• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

volkl kenja skier looking for a more playful/easier short turn ski -4 ft 11 - 110 lbs

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I saw that black and hot pink BP and started to drool. Sadly, just a wish list item. They would match my pants! What's funny is I don't wear hot pink outside of ski and running attire. :-D

SnoGirl

Diva in Training
What? I tested 14 pair of skis last season for Pugski.com and those were the skis I ended up buying--love at first turn. The 93 will not be easier to get edge-to-edge, as it's wider and has a slightly different tip construction. The 88s have two sheets of titanal, making them very stable.
That being said, a lot of gals of your size who like Kenjas really love the Yumis as they maintain the Volkl feel but are friendlier for smaller gals.
WHICH SKIS are the ones you got - kenja? santa ana? or black pearl?

SnoGirl

Diva in Training
Welcome! Although I'm pretty much your size, I'm not sure my experience will help you or not. I'm far more interested in powder turns than skiing fast. I don't like Volkl skis, except for the Yumi. As I became a solid advanced skier in the last decade (over 50), I can make Volkl skis turn but it takes concentration and work.

I've skied the BP88 @145 at Taos and had a very good time. @santacruz skier enjoyed the 152. That particular day, we were only on groomers because that's all that was open. I switched to the BP98 @152 when there was 6+ inches of fresh powder. I own the old design Black Pearl, 88mm, from 2011. The current design is much better, especially on hard snow.

As for the Santa Ana 88 and 93, I like them both quite a bit. It's fair to say that the reviewers on realskiers probably aren't our size. I demo'd the SA88 at Sunapee last March @158, which was the shortest length available. I had the SA93 @161 at Bridger last season for an advanced semi-private lesson with my favorite L3 instructor there. Hadn't been fresh snow for a few days. They were really good and we were working on bumps.

If I still lived in NYC, given what I've learned in the last five years demo'ing skis and sampling New England skiing (daughter was in school near Boston), I wouldn't buy skis over 90mm as a OSQ (One Ski Quiver). My current all-mountain skis for trips out west are 85 underfoot with Look bindings (bought in 2017 at Taos after 2 days as demo rentals). I usually rent powder skis for 10+ inches of fresh snow but have had good fun skiing them in 15+ inches of fluffy powder. For skiing in the east, I have the Head Absolut Joy @148, 78 underfoot. My Alta instructor doesn't want me to rent over 100mm for a powder lesson. YMMV
A lot of good info here - thank you. Speed is not my goal with a new ski - finding a ski that is less work than my kenjas off the groomers and in bumps is my goal. Did you like the Santa Ana in the 158 - or do you think you would prefer the 151 -- my kenjas are 149 but they aren't rockered. I would prefer to be able to demo -- but they never have the shorter advanced women's skis. My kenja's are 84 and 87 - I agree with not wanting anything a lot wider than that.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
A lot of good info here - thank you. Speed is not my goal with a new ski - finding a ski that is less work than my kenjas off the groomers and in bumps is my goal. Did you like the Santa Ana in the 158 - or do you think you would prefer the 151 -- my kenjas are 149 but they aren't rockered. I would prefer to be able to demo -- but they never have the shorter advanced women's skis. My kenja's are 84 and 87 - I agree with not wanting anything a lot wider than that.
I still have (but haven't skied in 5 years) the 2011 Kenjas in a 149.... and they were great on groomers but got tossed around in heavy ungroomed snow big time! Curious you mentioned real skiers.com did not like Santa Ana 88. Any reason why? Wish they came in a 154-156 ish to try.... 151 seems short but 159 maybe long for bumps and trees. Also heard they excel on groomed slopes and really want something for other conditions.... Interested to hear if you demo.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For the SA88 I could go with the 151 or the 158 at this point. Wouldn't have said that a few years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed the SA88 @158 on groomers in the northeast. But for bumps and trees, shorter could be more fun. My all-mountain choice for skiing out west is the Stormrider 85 @159. The longer length means better performance when I don't bother to rent powder skis when I get lucky and catch a snowstorm.

I liked the BP88 @145 far more than I expected. But that was only on soft-snow groomers (Taos 2018, low snow season). I was trying to get the 152 because my instructor preferred relatively short skis. She wasn't happy when I had longer K2 skis that were also 88 underfoot (~160cm) the first day I had demo skis, which was the second lesson day.

SnoGirl

Diva in Training
What are you skiing on right now? Length, etc? Either of these skis will fit the bill for you, but it could come down to which length works better, especially for moguls. And that could be dependent on what you are USED to skiing on. Both skis are smooth and damp thanks to titanal. A 161 SA 93 might be perfect. I'm on the 165 in the SA 88 and it feels about perfect, and I'm an inch taller than you (OK, maybe 3/4 inch since age is shrinking me!)

If my math is right 5 ft 4.75 inches means your SA 88 skis are about the same length as you are tall??
Trying to translate for my height - I am about 5 inches shorter than you - so 12.7 cm -- so I am guessing the 151 SA 88 for me is comparable??

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If my math is right 5 ft 4.75 inches means your SA 88 skis are about the same length as you are tall??
Trying to translate for my height - I am about 5 inches shorter than you - so 12.7 cm -- so I am guessing the 151 SA 88 for me is comparable??
That's a pretty close calculation, yes. (Yes, my skis are the same height as me. I would not want them any shorter.)

SnoGirl

Diva in Training
Tried the black pearl 88 and the Santa Ana 88 - demo skis so way too long but still really liked the Santa Ana....
My ski shop found the 2021 Santa Ana 88 in the 151 and it is mine...
Skied it yesterday and loved it -- It was stable like my vokl kenja. -- but so light - and much easier for quick short turns
The 2021 has Terrain Specific Metal construction which makes it lighter than the previous version. The size and shape of the Titanal layer is specifically engineered for each ski width.
Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback !!!

SnoGirl

Diva in Training
Hated the squire bindings --- terrible for a light weight. I had to stomp into them. Mine have the Tyrolia AAAttack 11 bindings - much better!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tried the black pearl 88 and the Santa Ana 88 - demo skis so way too long but still really liked the Santa Ana....
Skied it yesterday and loved it -- It was stable like my vokl kenja. -- but so light - and much easier for quick short turns
The 2021 has Terrain Specific Metal construction which makes it lighter than the previous version. The size and shape of the Titanal layer is specifically engineered for each ski width.
You are exactly who I would target this ski for, and I'm glad you love yours as much as I do mine. I think you'll find the Santa Ana much easier in crud and moguls, too.
FWIW, I own the 2020 version, skied the 2021 last week, and felt no difference despite the changes.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I probably shouldn't have kept reading, lol. Now I'm going back and forth on which skis to take w/me to Steamboat on Saturday. I don't want to lug both. It looks like there may be snow showers for several days, but no big storms are in the forecast. I want my Stormriders (85) for all mountain, but my BP82s for playing in bumps and soft snow. Just what is a girl to do?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I probably shouldn't have kept reading, lol. Now I'm going back and forth on which skis to take w/me to Steamboat on Saturday. I don't want to lug both. It looks like there may be snow showers for several days, but no big storms are in the forecast. I want my Stormriders (85) for all mountain, but my BP82s for playing in bumps and soft snow. Just what is a girl to do?
Hmm, maybe flip a coin and when it's in the air you'll know which ones you want? :wink:

I had a good time with my Stormrider 85s at Steamboat last weekend. But did opt for my new-to-me DPS Zelda (106mm) during and after the snowstorm.

I would think the BP82 can be a perfectly good all-mountain choice. Be nice on the Steamboat groomers in the afternoon when heading to the base or just taking it a little easy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
:thumbsup:

Hated the squire bindings --- terrible for a light weight. I had to stomp into them. Mine have the Tyrolia AAAttack 11 bindings - much better!
Agree. Got a tip from a rep once about how to get into Squire bindings, but would never buy skis with them. Have been happy with Look SPX bindings on the skis I own now.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jumping on to once again sing my praises for my Santa Ana 93s, and every time I take them out I like them more. Hardpack, powder, crud, slush, trees, chutes, bumps, steeps, groomers ... honestly haven’t had a problem in any of them.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jumping on to once again sing my praises for my Santa Ana 93s, and every time I take them out I like them more. Hardpack, powder, crud, slush, trees, chutes, bumps, steeps, groomers ... honestly haven’t had a problem in any of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly