• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 21/22

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A tad earlier than usual, but I thought I'd start this year's thread with a question. Are there any Wawa skiers who bought a pass that don't think they'll use it this year? I was doing my usual time wasting online, and there's someone who will pay $500 for a pass. I wrote to him, and he'll even pay that for a Bronze pass. Sooo.... if you are having second thoughts about your pass, you could make some $$$.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, that's kind of unbelievable!

Over the past few years, I've done the beginner package, 3-peats bought on sale, and last season's Steel pass. I have definitely gotten a bargain - last season, I think it worked out to $14/day or something like that. But, it was really stressful skiing only weekdays with my work schedule. There was one week I took "off" work to ski Monday-Thursday, and was literally answering calls on the chairlift and working into the night when I came home after driving 3 hours roundtrip/skiing all day. So for this season, I splurged on a Gold pass. I'm hoping to ski 15-20 days, which will mean lots of crowded weekend/holiday skiing, but I'll still try to squeeze in weekdays here and there.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I thought passes weren’t transferrable??

I didn’t get a pass there this season since I have too many others haha.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is there ever much talk about the Mountains of Distinction list? Get 15% off on weekends and holidays, 50% off midweek. I saw on the 7Springs (near Pittsburgh) website that Wachusett is listed, along with Jiminy Peak. Interesting that Windham is still listed since it's on Ikon now.
  • Pennsylvania: Seven Springs
  • Massachusetts: Jiminy Peak, Wachusett
  • New Hampshire: Cranmore
  • New York: Bristol Mountain, Holiday Valley, Ski Windham
  • Vermont: Bromley

marzNC

Angel Diva
Very interesting . . . a new perk for an Alta season pass is 50% off day tickets at a short list of partners that are not on the MCP. The Reciprocity Benefit list includes Wachusett, along with Bridger and Red Lodge in MT, and Brundage in ID. That implies that a Wachusett pass holder could get a discount at Alta.

MissySki

Angel Diva
It annoys me to no end that with 3 passes I still have no benefit at Wachusett. Lol. Especially because they usually have a benefit at Sunday River, but not the other way around…

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hadn't thought of that part of it, I just always look at the Perks for Passholders page to see what benefits I get. I guess I always assumed perks would be more reciprocal. The perks aren't quite as good this year as previous years.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I hadn't thought of that part of it, I just always look at the Perks for Passholders page to see what benefits I get. I guess I always assumed perks would be more reciprocal. The perks aren't quite as good this year as previous years.

I asked one year when I saw the Sunday River perk, hoping it would go both ways, and they said no. That’s the only reason I know. Unless they’ve changed it since then, which would be nice! I don’t go to Wawa often, actually more in other seasons, but would be nice to have the option a few times per season.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Wachusett Divas, have you used the tune shop there and how would you rate your experience? I go elsewhere for my main skis, but I need some work on my rock skis (haven't sharpened my edges or checked for a flat base in years) to start the season and my regular place is booked for the next several weeks. I also need to have my bindings checked for my new boots, which is more the crux of it. Why am I so behind though is anyone's guess! lol

I called Wachusett and they said they can do same day or a few days which would work just fine, but want to ensure they are good at what they do too. I assume they should be..

As an aside, I also have a shop quite a bit closer to me in central MA, but they want like $70 for a general tune. Wachusett is $50 or less depending what you need, which sounds more in line with my expectations in ski country. Why the heck is the shop near me charging so much?? I'd rather drive 45 mins to Wachusett than give someone $70 for the same work when I don't even know how good they are at tunes.. Is this ridiculous?

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My family and I have always had our skis tuned at Wawa, no complaints at all. Last year, due to COVID travel restrictions, I had mine tuned at a local shop instead and while they did a fine job, they charged more for sure. I say go for it!

MissySki

Angel Diva
My family and I have always had our skis tuned at Wawa, no complaints at all. Last year, due to COVID travel restrictions, I had mine tuned at a local shop instead and while they did a fine job, they charged more for sure. I say go for it!

Thank you, that's really great to hear!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I've had skis waxed at Wachusett. In fact, it was a bit more than a basic wax because the bases had been messed up by a shop at a destination resort when I tried to get a quick "lunch wax." The tech explained the potential issues carefully before accepting the skis. They were older skis so I wasn't that concerned.

I also got help on a tele boot. I was borrowing my daughter's tele gear to play around a bit. The lace on a liner broke. The tech who works on snowboard boots wasn't around, but I was going back the next day so left the boots overnight. It was all fixed in the morning. Very small price too.

Bottom line is that I was quite happy with the service.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've had skis waxed at Wachusett. In fact, it was a bit more than a basic wax because the bases had been messed up by a shop at a destination resort when I tried to get a quick "lunch wax." The tech explained the potential issues carefully before accepting the skis. They were older skis so I wasn't that concerned.

I also got help on a tele boot. I was borrowing my daughter's tele gear to play around a bit. The lace on a liner broke. The tech who works on snowboard boots wasn't around, but I was going back the next day so left the boots overnight. It was all fixed in the morning. Very small price too.

Bottom line is that I was quite happy with the service.

Thanks! Having things go wrong in the past elsewhere is definitely why I'm always wary of new places setting my edge angles etc.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I have had skis fully tuned at Wachusett a couple times but mostly I get their "Sharp and Smooth" option done which is sharpening and waxing and they do it in about a half hour - I can drop a pair of skis off 1st thing and then either demo or bring a 2nd pair w/ me or dawdle over breakfast. I've been happy with their work. I live almost 2 hrs away so leaving my skis for the full tune is a pain as it is 2 4-hr round trip drives.

Wachusett accidently did a race tune on my skis one year and my local shop de-tuned the tips. Next full tune I had done - my local shop gave me a race tune and Wachusett de-tuned the tips for me so sometimes it's a crap shoot.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have had skis fully tuned at Wachusett a couple times but mostly I get their "Sharp and Smooth" option done which is sharpening and waxing and they do it in about a half hour - I can drop a pair of skis off 1st thing and then either demo or bring a 2nd pair w/ me or dawdle over breakfast. I've been happy with their work. I live almost 2 hrs away so leaving my skis for the full tune is a pain as it is 2 4-hr round trip drives.

Wachusett accidently did a race tune on my skis one year and my local shop de-tuned the tips. Next full tune I had done - my local shop gave me a race tune and Wachusett de-tuned the tips for me so sometimes it's a crap shoot.
Haha yeah that’s exactly what I’m worried about when wanting to get a tune ahead of opening day to ski on a WROD in new boots. Last thing I need is a weird tune on my skis! :goodluck:

I think you all have convinced me that it’s worth a try though!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I brought my rock skis over to Wachusett today. Could have waited for them, but they said there were about 3 hrs in front of me so I’ll go back tomorrow for pick up. Too bad it’s a nasty gray and rainy day, otherwise I would have hiked around and waited. They did try to upsell me by $25 for some “high performance” structure. I was just like yeah.. these are my rock skis! I’m just here for a cheap and quick tune before the season starts. :becky:

It did make me start thinking about base structure which I admittedly know almost nothing about. Maybe something I should learn more on, but certainly don’t feel the need to do that on rock skis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly