• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Want to Avoid Waxing Your Skis? Consider DPS Phantom 2.0 If Keeping Skis 3+ Years.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'd heard a while back that it's okay for to have a delay between the curing of Part A and Part B for a DIY application. Apparently it can be as long as a week, but a month is too long. Of course, with 2.0 only need an hour in good sun for each Part so not as hard to find a good day to do the DIY process. (1.0 required 3 hours to cure each Part.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
The number of ski shops with Cure Stations in N. America is up to 116. There is a shop up in Alyeska too that doesn't show on the Dealer Locator map below. Besides SLC where DPS is located, Seattle, San Francisco, Denver, New York City, and Montréal are the metropolitan areas that have several shops providing DPS treatment service. None of the DPS dealers in MA or NH are even carrying Phantom, only DPS skis. There are a couple shops in southern CT that have Phantom and a Cure Station. Three shops in VT (Burlington, Killington, Stowe) plus Ski Essentials can treat skis before shipping.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 5.22.06 PM.png

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The dealer locate maps are not up to date. Proctor Ski and Board in Nashua NH has a cure station (I had mine done there on their new cure station just before they closed for the summer) and they will be selling DPS skis next season.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The dealer locate maps are not up to date. Proctor Ski and Board in Nashua NH has a cure station (I had mine done there on their new cure station just before they closed for the summer) and they will be selling DPS skis next season.
Good to know! I've also learned that there is a Cure Station in Australia that doesn't snow on the Dealer Locator map either. I think there may be a few in Europe too.

Learned that Proctor Ski used to be called Ken Jones. Sounds like a great ski shop with a long history.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Good to know! I've also learned that there is a Cure Station in Australia that doesn't snow on the Dealer Locator map either. I think there may be a few in Europe too.

Learned that Proctor Ski used to be called Ken Jones. Sounds like a great ski shop with a long history.

I’m not sure how they relate, or if they branched off etc. because there is still a Ken Jones as well.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m not sure how they relate, or if they branched off etc. because there is still a Ken Jones as well.

[off-topic] The history is on the Proctor FB page. Ken Jones died several years ago at age 86. The Ken Jones Ski Mart in Manchester is still owned and operated by the Jones family.

As an aside . . . The Bob Skinners ski shop that did the Sunapee Women's Demo Day isn't owned by Bob any more. Apparently Frank MacConnell bought it in 1985, but didn't change the name of the store. At the demo day, I asked if he was "Bob" when he was setting up a pair of skis for me. He said no, he was Frank, but he had owned the shop for a long time. :smile:

https://www.nashuatelegraph.com/new...ones-ski-mart-is-moving-will-change-its-name/

From Proctor Ski Shop FB Page:
" . . .
Over the next 35 years, Ken Jones and Jeff [Proctor] were involved in several different ski retail operations, resulting in the 29-year operation of Ken Jones Ski Mart Nashua at 15 Spitbrook Road. This operation was very successful; however, as the company grew and Ken's health unfortunately began to decline, Jeff became more involved in the future of the company. He recognized a need for a bigger parking lot, more space, and a better store environment.

In the Spring and Summer of 2013, Jeff discovered an opportunity to purchase the former Dexter Shoe at 195 Daniel Webster Highway and convert it into the ideal shopping destination for skiers and boarders. After Ken Jones passed away in the Spring of 2013, Jeff bought his shares of Proctor Jones Ski Inc, and purchased the former Dexter Shoe. Ken's wish was that if a Jones was not in the business that his name not be used.

Jeff honored Ken's request by changing the name of the store to Proctor Ski & Board, and bought the real estate with an LLC called Proctor Square, in honor of his parents and their home in Hopkinton, NH. A Proctor Square sign that was at the Proctor Home in Hopkinton for 50 years now greets people as they come to Proctor Ski & Board at 195 Daniel Webster Highway in Nashua.

Although we have a new name, we are still the same people you have come to know and trust over the last 30 years. Thank you for your loyalty and continuing to celebrate the rich history of the store with us! We look forward to seeing you soon."

[/off-topic]

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This technology sounds awesome. From a quick search I'm not finding any places in New Zealand that apply it, I wonder when it will make its way down to my little corner of the world :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
This technology sounds awesome. From a quick search I'm not finding any places in New Zealand that apply it, I wonder when it will make its way down to my little corner of the world :smile:
I've heard that Small Planet in NZ will get a Cure Station at some point.

Doing the treatment at home is really not that difficult. Just need a sunny day with temps over 30ºF, about 0ºC. There is a video of the process on the DPS website.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Phantom 2.0 applied today on DH's Renoun Endurance and my Z-77s. Warm here in Arizona and sunny enough through some cloud cover to get these done!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep looking at the 2 boxes of Phantom 2.0 on my desk, but I want to shoot for 3 pairs with the 2 boxes and can't quite decide on pair #3.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I keep looking at the 2 boxes of Phantom 2.0 on my desk, but I want to shoot for 3 pairs with the 2 boxes and can't quite decide on pair #3.
When in doubt, you want to pick skis that are going to be used during warm spring days. That's when Phantom is better than home waxing because there is no need to add wax after a few runs.

I haven't done my all-mountain skis that I only ski out west on soft snow, mostly natural snow. Was waiting until it's worth doing a stone grind. Have to get that done near/at a ski resort because my local shop doesn't have that capability. In NC, I can find a good day to do the treatment during the winter without too much trouble.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What made you decide to go for it?

After reading this thread and the other reviews online I knew it would be a decision I'd not regret. I sent this very thread to my DH as I felt he would like the product, and then he bought it , and the boxes arrived a week ago. We are in the monsoon here in AZ; which means the daily rainstorms while predictable, are also unpredictable as to when they fall. Have to wait until we can pretty much know that it won't rain for a day or so to apply a product like this. He said the bases turned a slightly different color when cured. I am assuming this to be the norm?

As for why I had him use the Phantom on the Renoun Z-77 over the wider Fischer all mountain skis I have: The Renoun skis performed so well in the Spring conditions that it seemed to make sense to apply something to enhance that quality. I may purchase a Ripstick 88 as well, therefore if I prefer those more than the 84 Fischers, then the new skis will also get the treatment later on.

marzNC

Angel Diva
He said the bases turned a slightly different color when cured. I am assuming this to be the norm?
Yep, the bases look a bit odd after Phantom treatment. Did you put on the round Phantom stickers?

Looking forward to a report after you two get on snow. :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Cure Station in Cooma at Rhythm Snowsports is now listed on the interactive DPS Locator list Rhythm also has shops in Japan, which will have Cure Stations before the 2019-20 season starts.

There is a well known instructor who is testing Phantom 2.0 during the 2019 season. He has 20 days on snow so far using the pair of alpine skis he treated himself, mostly while teaching. He also teaches telemark and nordic.

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/dps-phantom-the-perspective-of-someone-who-works-on-snow.85105/

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a well known instructor who is testing Phantom 2.0 during the 2019 season. He has 20 days on snow so far using the pair of alpine skis he treated himself, mostly while teaching. He also teaches telemark and nordic.
The Australian instructor noted that if he didn't have Phantom on the skis he's been using for alpine skiing, he probably would've waxed 4-5 times since he uses them on hard snow.

I used my 2015 AJs for 18 ski days in the northeast and Massanutten last season. Without Phantom ideally I would've waxed 2-3 times at home before the three ski trips, plus paid for a shop wax overnight once during each 1-week northeast ski safari. I skied the AJs at least 7 days the season before, including a few days in May at Squaw and Mammoth. In the late spring, performance was better than warm wax. But definitely has been worth the $99 investment. I expect to keep using the AJs for at least a couple more seasons since I'll only be using them in the east.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Looks like there is now a cure station in MA, at the Framingham REI.

Wait so they also do tuning there or..? I’m planning to drop a pair of my skis in Nashua this weekend, but Framingham is waaaaaay closer to me. However, I want those skis ground and tuned before applying Phantom and I have another pair I just want tuned but no Phantom. Hmmmmmm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly