• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

volkl kenja skier looking for a more playful/easier short turn ski -4 ft 11 - 110 lbs

MissySki

Angel Diva
Sorry, I blame Saturday cocktails! That WAS confusing! The 93 and 98 are going to have the same tip and tail construction as the 88, but I'm not sure of the other changes, other than sidecut will be different, etc. I'm looking at getting a 98ish ski for powder and am excited to get on these. Word is, The Black Pearl line is also being redesigned, with a BP 97.

The 93s were just not the right size for me--161 too short, 169 a bit long. I'm excited about the 165, as that is right in my wheelhouse. I LOVED the Secrets in Targhee snow, but Targhee snow, I have discovered, is not the same as Snowbasin snow. I have slowly discovered I don't care for a noodly ski, even in powder. I like the push back of a stiffer ski in powder. It gives a really smooth, stable platform. I think that's one thing I like about the 88s in powder. We have FEET of fresh here with feet on the way, and I'll be on my 88s. I actually like being down in the snow vs. planing on top of it.

I wish they’d do a 165 in the rest of the lineup, I have the same issue with their sizing!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Ohhhhhh okay, wasn’t sure if you were just referring to the 88. This is very exciting!! @lisamamot thought you might be interested in this info as well as I assume it will then change their next size up to you liking too!
Yippeee - 165 for you and perhaps a 173 for me?!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back to the OP. Welcome to the forum @SnoGirl! I'm 5.1/113. Used to have Kenja, but sold them for the same reasons you've mentioned. Skiing now on Volkl Yumi in 153, the pre-metal 2016/17 model. I like them in soft snow and bumps not so much on hardpack or crud.

I'll second that one. We aren't built the same, but I had a GREAT time in the bumps and soft snow on the 2019 Yumi's. I didn't care for them at all on ice and hardpack, however - way too squirrely and floppy. I've opted for the BP82 as a bump ski. I like the narrower width. I've also loved my BP88's for several years. I know 3 folks who have the SA93s and they love them. That said, we're all predominantly eastern skiers.

IF you get a chance, give the Stockli Stormrider 85 Motion a shot too. I don't think you can do too much demo'ing.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I'm excited to see the length changes with the Nordicas. 169 too short, 177 too long for my style of skiing. I haven't been able to demo any of the SAs due to their non-ideal lengths. I do think I would enjoy the SA if given a chance to demo. I don't need a new ski with my recent Kore 93 purchase, but it would still be fun to give them a few turns. I'll always wonder... LOL.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Saw that! Since I am one of the blasphemous that doesn’t like the #1 selling ski (the current Black Pearl 88) I cannot wait to demo the new 2021 with the changes in length and construction.
I'm excited to try them, too. I've been wishing for a BP with titanal for awhile now. :becky:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm excited to try them, too. I've been wishing for a BP with for awhile now. :becky:

I was really confused about the new core in the BP and stand corrected--they are beefing up the wood and how it's structured, but are not adding titanal. Regardless, I'm glad to hear they are giving them a bit more heft. It'll be interesting to see if they are still as friendly for lower intermediate skiers.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was really confused about the new core in the BP and stand corrected--they are beefing up the wood and how it's structured, but are not adding titanal. Regardless, I'm glad to hear they are giving them a bit more heft. It'll be interesting to see if they are still as friendly for lower intermediate skiers.
Isn't there going to be a beefier version called the Black Diamond? Thought I read that somewhere.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's why I was confused! It's a pipe dream that I started by mentioning that I'd love a BP with some titanal in it. Glad I'm not the only one who was confused.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That's why I was confused! It's a pipe dream that I started by mentioning that I'd love a BP with some titanal in it. Glad I'm not the only one who was confused.
Where did that picture come from? Black with magenta was nice ha ha

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
One thing I failed to mention to the OP is that I currently have the 2011 Volkl Kenja in a 149 but haven't skied them in several years...... and I'm similar stats, a little taller and lighter - 5'1 100 lbs ish

lisamamot

Angel Diva
+1 me on the confused! I thought it was a thing too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly