• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Yumi and Blizzard Black Pearl

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is my very unofficial review of the Yumi and Black Pearl. Demoed both out in Big Sky.

Volkl Yumi (147) - I know this ski hasn't gotten the most love on here, but I really liked it. I'd rather ski this ski by a mile compared to my Kenjas (yes, the love affair is over... so sayeth my knees). I even managed to get a bit of pop/rebound from the tail, which was super exciting and FUN for me because normally skis I've tried have not been soft enough for me to pull this off apparently. :smile: I was surprised some people didn't feel that it felt like a Volkl, because to me it still felt like it had the Volkl edge/bite/grip.

Blizzard Black Pearl (152) - Nope. No, no, nope. It made turns easy enough, but it felt like I had to work a lot more than the Yumi to turn and really drive this ski. I dunno if it was the extra width or the extra length? But I did not love it.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You and I are about the same size, and I must concur that the above two skis left me with the same impression. I too, owned the Kenjas for a year or so and found that for anything other than groomers, they were unsatisfactory on terrrain that required more effort to ski. Too stiff overall for my lack of mass. I wanted a more versatile ski and sold them.
Last week I tried the 2016 Dynastar Glory in the 78 or 79 width(forgot which) in a 159. Also hopped on the new Cham 87 in a 159. Very impressive, both of these! Different skis, and each one was an absolute joy to ski.
Oh...and I did try the Head Absolut Joy . Liked that too. All three of these skis are created in the new vein of SUPERLIGHT ; as if there were no skis on your feet. I will admit that their unique lightness initially seemed too light. Had to be sure I was on top of them the whole time. All were amazing at speed on very fast snow. Woo-Hoo:becky:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Pearl rewards a forward stance, a LOT. My first runs on it were just WEIRD. Once I adapted, I LOVED them. So much that I bought them.

It's so funny, because I demo'd the Yumis for an entire day last season and they were just.so.boring to me! Not sure if it's just because I got so used to driving a ski or ???

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Black Pearl rewards a forward stance, a LOT. My first runs on it were just WEIRD. Once I adapted, I LOVED them. So much that I bought them.

It's so funny, because I demo'd the Yumis for an entire day last season and they were just.so.boring to me! Not sure if it's just because I got so used to driving a ski or ???

I quite well recall your instant love of the Black Pearl! Your positive comments generated a lot of interest in this highly-touted ski. You created a lot of BP lovers during that period. (Your Samba experience has also put that ski into the spotlight too. )

I hope to try them again some day and see how I feel about them in a second attempt. When I demoed them I was skiing the Kenja regularly. I have not tried the Yumi yet, so cannot comment on the difference as TinyMoose has .

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I quite well recall your instant love of the Black Pearl! Your positive comments generated a lot of interest in this highly-touted ski. You created a lot of BP lovers during that period. (Your Samba experience has also put that ski into the spotlight too. )

I hope to try them again some day and see how I feel about them in a second attempt. When I demoed them I was skiing the Kenja regularly. I have not tried the Yumi yet, so cannot comment on the difference as TinyMoose has .

Haha, they made me ski so much better, I would prefer them in a longer length now!

I am excited to try the Yumi and Black Pearl; maybe next year. I am scared my love affair with my Kenja will end but there are others who love this ski for a long time so maybe that will be me. All I know is right now I love this ski so that's all that matters right. I know where I can demo the Yumi but seem to be having a hard time with the black pearl. I may try Loon in New Hampshire next year. I'd buy a Yumi undemoed because I love Volkls but the BP seems to either have a love or hate vibe so this one I feel I need to demo. Thank you for your review, these are always so helpful.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

This is my experience also. Though they felt a bit weird at first, I quickly learned what the BPs needed. I loved, loved, LOVED my Black Pearls! They made me a better skier by rewarding a forward stance and good technique, making turn initiation a breeze. They didn't punish mistakes. I had days when I just felt like an eagle soaring down the mountain! I started to understand what driving the ski was really about.

Alas, a weight gain just made my BPs just not enough ski. I wanted the same type and feeling of ski, with liveliness and rebound, with the responsiveness of the BPs to proper input. I tried this year's Yumis which were very blah to me, so I believe the BP isn't quite as soft as the Yumi. Skier's weight is a huge factor in what ski will feel appropriate. And I'm sure a lighter skier will find the Yumis much easier to flex than the Kenja.

I demoed quite a few skis this year, and it seems like many brands are going to lighter weight, easy-to-flex skis: the Yumis, Rossi Saffrons, Head Joy series, Blizzard Cheyennes to name a few...

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Actually, my H flexed (with his hand of course) both the Yumi and Black Pearl demos and said the Black Pearls were softer than the Yumis. I really think my issues with the BP is more of a width or more likely length issue, since 152 is as short as they come. I also demoed the Yumis in the 154, thinking 147 would be too short, and it was a lot of work for me too. I dunno if it's my size or my ability, since it seems most on here prefer longer skis, but it seems that anything over 150 ends up being too much for me.

@surfsnowgirl I wouldn't stress about the Kenjas. If you like them, roll with it. I loved them for 3 seasons. I still like them, and feel 100% in control of them. I just realized over time and with increased ability that I can't work them the way I'd like to be able to. I'd still pick the Kenjas (flex issues aside) over a bunch of other skis out there.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought the BP was quite a bit softer than the Yumi, as well. I think those that end up loving the Yumi are skiers that know how to work the whole ski - it has some hidden power in the tail and riders who hang out on the front of their boots will miss that feature.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought the BP was quite a bit softer than the Yumi, as well. I think those that end up loving the Yumi are skiers that know how to work the whole ski - it has some hidden power in the tail and riders who hang out on the front of their boots will miss that feature.
That might be the issue for me with them :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Actually, my H flexed (with his hand of course) both the Yumi and Black Pearl demos and said the Black Pearls were softer than the Yumis. I really think my issues with the BP is more of a width or more likely length issue, since 152 is as short as they come. I also demoed the Yumis in the 154, thinking 147 would be too short, and it was a lot of work for me too. I dunno if it's my size or my ability, since it seems most on here prefer longer skis, but it seems that anything over 150 ends up being too much for me.

@surfsnowgirl I wouldn't stress about the Kenjas. If you like them, roll with it. I loved them for 3 seasons. I still like them, and feel 100% in control of them. I just realized over time and with increased ability that I can't work them the way I'd like to be able to. I'd still pick the Kenjas (flex issues aside) over a bunch of other skis out there.
For what it's worth, the old Volkl carvers I have are 149cm, 70 underfoot. My BPs are 159cm. I liked BPs when I demo'd them at Big Sky at the previous Diva Week. For me, (5'0", 120 lbs, advanced) they were far softer than any Volkl I'd tried up to that point. Perhaps it's so much ability but something less obvious in your skiing and body type. Have only felt like my technique was good enough to enjoy a Volkl in the last couple seasons. Still usually more work than other brands I tend to demo (Blizzard, Rossi, Head, Dynastar).

Have you tried any of the Head Joy line?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's the weird thing. I love, love, love the feel of Volkl skis even though I can't flex them to their full potential (except maybe the Yumi). So much energy, so much bite. :smile: I haven't tried the Head Joy line yet, but at this point I'm shooting for junior skis. I've decided if my size is going to give me grief, I might as well get a good deal out of it. :tongue:

Ok I will enjoy my kenjas for the as long as they make me happy. Just curious what skis would you pick the kenja over? Just curious.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
120 lbs here - advanced/expert. Demoed the original BP and thought they were a bit blah. Demoed the Yumi in a 161 last year and was pleasantly surprised by that power in the tail. Also wanted to try it in a 155ish but got hurt a week later, so that never happened. A friend bought a pair and loves them (Yumi).

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At this point the Yumis or any junior ski I could flex better. :smile:

But I'm super tiny, so that's more a me problem.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For what it's worth, the old Volkl carvers I have are 149cm, 70 underfoot. My BPs are 159cm. I liked BPs when I demo'd them at Big Sky at the previous Diva Week. For me, (5'0", 120 lbs, advanced) they were far softer than any Volkl I'd tried up to that point. Perhaps it's so much ability but something less obvious in your skiing and body type. Have only felt like my technique was good enough to enjoy a Volkl in the last couple seasons. Still usually more work than other brands I tend to demo (Blizzard, Rossi, Head, Dynastar).

Meant to say ". . . it's not so much ability but . . ."

That's the weird thing. I love, love, love the feel of Volkl skis even though I can't flex them to their full potential (except maybe the Yumi). So much energy, so much bite. :smile: I haven't tried the Head Joy line yet, but at this point I'm shooting for junior skis. I've decided if my size is going to give me grief, I might as well get a good deal out of it. :tongue:
Yep, been there on buying junior stuff since it was cheaper. The first couple ski jackets I bought when I only skied every few years when I was working were juniors. I think one was a boy's jacket on sale. :smile:

I liked the Absolut Joy well enough at the Mnut Demo weekend in Jan that I've been keeping an eye on late season prices. But I haven't really decided what I want in addition to the BPs.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have to say I was super stoked about that pop in the tail on the Yumis. I've read about that pop/rebound before on here, but have never experienced it for myself. That was a totally wonderful ah-ha moment for me!

I am super psyched to try the yumi now that's for sure, I wanna feel that pop in the tail :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
At this point the Yumis or any junior ski I could flex better. :smile:

But I'm super tiny, so that's more a me problem.
@tinymoose, have you chatted yet with @Little Lightning - she's roughly your size, similarly prefers/needs flex-y skis - as I recall, she has had great luck with Rossi. Have you ever tried any?

Also recall a recent post (and can't find it now, duh) from someone who had some great fun on new Dynastars (back to Dynastars!?), a new model and the Cham W87, as I recall. Said she could flex. This is an issue for me as well, at 115# and a whole lotta life mileage (:rolleyes:). When Volkl Aura was "the it ski" on this forum some years back, I demo'd it in 2 sizes. I could not flex it. Well, I managed, but it was ridiculously tiring to me. (much older, full camber model)

SOMETHING WILL WORK!

Ski CT

Certified Ski Diva

I have been skiing all season on the Super Joy, both in the East and the West, and I am still in love with them, so much fun, they sizzle!:ski2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly