• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 21/22

Divegirl

Angel Diva
FYI - If you're planning to ski Wachusett tomorrow - I stupidly looked at their calendar - It's the MIAA ski championships - all day. High schoolers everywhere. Smith and Challenger will more than likely be closed. I will more than likely go anyways and see what happens. Been there for the NE Prep School races and it may not too bad.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking of skiing tomorrow. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know or give a shout if you see me on the hill.

I'm also hoping conditions will be somewhat cooperative for St Patrick's day. If so, I'll be there dressed in green so I can get my free lunch. (Dress like a leprechaun and you get a $7 food voucher.) @DebbieSue has proof that I channeled my inner leprechaun last year :smile:

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wish I could make it tomorrow! My women's clinic group is reconvening (the clinic is over but we all loved skiing together) and alas, work commitments are in my way.

I am hoping to ski at least a couple more times this year, as long as the snowpack holds up.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Went to Wachusett today - Wow - if this ends up being my last day Wachusett, I will be a happy skier. The weather and conditions were great. Bluebird day. Early morning was in the 20s with sugary, fast snow, some ice patches but easily seen. With DST in effect, the sun isn't coming over the mountain til late morning. The temps went into the 30s and the snow became like a nice chilled buttercream frosting - nice, soft but still carve-able (is that a word?). Not slush, not sticky. I brought both my BP 88s and my Liberty V82s (indecision reigns at times) - defaulted to BPs but switched to Liberty's when I saw the temps for the day in the lodge - glad I did. Had so much fun on those skis. No crowds either - lap day.
Hoping to go Weds and if I do - that will be the last day at Wachusett for me.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like an awesome day! I went yesterday and it was very firm and fast all morning. Not crowded by weekend standards. The upper mountain had very few ice patches, there were many more on the trails off the Minuteman lift but avoidable, like you say. Daylight savings had me totally exhausted by 1:30 so I called it quits earlier than I typically do.

I’m hoping to get in one more day, but if yesterday turns out to have been my last day, it was a good one!

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just to add, I talked to Carolyn yesterday and she mentioned that they are aiming to be open until Sunday, April 3.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was there today too. Agree the conditions were great! A few icy patches here and there, but easy to avoid. Nicely groomed conditions to start out the day. I spent the morning skiing the lift pod that has Challenger, Frannies, Look Mom, etc and then once it started to get softer lower down, I moved over to spend time on Confier and Smith Walton.
Like @Divegirl said, it never got sticky which was nice---just nice soft snow---kind of light slush lower down but not full on slush. No real push piles that I noticed, but I stopped about 1:30pm. I was sort of hoping for more piles so I could practice on more 3D snow.
I did have one strange lift ride. It was with a guy who insisted on proselytizing during the ride! I couldn't get off fast enough and then saw him again getting into line, so I fiddled around a bit so as to avoid that chair.
It's supposed to be so warm all week, I wonder how they will fare though. I'd like to try to make it there next week as well, but not sure how it will be.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With today's temps and tomorrow's rain, sadly I think my ski season at Wachusett is over. My last day was this past Sunday. I *almost* got away from work and went up yesterday, but I hesitated with the fog and threat of rain (I've had enough of ski days with zero visibility this year...). Wish I had gone, from what I saw on the webcams it was less foggy/rainy up there than at my house, and it would have been a great spring conditions day. And there was a bagpiper there for St. Patrick's Day!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The snow was kind of thick yesterday, but consistently. Well, except for some icy skied off patches here and there. But at least not the grab and go kind of snow. It was overcast on the hill, but visibility was fine, the fog didn't get in the way. However it did start to rain a little after 1. I wasn't planning on staying much longer anyways, so after a few runs in the drizzle I decided to call it a day. So sadly I missed the piper. I'm not sure yet if I'll get another day in there or not this season. Coverage is still decent, all considered.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think they'll make it to April 3, moving snow around as needed, and if it weren't a 90+ min drive, I'd definitely go over the next couple of weeks.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I was there Wednesday. Completely fogged in when I arrived. The fog lift before the lifts opened but kept rolling in and out til around 10 am. Skiing in the fog was interesting. Skied in freezing fog at Snowshoe many years ago. Anyways, fog lifted and it was a beautiful day. Very soft and heavy but not quite slushy. Not sticky either. Coverage was good, no bare spots except the return connector btw Frannies and Lower Smith. Some slush patches here and there. A few icy patches in the shade. Skied all the open trails at least once. Called it a day and a season after 2+ hrs. Had a good time but the heavy snow did tire my legs out and I'm not a spring snow fan. Made it 7 times to Wachusett - pretty good since I didn't start skiing til late Jan/early Feb this year.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Probably my last day at Wachusett today (likely last day of season unless I decide to drive to VT). Conditions were pretty good considering the warm temps and previous rain events. It was thin in places but edge to edge coverage was better than back in early Dec. Somewhat firm groomers to start out the day but it got slushy by around noon in some places/trails that are especially sun prone. Typical spring conditions where the trails are covered in dried leaves and the snow is mixed with dirt.
I quit around 1:15pm when it started getting deep and a little grabby in some places.
Considering that we haven't had the best winter, they seem have made the best of it and still have a fair bit of snow left all things considered.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Had one last day at Wachusett. I had thought my last day was last week, but decided to give it a go today. They changed their weekday hours to open at 10am, which I didn't know---and apparently other people missed as well since there were a bunch of people waiting for open. They ended up opening the lifts at 9:30, though the website says 10am.
It has gotten a bit thin, but still okay coverage for their late season. I'm impressed how much snow they still have left given the somewhat weak winter we've had with fluctuating temps. They must have really made a ton when they had the chance. Not sure how it will do withe rain predicted though. Hopefully they can make it to their April 3 close.
The conditions were actually pretty good--not too firm and got a bit soft heading toward noon. The best part was the lack of people! Like a semi private mountain; hardly anyone there--tons of empty chairs going up.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woohoo!

I'm waffling on which pass to purchase. I'm going through a work transition and I have absolutely no idea what my schedule will be next winter. What to do?!

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Woohoo!

I'm waffling on which pass to purchase. I'm going through a work transition and I have absolutely no idea what my schedule will be next winter. What to do?!
You may have some time. There wasn't a backup/bog down on the web site like last year. My transaction went through pretty quick even after adding 4 gift cards. I did not see if there was pass limit or time limit for sales this year

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Season passes went on sale this morning. Prices went up a bit, from last year. If you go to the group pass section, the group name ski diva will save $10.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I’ll use the ski diva code (I think I did last year, too). Gold pass is up $50 over last year.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went with the Steel this year since there is a good chance I'll be out of state for much of the season. DH is planning his sabbatical. I was originally still debating getting a Bronze, since what if the best snow that week is on Friday? But if I'll only be using it early and late season, I can't really justify the extra. The Bronze went up $80 I think from last year's early bird pricing.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I went with the Steel this year since there is a good chance I'll be out of state for much of the season. DH is planning his sabbatical. I was originally still debating getting a Bronze, since what if the best snow that week is on Friday? But if I'll only be using it early and late season, I can't really justify the extra. The Bronze went up $80 I think from last year's early bird pricing.

ohhhhh what are you guys doing for his sabbatical??

As of this coming December I’ll be eligible for a 5 week sabbatical. No idea when I’ll take it or what I want to do yet though.. You can do anything you’d like, but if you do some sort of learning or volunteer work for any part of it my company will also give 1k towards expenses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly