• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Walkie talkie or basic cell phone

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I admit to only having tried the little Motorola's, but we found issues with the shape of ridges at large resorts. Pretty much you needed to be in the same vicinity. If the mountain intervened, no reception. You couldn't end up in different drainages. We did use those traveling across country in vehicles where they worked perfectly. My daughter used to take extend exception to their bulk as well (which to me wasn't much).

That being said, here you'd do better with radios than cellphones. Neither would be even close to 100%.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Another fan of Road ID...i started using it when kayaking alone, now i use it skiing, bike riding, pretty much any sport I do alone.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to make a fun laminate ID card and stick it in the kid's pocket/ w their names/our phone numbers and the mt/ski patrol #'s so they could show it or use to find you or the patrol.
Last week I came across a 6 year old boy separated from his parents, sitting calmly on the side of the trail, just waiting. He had his mother’s phone number memorized! Impressive. So I called and left a voice message and took him down to the nearest lift. (She got the message and called back that they were on their way from a different part of the mountain.) Not all kids are this chill, however. Kids should always have contact names and numbers on a paper in a pocket! And should know that if separated, should tell someone at the nearest lift.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Reminds me of a story I read a while back written by a father of a boy, 7 years old I think. He'd give his son $5 with instructions that if they ever got separated, the boy should go to the nearest lodge and get some hot chocolate. They were skiing at a mountain the boy knew pretty well. One day the boy got far enough ahead that the father wasn't exactly sure where he went. Found him easily at the nearest lodge . . . having hot chocolate.

When my daughter was old enough to remember a phone number, I had her learn my cell phone number instead of our home landline. Figured that would be a lot more useful if she were lost when we were out somewhere.

AppleJacks207

Certified Ski Diva
We have walkie talkies between the three of us (medium speed mom/fast & furious dad/10 yr old rocket boy).
First we tried phones, but phone service on most mountains were not reliable. So we switched to walkie talkies. They are a little cumbersome however, they work every time. Can't complain.
This is where we're headed and we have almost the exact lineup as your family :smile: Learning stepmom, fast and furious dad and 11 YO rocket boy. I also love the Road ID idea!

SeaCurlz

Certified Ski Diva
We recently saw some kids with the walkie talkies on the lift and this is brilliant. Definitely doing this for our littles.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used walkie talkie when I took my nephew on 2 overseas ski trips, he was 14 yrs old that time. We did not get sim card for our cells.
I use a Vodafone Callya SIM in Europe. Over Christmas 2019, I paid 10 Euros for 2.5 GB of data and 200 minutes of voice for 4 weeks. 4G or LTE most of the time. There used to be restrictions on roaming from country to country, but now roaming is included.

The Callya card is contract-free and as long as you load some money on it once a year, you can keep your phone number and load money on it when you arrive.

The caveat is that you must have an unlocked phone to insert the foreign SIM. Or Verizon will unlock your second SIM slot after you have had the phone for 3 months.

The people at the Vodafone stores understand English for the most part, and activation is simple with their help.

PM me if you have questions.

alison wong

Angel Diva
@2ski2moro Thanks for the info. very helpful. I googled Vofafone Callya and found the website. I travel to Europe every year (different country each visit) and it's always a hassle to find stores to buy sim card and then have to ask them to set up for you.

Having a cell is essential because I need it for google map. Usually it's the first purchase I made when I arrive.

I will get it this next time I go to Europe. Will PM you if I have additional questions. Thanks again!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will PM you if I have additional questions. Thanks again!

You may need a local address to get the first SIM. Just have it handy in you address book. When I got my last SIM, they didn't verify the address, they just needed it.

If you buy in the Vodafone store, you probably will need to buy the SIM (10 Euros), plus 10 Euros for the data. If you have a address where Vodafone can mail the card, it's free. Then, you only pay 10 Euros for the data. Clear as mud? PM me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly