• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl secret vs volkl kenja

Naz

Diva in Training
Hi everyone,

I wanted to know the difference between the secret and the kenja. I read mixed reviews online as some skiers prefer one to the other. Im an advanced skier that ski in iran. The snow conditions vary from ice to slush to powder thats not crazy deep to hard packed grooms to choppy snow to moguls. Basically anything other than trees or very deep pow.
I currently ski with the 2012 salomon geishas with a 97 underfoot and i like them but they chirp on fast speeds and the carving is ok.
Im looking to get a new pair of skis to match my new lange rx 110 boots. Im 5’6 and weight around 142lbs. I want something that would float ok in powder incase i wanna do a few rounds during the day but perform well on piste as well.
Some are suggesting the 170 height in either ski so it becomes more challenging and can handle powder better. Normal online stats tell me to get the 163 height. Very confused about which ski to get. Can you help please.
Thanks

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are both stiff skis, both fun skis, with the newest Kenja that is coming out next season a lot of fun. Either would work for you if you ski aggressively and with good technique. I would get the 163 if I were you. I owned the Secret this past season, which did great in powder, but I had to be "on" all the time on them, couldn't relax and cruise if I wanted to, so I've got them sold and instead picked up a pair of 2020 Nordica Santa Ana 88.

I skied the 2020 Kenja in February and it was a lot of fun on the groomers. Volkl in general are just too much ski for me in variable conditions. Based on your description, I'd get next year's Kenjas.

mustski

Angel Diva
It may be a weight thing with Volkl. I have no issue with them and don’t find them hard to ski at all. However, I am 5’2” and weigh 135lbs so I am not a lightweight for my size. Between the Kenja and the Secret, go Secret for versatility. It will do better in powder and does very well on piste as well. I prefer a 163 in Volkl if that helps.

Naz

Diva in Training
They are both stiff skis, both fun skis, with the newest Kenja that is coming out next season a lot of fun. Either would work for you if you ski aggressively and with good technique. I would get the 163 if I were you. I owned the Secret this past season, which did great in powder, but I had to be "on" all the time on them, couldn't relax and cruise if I wanted to, so I've got them sold and instead picked up a pair of 2020 Nordica Santa Ana 88.

I skied the 2020 Kenja in February and it was a lot of fun on the groomers. Volkl in general are just too much ski for me in variable conditions. Based on your description, I'd get next year's Kenjas.
Im looking at the 2019 skis to buy something on sale whats the difference between the 2019 and 2020 kenjas? The 2019 is no good?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Im an advanced skier that ski in iran. The snow conditions vary from ice to slush to powder thats not crazy deep to hard packed grooms to choppy snow to moguls. Basically anything other than trees or very deep pow.
I currently ski with the 2012 salomon geishas with a 97 underfoot and i like them but they chirp on fast speeds and the carving is ok.
Welcome! I knew there was skiing in Iran but didn't think of it as a powder destination.

Im looking at the 2019 skis to buy something on sale whats the difference between the 2019 and 2020 kenjas? The 2019 is no good?
Most ski companies make changes to a given model well beyond the top sheet graphics every few years. Sometimes, but not always, the name stays the same. It can be very confusing.

The 2020 Kendo/Kenja is different from the 2019 version. But the 2019 Kenja is a perfectly good choice for people who like Volkl skis.

https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-volkl-kenja-88-women-s-skis.html

" . . . Thanks to the resounding success of Volkl's Secret skis and their Titanal Frame Construction, the company has imparted that build to the Kenja. As a result, the ski is a bit narrower, a bit more flexible, and a whole lot of fun. The Kenja 88 loves to be pushed to high speeds over any and all terrain, but it is on the groomed slopes where this thing really comes to life. . . ."

Naz

Diva in Training
Yes. There are great powder days and off piste skiing there. You should visit. Its mostly sunny blue skies and nothing colder than -10 with great snow and lift prices are around 15$ a day with the exchange rate now lol. And you get great persian food haha. So with the 2019 models would you recommend the kenja or secret?

marzNC

Angel Diva
So with the 2019 models would you recommend the kenja or secret?
Sorry, can't help with that sort of decision. I'm not in your size category and don't find Volkl skis fun in general. When I demo them, it's to confirm that they are too stiff for me. I'm an older advanced skier, petite. Have never tried the Secret and haven't been on the current design of the Kenja.

You might learn something in this thread about 2019 skis in general.
Excited about any 2019 skis?

@Gloria decided to buy the Kenja. But might take her a while to check in. Here's her post from Sep 2018:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...-about-any-2019-skis.23015/page-2#post-370701

After April, most N. Americans aren't thinking about skiing much. The "pre-season" doesn't start until August or September. :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
I would get the Secret because it is a more versatile ski. The wider waist will help on powder days and it’s very capable of carving as well. Volkl s are great on the groom even if they are wider.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will you be spending more time on groomed, firm snow or soft, cut up snow and powder?
If groomed and firm, go with the Kenja. If cut up and powder, get the Secret. Or, get whichever one you can find for a better price.

The previous version of the Kenja was a bit less "playful" than the newest version for 2020. That's all I can remember.

elemmac

Angel Diva

In 2018, Volkl had the Aura and the Kenja, which had similar constructions...two sheets of metal to add dampness and rigidity to the skis. The main difference was the widths of the skis. In 2019, Volkl introduced a new construction for the Aura, and renamed it the Secret. The Secret introduced their "titanial frame construction". The frame construction reduced the weight of the ski, while maintaining the rigidity and dampness that people enjoyed from the Aura. The Secret's width was also scaled down to be a bit narrower than it's predecessor. In 2020, Volkl is introducing a new Kenja that has the same construction as the Secret, but with a narrower profile.

For a one ski, do-it-all... I'd probably go with the Secret. As for size...I'm about 5'5" and 135 lbs, and have had mixed feelings about which size to get in either the Kenja or the Secret. I've tried them both on more than one occasion, and in both the 170 and 163....it's a toss up. If you like to cruise open terrain, go fast and make long wide turns...go with the 170. If you prioritize bumps, trees, and shorter radius turns...go with the 163.

Another thing to consider is, what size are your Geishas? If your only complaint is they chirp at speed...the Kenja or Secret in a similar size will be better at higher speeds, while being a similar length.

Naz

Diva in Training
The geishas i have are 164. Im pretty ok with them but those were the first rocker skis i got. Before that i had atomic racers. So i have no points of comparison
Theres a 200$ price difference between the 2019 kenja and 2019 secret. So im leaning more towards the kenja but if the secret is really better i wouldnt mind spending more and getting the secret. I know the 202 kenja is different but i want to get something on sale

Naz

Diva in Training
Will you be spending more time on groomed, firm snow or soft, cut up snow and powder?
If groomed and firm, go with the Kenja. If cut up and powder, get the Secret. Or, get whichever one you can find for a better price.

The previous version of the Kenja was a bit less "playful" than the newest version for 2020. That's all I can remember.
Id say mostly groomed since powder is sometimes deep sometimes not deep in iran and its mostly off piste. We don’t venture out too much since we dont have medical helicopters and stuff incase u get lost and youre pretty much toast the kenja 2019 is 200$ cheaper

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Personally, based on your original description of what you ski and what you are looking for, I'd steer you to the Nordica Santa Ana 88, but you won't have much luck finding them on sale anywhere. You could find the Santa Ana 93 for cheap, though.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to own 2012 or 2013 Kenjas, sold them several seasons ago. I liked them a lot. They were a stiffer ski that did well on hardpack, but was demanding in 3-dimensional, ungroomed snow for me. I have heard that the new Kenjas are a lot more easy going though.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For versatility with perfectly good groomer performance, get the Secret, but go with the 163, not the 170. I'm over 200 lbs and the 170 is enough ski for me. ( Note that I have not skied next years' Kenja). You may want to add the Kanja to your search list as it's the "economy" version of the Kenja, and has one, rather than 2 layers of metal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna