• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Walking backwards

skibum4ever

Angel Diva

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, My pickleball partner does this regularly at his gym. My husband does this as well, mostly on hiking trails when walking our dog. I have recently purchased a Maxi Climber and use it with my back facing the unit and stepping backwards. Backwards is a great exercise.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It has come up in various feeds for me lately, and I've bookmarked them but not tried it yet.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I regularly did this as part of a weekly running speedwork and drills session about a decade ago. I don't think it's entirely new science, but it may be becoming more popular.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I remember doing that during the early stages of knee rehab. Did it often when using elliptical type machines at the fitness center that I could go backwards or forwards. Backwards was easier when ROM wasn't back to normal yet.

shadoj

Angel Diva
I came across an article that extolled the benefits of walking backwards. Has anyone incorporated this into their PT or physical fitness routine?

Yes. Walking backwards was both something recommended by my PT for my hips & pelvic instability, plus something we did in water-aerobics-for-arthritis. I found it really helped reset my muscle activation/firing patterns. Walking backwards can improve your stability walking forwards! Unless going backwards is causing you pain, I can only see it helping balance & body awareness overall.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to know! It's sort of in my PT routine- I do "monster walks" (walking in a crouched position with a resistance band around my legs) forwards and backwards. Except for week 1 when I forgot that it was supposed to be backwards, at home I was turning around when I got to the end.

I also remembered going to a lecture by a pediatric ortho who recommended backwards walking for tight Achilles tendons.

shadoj

Angel Diva
For me, it's also really good for working out a bit of hip tightness if I go slow-mo and feel the stretch as I reach my leg backwards to seek the ground with the ball of my foot each stride. Helps force balance on the front supporting foot, too (note: do not lock knee). Try to keep an active core, upright chest throughout.

I do a lot of ski drills without skis or ski boots on!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78Diane