• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 22/23

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have fun! I did end up going yesterday and it was nice. It softened up quite a bit, esp toward the bottom but was nice up top and mid mountain. By the time you get there maybe it will start setting up a bit so won't be sticky.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Have fun! I did end up going yesterday and it was nice. It softened up quite a bit, esp toward the bottom but was nice up top and mid mountain. By the time you get there maybe it will start setting up a bit so won't be sticky.
Yeah, I was kind of wondering if it will be good or bad to get there with temperatures dropping haha.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I skied last night from 7-9pm, and everything did indeed set up. It was not good at all, it was very firm with deepish ski tracks frozen in everywhere from the daytime. Alas, having just come back from wonderful snow at Taos, it was especially unpleasant. The best conditions I did find was on skier’s right of Smith Walton where there was a large amount of sugary snow pushed to the side on the steepest pitch. So I stuck to that the most.

The other really unpleasant thing outside of the conditions were the skiers. And I use that term very loosely. It was mostly children and teenagers.. which I expect at night, but I think I saw 3 people actually turning all night?!?. Majority of everyone there just straight lines in a pack racing each other down. It was very disconcerting. Even when I’d pull over to let the mob pass I was still uncomfortable and unsure that they could maneuver away from me while standing still. I remember long ago night skiing and by 8pm or so the kids would all be done and hanging out or in the lodge, I think the sessions setup has changed this.

Anyway, the snow was what it was.. but the clientele was horrible to ski with and I won’t soon try that again. I’m glad I got out, but I sure wish the mountain would do some education on not just straight lining everything. I’ve never seen the vast majority of people on trails doing this and it was scary.

Regardless, my goal of getting day 39 out of the way was successfully completed!

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you got day 39 in, @MissySki, and without any incident! I haven't skied nights at Wachusett because I imagined it might be like what you described. Even weekdays, around 2-3pm, things get sketchy in terms of skiing ability.

I skied Wednesday morning and the mountain was hosting a seniors race league competition. My ski partner for the day and I both noted that even though there were a lot more skiers around than we are used to on other weekday mornings, we never felt uncomfortable. Everyone was skiing SO responsibly. It was like adult swim at a public pool, and it was amazing. Also had great chats on the lift rides with folks. Loved it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Glad you got day 39 in, @MissySki, and without any incident! I haven't skied nights at Wachusett because I imagined it might be like what you described. Even weekdays, around 2-3pm, things get sketchy in terms of skiing ability.

I skied Wednesday morning and the mountain was hosting a seniors race league competition. My ski partner for the day and I both noted that even though there were a lot more skiers around than we are used to on other weekday mornings, we never felt uncomfortable. Everyone was skiing SO responsibly. It was like adult swim at a public pool, and it was amazing. Also had great chats on the lift rides with folks. Loved it.
That sounds like a much better experience early in the day. I like the adult swim comparison haha!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, frozen ruts and out of control skiers--such a "fun" combination. Not.
Yes, I typically clear out by 2pm just before the school kids start showing up so I avoid the mayhem.
I think skiing there on weekday morning is great--it is mostly retirees and most of them don't ski out of control. Many are pretty good skiers and even most of the ones who may not be great tend to ski in control and at least do turn!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Just caught the weather and I know it's only Saturday but Channel 5 is predicting a good dump of heavy wet snow out Wachusett's way Tuesday into Weds - possbily > 10". I'll be there Monday. Was hoping for Weds but the weather doesn't look good to drive out there. Busy Thursday and not going near Wachuestt on Friday (St. Pat's).

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend and I had made plans to go on Tuesday... watching the weather to see if it's feasible.

Ermit

Certified Ski Diva
Majority of everyone there just straight lines in a pack racing each other down. It was very disconcerting. Even when I’d pull over to let the mob pass I was still uncomfortable and unsure that they could maneuver away from me while standing still.
I agree with this completely. I‘m in the night race league and generally don’t ski outside of the race course. Maybe a run down Look Mom or Ralph’s, which gets kind of sketchy with some very dark icy areas + out of control kids. Look Mom is well lit but not as fun. I only really feel comfortable on Ralph’s because I’m very familiar with the terrain.

Other than that, I was there Friday morning/early afternoon and think that the coverage is fantastic. There may be 12+ inches Tuesday (when I’m supposed to be flying home from DC ) which will only help. March skiing is looking good in NE and I’m looking forward to April.

MissySki

Angel Diva
WOW, Wachusett said an hour ago on Facebook that they are already at 14 inches!! Meanwhile at my house 45 minutes southeast of them we still just have pouring rain. I think our snow is supposed to start in the next hour or so currently. I imagine it's going to be an icy mess when the changeover occurs since they couldn't pretreat the roads with the pouring rain since yesterday evening. My backyard slopes down into a wooded area and it's pretty flooded in the woods right now.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you look on the Wachusett webcams, it is absolutely dumping at the mountain!

My friend and I decided not to go today - travel would have been too dicey and, well, our ability level and skinny skis are not made for 12+ inches of snow :laugh:

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you look on the Wachusett webcams, it is absolutely dumping at the mountain!

My friend and I decided not to go today - travel would have been too dicey and, well, our ability level and skinny skis are not made for 12+ inches of snow :laugh:
If it's heavy and wet snow which I believe it is.. I don't think Wachusett is where you really want to be with that much anyway to be honest. It's not steep enough to really enjoy and not get bogged down, besides the one part on Smith and Walton. So I wouldn't feel bad, it'll be great for them to get the coverage back and should groom in wonderfully! The bumps would be fun once enough people ski it up today, or it might just be super heavy chop..

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. I attempted to ski once at Sunday River in cement powder and it really was not fun at all. I'm excited for how this will add to the base, though. Wish I could get up there tomorrow but I probably can't make it until this weekend.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They updated the snow report and are claiming up to 20 inches now.
We'll see if the power stays on though--with all that heavy, wet snow there will be issues for sure.
Trying to decide if I want to head there on Thurs or head north instead.

MissySki

Angel Diva
They updated the snow report and are claiming up to 20 inches now.
We'll see if the power stays on though--with all that heavy, wet snow there will be issues for sure.
Trying to decide if I want to head there on Thurs or head north instead.
Nice! They needed it for sure!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Was at Wachusett today. Unfortunately, a skied was killed today about 930 this morning. He hit a tree at the end of Oxbow Chute just as it merges w/ lower Smith. Apparently he hit the tree chest and head 1st. Possibly died instantly. Channel 5 and 4 had helicopters cruising over the mtn. Channel 4 was setting up cameras in the parking lot. The conditions at least from my perspective were icier and firmer than I anticipated. The slick spots were not easy to see - looked just like packed snow. That being said, at least 2 other people went off the mountain sleds w/ head injuries before 11 am - I was #3 - hit an ice patch at the merge of Middle Balance Rock and Conifer. Next thing I know I was upside down and the back of my head hit the snow 1st. Luckily only a bit of headache but had my 1st sled ride.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I am so saddened to hear about this. Did some Googling and saw quite a few news articles about the fatal accident. And I am so sorry to hear about your crash, @Divegirl. I hope you feel better soon and don't experience any lingering injury.

I skied Wachusett yesterday and it was VERY firm and slick. I expected it to be so, but it was still a little surprising after quite a few visits of nice snow. It also didn't soften up much as the day went on; the base was rock solid hardpack. I had the thought quite a few times that the conditions were the kind where it would be incredibly easy for my skis to slip out from under me resulting in flying into the woods.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh no! That's terrible. I was there today as well. I was doing warm up runs and drills on the beginner area from about 9-9:45 or so and did notice 2 ambulances but didn't realize it was that serious/didn't hear a word about what had happened. Also saw that helicopters were flying around a bit later.
Ugh, Oxbow is a trail I typically like to ski---I didn't happen to ski it today as I was assuming it would be very icy as it normally does have some slick spots even under the best of conditions.
@Divegirl hope you feel better soon. That is unfortunate--so sorry that happened to you.
It did indeed start out pretty firm this morning, as I was anticipating so I had my carving skis out for one more time---had thought I was done with them for this season. Definitely were some very slick spots that looked fine until you skied over them.
Ski Patrol did seem busy today--saw them out and about more than usual.
Thankfully, it did soften up as the day went on.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Thank you for the well wishes. I got off easy with some stiff/sore muscles. Will take it easy this week so I can head up to Saddleback on Sunday to close out the year.
I did think at one point that I should have brought my carving skis but thought it would soften up quicker than it did. Skis I had with me had been waxed and sharpened so I figured they were all right.
Oxbow chute is one of my favorites also.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna