• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Yumi and Blizzard Black Pearl

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demo-ed both of these this year, and ended up getting the Black Pearl (which should get here TODAY, hopefully!). I didn't get the "pop" with the Yumis. They were okay but not as much fun as the BP. That said, the snow conditions were pretty different because I wasn't able to demo them the same day, so hopefully I'll be happy with my choice!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose, have you chatted yet with @Little Lightning - she's roughly your size, similarly prefers/needs flex-y skis - as I recall, she has had great luck with Rossi. Have you ever tried any?

Also recall a recent post (and can't find it now, duh) from someone who had some great fun on new Dynastars (back to Dynastars!?), a new model and the Cham W87, as I recall. Said she could flex. This is an issue for me as well, at 115# and a whole lotta life mileage (:rolleyes:). When Volkl Aura was "the it ski" on this forum some years back, I demo'd it in 2 sizes. I could not flex it. Well, I managed, but it was ridiculously tiring to me. (much older, full camber model)

SOMETHING WILL WORK!

I'm shooting for junior skis at this point, I think. :smile: I want a good bargain. I'm currently in "buy all the kids stuff!" mode. lol

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm shooting for junior skis at this point, I think. :smile: I want a good bargain. I'm currently in "buy all the kids stuff!" mode. lol
Can't blame you! I opt for boys' L or XL in t-shirts when I can : )

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose from a fellow Volkl lover, I have spent a whole day on the head super joy and I remember thinking that a light advanced skier would adore them. They were impressive in their precision and edge hold - I could ski them very fast - great stability but super light and undemanding. For me they were just too light for my taste, but I'd happily ski them anytime.
The Chams are also a great light fun ski.
So I know you are looking at other things but if you get a chance to demo those it would be worth it.

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose Have you checked out Levelnine.com? They seem to have a lot of bargains on junior race skis. Super fast shipping too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:
Interesting how things differ as brands tweak a model and as skiing technique changes. Since 2015 I had a chance to demo the Volkl Yumi @147cm, as well as the 2018 BP88 @145cm (maybe 2019 version). I'm about 5'0", 112 lbs, over 60, became a solid advanced skier in the last five years. The original Black Pearl didn't exist shorter than 152. When Blizzard re-named it to BP88 to go with BP78 (evolved from Cheyenne) and BP98 (evolved from Samba), there were design changes that were significant.

Bottom line is that the Yumi is the first Volkl that I've ever liked. I did a couple short runs in the Mid-Atlantic on a free demo day. Still wouldn't consider buying the Yumi but learned something trying it out. I bought Head Absolut Joy @148 a few summers ago for $350 (system bindings included but not installed) after demo'ing @153.

I spent two days on the BP88 @145cm at Taos. Included mornings in a group lesson for advanced skiers. Mostly on groomers with good cold snow. Had a very good time. Note that my usual length for all-mountain skis is 159cm.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just for sake of discussion, @marzNC , if you were buying the current model BP's today, would you opt for the shorter length?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna