• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 21/22

marzNC

Angel Diva
It did make me start thinking about base structure which I admittedly know almost nothing about. Maybe something I should learn more on, but certainly don’t feel the need to do that on rock skis.
Here's an overview to get you started. Pretty much all I ever wanted to know. Remember I like Phantom because I don't even like to do basic waxing. Quite happy to just get a stone grind every few seasons as needed. :smile:

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For any occasional Wachusett skiers (or considering doing the Women's Clinics) this year they have kind of brought back the "3-peat" card, but are calling it a "Flex Pass." There's one that's three 8-hour sessions for $249, and they recently added one with six 4-hour sessions for $299. Considering that season passes have been sold out for quite a while now, the 6 pack would be the best deal for the clinics.

Both are 20% off through Nov. 15.

newboots

Angel Diva
I have had skis fully tuned at Wachusett a couple times but mostly I get their "Sharp and Smooth" option done which is sharpening and waxing and they do it in about a half hour - I can drop a pair of skis off 1st thing and then either demo or bring a 2nd pair w/ me or dawdle over breakfast. I've been happy with their work. I live almost 2 hrs away so leaving my skis for the full tune is a pain as it is 2 4-hr round trip drives.

Wachusett accidently did a race tune on my skis one year and my local shop de-tuned the tips. Next full tune I had done - my local shop gave me a race tune and Wachusett de-tuned the tips for me so sometimes it's a crap shoot.

There should be no excuse for this. The people tuning your skis should not be experimenting on them, or trying alternate specs for their own amusement. Sure, it’s a low-paid job but that’s no reason to do something unwanted to someone else’s property.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update on the Women's Clinic! It is only $199 this year for 7 sessions. AND if you don't have a pass (sold out for months now) you can add a Bronze pass to your cart when signing up for $329.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update on the Women's Clinic! It is only $199 this year for 7 sessions. AND if you don't have a pass (sold out for months now) you can add a Bronze pass to your cart when signing up for $329.

Thank you for posting, @diymom! I want to do the women's clinic this year - I really need some instruction. Now that the details are available, I'll need to see if it's possible with the old ball-and-chain known as my day job.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope to see you there! I won't be able to make every week, but I'm still planning on signing up. For that price, and food vouchers included (2 years ago it was $10 each week) it will still be worth it for the days I can make it. I just hope they do the demo day when I can go!

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m getting 8 sessions based on 1/6/22 - 3/3/22 (and no clinic on 2/24/22). Am I off? Do they typically schedule 1 extra date in case it’s cancelled for some reason?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This past year it was supposed to be 6 weeks, but as most missed week one (very last minute announcement of the clinic) they added a week at the end. I had gone all 6 weeks already but they said if I was there the last week I could do that one too. So maybe something similar?

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just glad my DH declared we are aiming for 100 days skiing this year (he retired this spring) or I'd be regretting not getting a Wawa pass this year and doing the clinic.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wachusett updated the Women's Clinic page to indicate the program includes 8 sessions. Amazing!

My father and I hiked Wachusett this past weekend and ran into Jeff Crowley, and my dad asked Jeff if they planned on having the women's clinic this year (I was not going to bombard Jeff in the middle of his hike with ski season questions, but I guess my father can't help himself, LOL). Wonder if that inspired them to put up the information earlier than last year.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank your Dad for prodding them for me!

I wrote ski school and management over the summer , pointing out that the last minute announcement (2 days before first session) combined with the lack of affordable pass/ ticket options (passes were long since sold out when the clinic was announced meaning some had to pony up for window ticket prices each week) likely did not help their clinic numbers. (There were maybe 4 or 5 women last year, way down from the previous year.) I compared them to another not too far from Boston hill that had pricing with discounted tickets or without lift tickets, actually mentioned on their site that food was included (in the past Wawa has left this out of advertising), had the women’s program mentioned in a Boston Globe article in late November, and was sold out by mid December. I never did get a reply other than that they would make sure my email got to the right people. But sheesh, none of that should have to be said. What were they paying their marketing person for?

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been internally complaining about how cold my morning dog walks have been this week, but I'm not mad anymore :laugh:

MagicForest

Certified Ski Diva
Wachusett Divas, have you used the tune shop there and how would you rate your experience? I go elsewhere for my main skis, but I need some work on my rock skis (haven't sharpened my edges or checked for a flat base in years) to start the season and my regular place is booked for the next several weeks. I also need to have my bindings checked for my new boots, which is more the crux of it. Why am I so behind though is anyone's guess! lol

I called Wachusett and they said they can do same day or a few days which would work just fine, but want to ensure they are good at what they do too. I assume they should be..

As an aside, I also have a shop quite a bit closer to me in central MA, but they want like $70 for a general tune. Wachusett is $50 or less depending what you need, which sounds more in line with my expectations in ski country. Why the heck is the shop near me charging so much?? I'd rather drive 45 mins to Wachusett than give someone $70 for the same work when I don't even know how good they are at tunes.. Is this ridiculous?
Wachusett has done a great job tuning up my skis. The first time I went there my skis had been sitting in my basement for a few years (didn't have time for a few years when I had babies), and my skis were all rusted and dull. I brought them to the shop at Wachusett, hung out in the lodge for an hour, and went back to get my skis. They were beautiful! I've had them tuned a few other times there. The service is always quick, good quality, and affordable.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hope you have a great day, @diymom! I went Sunday. 7:30am opening on weekends is tough, especially because it’s a 90 minute drive for me. It was worth it, though - I finished skiing by 10am just as more folks were showing up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly