• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 2020-21

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was good seeing @diymom again today. Was looking for others but didn't succeed. For future reference I've been wearing a dark green jacket and the Obermeyer floral pants popular in the "I'm a Pants Slut" thread. Helmet white or a new lt green one that just arrived. I'm also usually paired with my DH (in black) who stands out by towering a foot over me.

@NewEnglandSkier : I was there Monday, Tuesday and today. Today's crowds were the worst. I hope they diminish when the colleges start classes.

Will probably ski Wednesday and Thursday next week.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Looking at Monday and possibly Weds next week. I think my helmets are the easiest to ID as I tied my Dive East ribbons to them - shiny turquoise w/ an orange ribbon or dk pinkish w/ a pink ribbon. I'm also short and usually have either a bright jacket or pants - I have the flowered pants, too.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed at the end of the day that I still have a pink Diva East ribbon on the back of my helmet still too.
@NewEnglandSkier - I'll try to take note on different days that I'm there for the quietest ones. This past week Monday was definitely quieter than Thursday. Last year I found that Thursdays and Fridays are more crowded than earlier in the week, especially Fridays. In normal years early week you can pretty much ski right on all day, end of week there are lines. Looking at the forecast for this week I would guess that Monday will be quietest since it is supposed to be overcast, the rest show partially cloudy. Monday is also forecast to be the coldest day by a smidge. The quietest time during the day seems to be 11-1. Morning locals are gone, afternoon day pass skiers not quite ready yet.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I noticed at the end of the day that I still have a pink Diva East ribbon on the back of my helmet still too.
@NewEnglandSkier - I'll try to take note on different days that I'm there for the quietest ones. This past week Monday was definitely quieter than Thursday. Last year I found that Thursdays and Fridays are more crowded than earlier in the week, especially Fridays. In normal years early week you can pretty much ski right on all day, end of week there are lines. Looking at the forecast for this week I would guess that Monday will be quietest since it is supposed to be overcast, the rest show partially cloudy. Monday is also forecast to be the coldest day by a smidge. The quietest time during the day seems to be 11-1. Morning locals are gone, afternoon day pass skiers not quite ready yet.
Last week I was there 3 days. Monday was much quieter than Thursday , but Tuesday was the quietest day. Tuesday was overcast if i remember correctly. Agree that it gets quieter around 11 before the afternoon people show up. Going to try Wednesday this week, maybe Thursday too.

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trip report! I skied Wachusett yesterday, Tuesday 1/12, from opening until about 2:15pm.

I didn't post beforehand but I did peruse recent posts to see if anyone was planning on being there yesterday. If anyone sees me, feel free to say hi -- I'm typically in black pants, tealish/blue long jacket or the orange/pink long jacket in my photo here, white helmet with a Ski Diva sticker on the back. I'm pretty tall, too. I'm able to ski very randomly, as multiple things need to line up -- a day I can take off work (my pass is good M-Th and I work full time), negative C19 test results within the proper time window, and the weather! I am hoping for 1 day every other week this season.

Yesterday was an overall great day on the mountain. I arrived at 8:20am and parked in Row 3. Crowds were not bad at all from about 9-11 with lift line waits of maybe 3-5 minutes. It felt like the place emptied out from 11 onwards, and for almost 2 full hours, it was ski-down/ski-onto the lift with no lines. I ended up getting in 26 runs with two breaks mixed into my time there, which for me is a big day at Wawa!

I started at the summit lift for my first run to ski Conifer. Unfortunately, Conifer was kind of a mess - the grooming wasn't great, with lots of bumps, piles, and literal holes in the snow. Very strange for Wachusett. I bailed and did my next two runs at the beginner lift to get into a better groove. The snow over there was fantastic. I then tried Conifer a few more times, and conditions seemed to improve as people skied it and flattened it out. I then switched to mid-mountain and spent the rest of the day lapping the trails off the Minuteman lift. The full park is now on Hitchcock and there are a few park features on Frannie's.

I heard from lift seatmates that the conditions were much improved yesterday compared to Monday. I'm guessing they made a good amount of snow Monday night, and temps were a bit warmer yesterday. They were making snow on Balance Rock all day yesterday. Mass Pike East was closed yesterday - it was open back in December. I assume they had to close it after the natural storm was ruined in the Christmas rainstorm. Tenth and Smith Walton were both open, but I didn't ski them. I've only skied Tenth one time (my last day of the season last year) and have never skied Smith... it was originally a goal for this ski season but we'll see.

Mask compliance was excellent, I'd say 97-98%. I overheard a Minuteman lift line attendee asking someone to pull their mask up once (though he didn't...). On the summit lift, the lift line attendee was thanking everyone for being masked up and socially distancing. This was MUCH better than what I saw the couple days I skied pre-Christmas. Crowds were bigger then and mask compliance was maybe 80%. There were lots of no maskers, neck gaiters not pulled up, or masks-with-holes back then. It seems like the "regular" weekday crowd is taking things more seriously, which was great to see. When I skied pre-Christmas, I wore a KN95 mask both times. But, my ears were absolutely killing me -- the tight pulling of the KN95 plus my snug helmet was brutal. Yesterday I wore a blue surgical mask, which I felt comfortable with as it was so much less crowded and I really was not near anyone in line for any extended period of time. I replaced it with a fresh one midday as the first one was totally wet and gross.

Looking forward to reading others trip reports!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It doesn't include the lift ticket, but last year it did include a $10 voucher for lunch each day as an added bonus. I'm signed up now, and DH encouraged me to go tomorrow, so I guess I will. Apparently he finds that he sleeps really well after I get up at 6:30.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No lunch included this year, but I feel like I already got my money's worth. Only 3 women had signed up as of this morning, 2 skiers and one boarder. So we each got a 2 hour private! Between the limited number of season passes sold, remote schooling, and some people simply not being comfortable in a public setting, I'm guessing it will stay a pretty small group this year even if there are more next week.

Today was pretty quiet, and to add to the fun it was snowing for the entire lesson. I'm looking forward to next week!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I left at 1 it was transitioning to wet ick, so I'm glad I was out there early. But soooo nice while it lasted! Unfortunately no more in the forecast until next Friday :(

MissySki

Angel Diva
@diymom sounds like you made the right decision to go today, yay for getting a private and on a snow day!! What did you work on in the lesson?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just marking my clinic days on the calendar, but couldn't remember the exact dates of my pass blackouts for Feb break. Sooo glad I did since I had been debating whether to ski Monday or Tuesday this week in addition to Thursday. Looking like Tuesday since my pass is blacked out tomorrow. Silly me, I hadn't equated MLK to pass blackout. Whoops.

Anyone else planning on Tuesday?

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I'm planning being there tomorrow and possibly Thurs or Friday. Early as usual.
No skiing last week - my car decided it wanted to spend the week w/ her mechanics instead - new power steering rack. DH's car also died & had to be towed - so a car-less week in our house.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you are mobile again!
I'll be there around opening tomorrow too, and also Thursday for a few warm up runs before the Women's Clinic starts at 9:30.

MissySki

Angel Diva
For those who have been skiing Wachusett regularly, are there bumps set somewhere right now? I can’t remember which trail usually has some on one side..

Divegirl

Angel Diva
@MissySki - I was there on Friday and there were no bumps yet. They're usually on the 10th Mtn trail. I've not seen any reference to bumps in either their snow report or the live video reports.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki - I was there on Friday and there were no bumps yet. They're usually on the 10th Mtn trail. I've not seen any reference to bumps in either their snow report or the live video reports.

Thanks! Ah yes, that’s where they usually are. Darn, I was thinking they might be there already. I believe they usually seed them versus leaving them after a storm? Wonder when they do it.. I was thinking it’d be nice to practice on a seeded set of bumps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna