowboard work.

If I did the work myself, it would cost $125 for the product and the base grind. $35 is a deal for knowing this will be completed within a couple of days and by someone who has experience with the product and process.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I wish there would be a cure station in the DC metro. Looking at the number of ski cases coming down the carousel at baggage claim Saturday night at Dulles, the demand could be there.

On a related question, if the base is structured, would a base grind change that? Does the question make sense?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I wish there would be a cure station in the DC metro. Looking at the number of ski cases coming down the carousel at baggage claim Saturday night at Dulles, the demand could be there.

On a related question, if the base is structured, would a base grind change that? Does the question make sense?
Perhaps mention DPS Phantom when you are in a local ski shop. :smile:

Good question about the structure. The best prep for treating with Phantom is a base grind, which means a relevant structure after the grind. At least I think it should. Phantom is not "on" the base, it's a chemical bonding process that's "in" the base. So the structure is fully exposed to do what it's designed to do.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Monday was warm and sunny. I opted not to ski and took the dog for a nice long walk instead. Tuesday was even warmer, I think it got up to 64, but the sun didn't come out until the afternoon. Two nice days in a row. Why, oh why did I not think to Phantom my skis!?! The box is sitting right on my kitchen counter!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like the price for having new skis treated with Phantom 2.0 when buying from an e-store is $150. So far, SkiEssentials and Level Nine are the websites I know about. Buying the package for DIY is $99 so it's $50 for treating the bases using a Cure Station.

SkiEssentials doesn't bother to offer Phantom for beginner/intermediate skis, which makes sense. Not much point in spending the extra money for skis that are not likely to be kept for more than a season or two.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SkiEssentials doesn't bother to offer Phantom for beginner/intermediate skis, which makes sense. Not much point in spending the extra money for skis that are not likely to be kept for more than a season or two.

That is ridiculous. I have had intermediate skis for 2-3 years and will be keeping them for another 2 or 3. Not everyone aspires to be an advanced or expert skier. Not everyone progresses from intermediate to advanced in 2 seasons. Not every "advanced" skier chooses "advanced" skis.

When I am in the market for my next intermediate skis, if SkiEssentials has what I want, they will have the choice of putting Phantom on my skis or having me go somewhere else to purchase skis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly