• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Wachusett 2020-21

jmfd84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was also there yesterday and had an awesome day of skiing! The snow conditions were fantastic. This cold weather is no fun for getting dressed in the parking lot, but is excellent for the snow - there is so much less ice than there usually is.

I agree that lines for the summit lift were a little long, but they got shorter around midday to a level I was personally ok with. The Minuteman lift was running much better than I experienced last week, and lines were only 3-5 minutes for the early part of the day there. Midday it was ski-on/no wait.

I tried the baby bumps, which was fun and not at all successful, as expected. :laugh: It was my first time trying bumps. According to more than one person with more experience than me, they weren't super well constructed -- more sideways than down-the-slope. I still had fun trying them though.

The highlight of my day was meeting @diymom! I may have awkwardly waited around at the lift to introduce myself after recognizing her from her self-description on here. Hopefully I'll see you again! :smile:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree, the actual shapes of the baby bumps were some what strange--not very round, many were more oval and long across the hill than normal

MissySki

Angel Diva
Most places won’t have seeded bumps though, so they are usually weirdly shaped when skier/boarder made and change over time. Not such a bad thing to practice in.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yes, agree that most bumps often have irregular shapes as well---but some of these seemed almost like a series of linked rollers set across the hill--not even a weird shaped normal bump. Hard to explain without seeing them, but it was nice to have something to practice on anyway!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Agree, the actual shapes of the baby bumps were some what strange--not very round, many were more oval and long across the hill than normal
That's a function of snowboarders. Happens at Massanutten on the one black that is never groomed after the initial snow whales are big enough.

Can be good to practice absorption and extension of you just traverse them and don't even think about making turns. My Mnut instructor used them that way when he was doing a multi-week program for those in the group who were interested.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In this case I also think it was the way they were seeded. I saw them from the distance on Wednesday, and the bumps left by the groomer looked longer than usual. I saw a few instructors taking little kids over there on Thursday, and the kids just went straight, treating them like a long line of rollers.

MissySki

Angel Diva
In this case I also think it was the way they were seeded. I saw them from the distance on Wednesday, and the bumps left by the groomer looked longer than usual. I saw a few instructors taking little kids over there on Thursday, and the kids just went straight, treating them like a long line of rollers.

Ohh that description does make it sound quite odd.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Curious what days anyone is thinking of for this week. The women's clinic (maybe) ended last week, but I still plan on going Thursday. (The official dates were through last Thurs, but my instructor was unsure if they might do one last week since not everyone was there for the first week.) In any case, there's a group of women who ski on Thursdays, and I enjoy doing some runs with them.

I'm a little tempted to go tomorrow, assuming light drizzle in the morning will keep things quiet. Tuesday things will likely be -firm- after the temp drops overnight,. Weds. and Friday look like they should be nice, cold overnight, warming slightly during the day and sunny.

Anyone?

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Weds, Thurs, Fri or some combination - shooting for 2 days so prob Weds and Friday. I think it's going be warm on Weds and cool down a bit for Friday.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@diymom If you didn't go you should have. Conditions were soft. Skied 9 to 11:30. No lines and only lightly rained upon for 1/2 hr at the end. DH was glad I convinced him to go.
Hope to go again on Thursday

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm clearly not a very good New England skier- I bailed on the fog today. But I do plan on going tomorrow. Guessing it will be on the firm side, but so be it. Unfortunately I've already committed to helping my brother on Weds, since the weather looks like it will be better. Who knows, if I'm not needed by anyone on Friday, I might try to get a third day in. @BlueSkies I'll keep an eye out for you on Thurs.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Was there yesterday - beautiful day - some lines but the lifties are getting better at keeping them moving. Probably took my last run on Roper's Road yesterday - sheet of ice.
I got on the Snow Report video - riding the lift at 1:12 - if you look - I'm in the greenish jacket riding up w/ a complete dork.
Hoping to go tomorrow and Monday. Not liking the 50s and 60s for mid-week next week.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was there yesterday - beautiful day - some lines but the lifties are getting better at keeping them moving. Probably took my last run on Roper's Road yesterday - sheet of ice.

Was there today. Except for an icy upper Smith, conditions were firm but not icy, even Roper's.
I got on the Snow Report video - riding the lift at 1:12 - if you look - I'm in the greenish jacket riding up w/ a complete dork.

DH and I made the Snow Report Video once this season. Great video to see what I was doing wrong. :rolleyes:
Not liking the 50s and 60s for mid-week next week.
Me too.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Someone said that they had salted upper Smith for the races on Weds. But aren't those usually on lower Smith?

I skied right past the snow report yesterday. When I got home I looked to see if I was in it, but wouldn't you know, they never even posted yesterday's. This morning Wednesday's is still on the site. Hmmph.

I missed skiing with the usual Thursday group of women yesterday. Even though I had already done my 6 lessons from the clinic, they said the website had yesterday's date as the last day, so go ahead and ski with Manuela. So I ended up with 7 privates for my 6 week group clinic. :smile:

Not liking next week's report either, so I think I'll make up for it in advance and go again today.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Decided not to go today - too cold to change in the parking lot - I have constantly cold hands and feet. Also - fell on Conifer Weds and right shoulder and neck muscles stiff and sore so not really worth it. Will go Monday - that looks to be the best day next week.
@BlueSkies - glad to hear Roper's was better for you guys
@diymom - The races this Weds were on Challenger - Challenger was closed the whole morning. Last Fri there were several races on Smith - it was closed all day - Upper and Lower.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH and I plan to be there Monday too.

We skied right past the snow report yesterday too. When I got home I looked to see if I we were in it (no), but had to go to YouTube to find it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna