• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

VT Removes Quarantine for Vaccinated Travelers

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m confused on why they’re doing it so quickly. We are being told that even when vaccinated you still need to wear masks and distance etc. because we supposedly still don’t know whether vaccinated folks can transmit an infection to the unvaccinated. Just like asymptomatic people can now, and that’s who we are so fearful of. So what does this change for the Vermonters who aren’t vaccinated to welcome those who could still be unknowing carriers in unrestricted? A bit of a head scratcher.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I think there’s a growing body of evidence suggesting that the vaccinated don’t transmit the disease. Not sure how certain folks are but Dr Pugs was feeling optimistic about this even a few weeks ago.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think there’s a growing body of evidence suggesting that the vaccinated don’t transmit the disease. Not sure how certain folks are but Dr Pugs was feeling optimistic about this even a few weeks ago.

Honestly I’ve been thinking the same and that the rhetoric is more to keep people wearing masks etc. It will get really messy on that front if some do and don’t “technically” need to wear them in the same spaces. If you tell people they aren’t a danger to others once vaccinated, how do you force them to keep complying in those group settings? I’ve been a little cynical thinking that it’s really easiest to just keep it messaged the same until a much larger percentage of people are vaccinated.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yes, this. I'm in health care and live in Vermont, and they had already adopted the guideline that if you were fully vaccinated (received both doses, 2 weeks past 2nd dose), if you had a Covid exposure you didn't need to quarantine. A lot of us were then scratching our heads at why, if this were the case, we'd have to quarantine if we, say, went shopping for a day in NH. But not if we had close contact with a known covid+ case.

Edited to add: and some folks in our department are asking when we can go back to in-person meetings, now that we are all vaccinated. So far the answer is not yet.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, this. I'm in health care and live in Vermont, and they had already adopted the guideline that if you were fully vaccinated (received both doses, 2 weeks past 2nd dose), if you had a Covid exposure you didn't need to quarantine. A lot of us were then scratching our heads at why, if this were the case, we'd have to quarantine if we, say, went shopping for a day in NH. But not if we had close contact with a known covid+ case.

Edited to add: and some folks in our department are asking when we can go back to in-person meetings, now that we are all vaccinated. So far the answer is not yet.

So, conflicting recommendations!

I do agree that keeping the messaging consistent and as simple as possible is likely best for managing the spread. I just got my first vaccine a couple days ago (therefore, negligible immunity) but I already "feel" safer and am disinclined to wear a mask around my two-year-old granddaughter and family. I know this is nonsense, and I try not to operate based on these feelings, but a large part of the population uses their feelings to make these decisions. Or it appears that they do.

Emski528

Angel Diva
I’m so excited about this! I am fully vaccinated but plan to mask forever. Like, for the rest of my life.
AND I already booked myself for the Ladies AllRide MTB weekend at kingdom trails in August so I had my fingers crossed things would start looking up. AND we are hoping to visit in May to check out a few towns for possible relocation. I completely understand the worry. Thankfully the numbers in neighboring states are dropping rapidly. I sure hope that trend continues.

newboots

Angel Diva
I think that's going to continue to be a requirement for a while. In the future, I plan to wear one whenever I have a cold.

Or how about when anyone you are near (e.g., at work) has a cold. Perhaps we will become like many in Asian countries, wearing masks habitually whenever there's a germ making its way through the population.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I’m confused on why they’re doing it so quickly. We are being told that even when vaccinated you still need to wear masks and distance etc. because we supposedly still don’t know whether vaccinated folks can transmit an infection to the unvaccinated. Just like asymptomatic people can now, and that’s who we are so fearful of. So what does this change for the Vermonters who aren’t vaccinated to welcome those who could still be unknowing carriers in unrestricted? A bit of a head scratcher.
Releasing quarantine restrictions isn't the same as not wearing masks -- IDT anything was said about releasing mask requirements.

Also, I just heard the other night that this year we shut down the seasonal flu, d/t all the Covid restrictions! So there's hope...

MissySki

Angel Diva
Releasing quarantine restrictions isn't the same as not wearing masks -- IDT anything was said about releasing mask requirements.

Also, I just heard the other night that this year we shut down the seasonal flu, d/t all the Covid restrictions! So there's hope...

I didn’t intend to say they were the same. However, I actually spoke to a physician friend just this weekend who is fully vaccinated and doesn’t think she needs to wear a mask in public spaces now since she feels the data is showing that she has almost no likelihood of transmitting Covid to others. If a physician feels this way (though she is still complying with the mandates) I imagine others will as well and it will become more difficult to enforce as a result eventually. The messages will become conflicting scientifically won’t they?

I’m not arguing for people not to mask in any way, I’m way at the back of the line for vaccination and have no problem with everyone having to continue to mask right along with me. :thumbsup: (I really don’t mind it in general anyway, except certain times skiing). I’ve also enjoyed not getting sick with anything this year, so that’s a major plus. I can definitely see utility in it at some points in the future even when all of this is behind us.

Last edited:

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
However, I actually spoke to a physician friend just this weekend who is fully vaccinated and doesn’t think she needs to wear a mask in public spaces now since she feels the data is showing that she has almost no likelihood of transmitting Covid to others.
Is she not concerned with possibly contracting one of the variant forms of Covid for which the current vaccines are less effective?
Just wondering about the thought process.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Is she not concerned with possibly contracting one of the variant forms of Covid for which the current vaccines are less effective?
Just wondering about the thought process.

I didn’t ask that specifically, I was mostly really surprised she felt that way in general and didn’t really push it because she was pretty adamant. So not on my game lol. I’ll have to ask about that specifically since it’s something I’ve wondered in relation to this overall topic too.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I didn’t intend to say they were the same. However, I actually spoke to a physician friend just this weekend who is fully vaccinated and doesn’t think she needs to wear a mask in public spaces now since she feels the data is showing that she has almost no likelihood of transmitting Covid to others. If a physician feels this way (though she is still complying with the mandates) I imagine others will as well and it will become more difficult to enforce as a result eventually. The messages will become conflicting scientifically won’t they?

I’m not arguing for people not to mask in any way, I’m way at the back of the line for vaccination and have no problem with everyone having to continue to mask right along with me. :thumbsup: (I really don’t mind it in general anyway, except certain times skiing). I’ve also enjoyed not getting sick with anything this year, so that’s a major plus. I can definitely see utility in it at some points in the future even when all of this is behind us.
I didn't mean to imply that you were, @MissySki , sorry if you took it that way. I was just making an observation.

And I agree with others here in that releasing some from mask requirements is just going to create not only confusion, but will enable some mask-deniers to just say that were vaccinated, and avoid the social disapproval for not wearing one.

There was a great report on Covid and the variant situation on MSNBC last night, which I'm sure they'll show again: On Assignment with Richard Engel - it was very well-done, and worth looking up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I didn't mean to imply that you were, @MissySki , sorry if you took it that way. I was just making an observation.

And I agree with others here in that releasing some from mask requirements is just going to create not only confusion, but will enable some mask-deniers to just say that were vaccinated, and avoid the social disapproval for not wearing one.

There was a great report on Covid and the variant situation on MSNBC last night, which I'm sure they'll show again: On Assignment with Richard Engel - it was very well-done, and worth looking up.

Thanks I'd love to see something more in depth on the variants issue!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly