• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Want a Neihues Mad River Glen trail map? 2020 Kickstarter

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just discovered the Kickstarter to help cover the commission cost for James Niehues to paint a trail map for Mad River Glen. As of this morning, already well past the target amount of $7500. Backers can choose between different versions of the finished trail map painting, unsigned or signed and framed. What's really neat is that any extra money goes to MRG via the non-profit Stark Mountain Foundation.

This is the second Kickstarter for Open Road Ski Company, which was formed a few years ago in order to make a book of Neihues trail maps a reality. That was also a roaring success.

A Ski Legend Paints Mad River Glen a New Trail Map
Help give this iconic mountain a new trail map by legendary ski artist James Niehues

Project Timeline
February 2020: Mad River Glen, Stark Mountain Foundation, James Niehues and Open Road Ski Company discuss the need for a new trail map
June 2020: Open Road Ski Company provides seed funding for Niehues to begin work
September 2020: Kickstarter Campaign
October 2020: Niehues completes painting of Mad River Glen
November 2020: Delivery of Art Prints begins
January 2021: Open Road Ski Company donates Niehues' map and campaign profits to Stark Mountain Foundation in support of Mad River Glen

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ohhhhhhh interesting, and wow have they exceeded their goal! Hmm I'm not sure which to do, but it would be cool to have a MRG print..

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ohhhhhhh interesting, and wow have they exceeded their goal! Hmm I'm not sure which to do, but it would be cool to have a MRG print..
Looks like the limited edition framed and signed prints are pretty popular considering the price.

The most popular size seems to be the 15"x15".

Just over $50K already . . . with 29 days to go. :becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Looks like the limited edition framed and signed prints are pretty popular considering the price.

The most popular size seems to be the 15"x15".

Just over $50K already . . . with 29 days to go. :becky:

I was interested in the limited edition signed and framed one too before I saw the price! Haha IF it were my home mountain I could see splurging because that's pretty cool, but in my case I think I can make do with a much cheaper version like the 15x15 if I decide to go in on it. :thumbsup: Awesome that so many people are going for it with the excess cash going back to the mountain!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Quite a start! All the limited edition signed and framed prints were taken. No limit on the unsigned prints of any size. Almost $75,000 raised in the first 24 hours from about 175 backers.

Remember, all proceeds beyond Neihues commission goes to the Stark Mountain Foundation. That's the non-profit that does capital campaigns in support of major projects for Mad River Glen. Construction of the new buildings went on all summer and should be completed this fall. The fundraising campaign for that work came up with several million dollars over several years before work could move forward. Deferred maintenance over 30 years made the project imperative for the future of MRG.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The MRG map painting is done! The Kickstarter raised over $120,000. All of the money beyond Neihues fee will go to the non-profit that supports MRG. New paper trail maps and trail signs will be coming soon.

Niehues had this to say about the project:
“Mad River Glen has been an absolutely fascinating project,” he shared. “There are so many intricacies to the mountain. An important rock here, and a lightly cut glade there — the mountain is dotted with features that make it unique and prove why it’s such a deeply loved mountain.”
I've only skied one day at MRG. But from what I remember, the painting really captures the feel of the different sections.
Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 8.44.56 PM.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly