• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 21/22

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looks like a great day at Wachusett from the webcams this morning. Storm total was 12 inches, presumably dry powder given that the high is forecast to be in the 20s. Roper's Road is open for the first time this season. :snow:

Screen Shot 2022-01-30 at 11.02.22 AM.png

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don't get snow this fluffy around here too often. Sadly it will most likely all be groomed by the time I make it there this week.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We don't get snow this fluffy around here too often. Sadly it will most likely all be groomed by the time I make it there this week.
Based on the one time we went after a snowstorm, what wasn't groomed was probably skied out in the first hour along the black trails. The only untracked left was on skier's right of the top of Look Mom. Pretty sure that was the day I tested out those really long handbuilt wood skis. I remember showing the ski creator that that area and him being very happy.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Planning on Tuesday - figure some schools will be closed tomorrow for ongoing cleanup. Hoping for groomed snow - I like groomers and I want to get on Ropers and Balance Rock before it all melts on Thursday. I got caught a couple yrs ago on an ungroomed Smith - no notice in the snow report - it was miserable.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From the webcams, it looks like they groomed all the new snow.

I'll be there Thursday in the 45 degree rain :cry:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was there today. Nice soft groomers at least for the most part. I found the trails off the summit to be pretty scratchy/hard pack, but maybe if I had skied them earlier it would have been better.
Roper's is closed again.
I thought the best snow was off the Minuteman lift--I didn't find any hardpack on those trails at all.
Saw a guy who could not even stand on his skis being taken down 10th Mountain by "friends"--scary to say the least. They got off the lift a few chairs ahead of me--and I waited to see where they would go so that I could avoid them! They only made it a few hundred feet and hadn't even gotten to the steeper part of the trail yet when I was on the way back up on the lift for the next run. Hope he didn't hurt anyone by sliding into them.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yikes. And that is why I am scared to practice building confidence on steeper terrain at Wachusett. It's so often folks in over their heads, or people flying down 10th and Smith who are definitely not in control.

At Diva East at Bretton Woods, I spent a lot of time lapping a steeper blue (Upper Swoop) and a black trail (Zealand... was really not steep at all, I assume it's black because it would be harder when icy) to work on my confidence. I am hoping to tackle Smith at Wachusett the next time I go (I've skied 10th a lot... don't love it yet but it's alright).

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was a cold one today! It’ll be nearly 60 when I’m there later this week. Thursday weather has been… interesting for the Women’s clinics this year. Only two sessions left!

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wawa was great this weekend. I skied Sunday from 7:30-2:00, and the morning (especially 7:30-9) was glorious. Got 8 runs in from the top in those 90 minutes (including starting the day on Tenth and Smith WOO HOO), then only 12 more the rest of the day. Some trails were pretty skied off by 11 but a lot of the wider trails stayed in great shape.

After a 30 minute wait for the Minuteman lift around 1:30, we were DONE.

A woman from my ski clinic met up with me yesterday and it was great skiing with her. She’s the strongest skier in our group and keeping up with her is super fun for me - just enough challenge. I’m starting to consider getting new skis for next season, I feel like I’m outgrowing my current pair. So that’s exciting!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard that early morning is the best time for weekends there. Sounds like a great start to your ski day yesterday! And it sounds like the clinic has been good for you- skiing all the runs now, and more ski buddies too. Did you try any skis out when they had free demos with the clinic?

I was torn on going today or tomorrow. I opted to get necessary stuff out of the way today, but looking at the sunshine out my kitchen window I'm regretting that a bit now. Maybe I'll get lucky and the sun will come out tomorrow too regardless of the forecast.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The early morning on weekends is worth it!

My clinic group is a fun bunch, and our instructor is fantastic, but I do wish we spent more time skiing the summit trails. We work off the Minuteman lift because 4/6 of the students are much more comfortable there, and are still turning with their entire bodies following their skis. Regardless, everyone has progressed over the weeks, including myself, so I am pleased with what I’ve gotten out of the experience. If I can swing it with my work schedule next year, I’d self-assign to a higher level group. That part was tricky—everyone seems to have a slightly different definition of the ski levels.

I demoed one pair during the free demo day - Salomon Stance 84. They were… fine? The description sounds like what I’m looking for, and the ski shop suggested them on the basis of being a step up from Head Absolut Joys, but I just felt it wasn’t a love match.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even in the upper level groups they don't seem to ski the blacks much, but more on the blues for practice and drills. But they do ski Conifer, so not just off the Minuteman.

Ken Jones has a demo day coming up at Waterville (March 18th, tickets must be bought in the store in NH, and tickets are limited so maybe call first.) Part of me says I should do it to see what some of the new skis are like. And part of me says I shouldn't do it since I don't need new skis. But with a demo day you might run into the same problem @lisamamot does and not find the length you want to try since you are taller.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Drills on Conifer would be great - we get to the bottom too fast on the shorter trails!

Great to know about the upcoming Waterville demo day. I'm going to look into that. I do run into the length issue at demo days, but I managed to land on my current skis at a demo day a few years ago, estimating what they’d feel like one size up.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had been hoping that Sunapee would bring back their women's demo day this year, but considering that it was always mid March and nothing is on their events page yet.... (And when I tried writing Sunapee about it I just got a canned response to write to Epic with any questions.) If you decide to go to the Waterville one let me know, it might help sway me one way or the other :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had been hoping that Sunapee would bring back their women's demo day this year, but considering that it was always mid March and nothing is on their events page yet.... (And when I tried writing Sunapee about it I just got a canned response to write to Epic with any questions.) If you decide to go to the Waterville one let me know, it might help sway me one way or the other :smile:

I’ve been wondering about the Sunapee Women’s Day too. Sad they haven’t seemed to bring it back yet.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Sunapee Women's demo day is the one I did a few years ago. It was fantastic - I was able to try 8 pairs of skis! Bummer they don't seem to be doing it anymore.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna