• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Kenja 88

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,
I have really old equipment and am looking to get back into skiing again. Can anyone recommend sites where higher end used equipment is for sale? If I were able to buy new, I would go with Volkl Kenja 88. Haven't tried them but like the sound of them. My current gear was great 23 years ago, but I absolutely need new gear when I take up skiing again this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am from The Six (Greater Toronto Area).

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Powder7 sells used demo skis and I have had good experiences there. Bonus with that will be once you get your boots sorted the demo bindings can be easily adjusted. Boots are better purchased in person if you can. There’s good boot and bootfitter posts on this forum so you can be an educated consumer. Welcome back to skiing!

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just saw you were in Canada - the shipping and import expenses will kill deals from the US. @Jilly usually has great info for Canadian divas!

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,
I have really old equipment and am looking to get back into skiing again. Can anyone recommend sites where higher end used equipment is for sale? If I were able to buy new, I would go with Volkl Kenja 88. Haven't tried them but like the sound of them. My current gear was great 23 years ago, but I absolutely need new gear when I take up skiing again this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am from The Six (Greater Toronto Area).

Just saw you were in Canada - the shipping and import expenses will kill deals from the US. @Jilly usually has great info for Canadian divas!
thank you

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Powder7 sells used demo skis and I have had good experiences there. Bonus with that will be once you get your boots sorted the demo bindings can be easily adjusted. Boots are better purchased in person if you can. There’s good boot and bootfitter posts on this forum so you can be an educated consumer. Welcome back to skiing!
Thank you! I'm hoping that my boots still fit. Apparently things haven't changed that much in that department.

Jilly

Staff member
Welcome to Ski Diva!!

First - BOOTS!! You're going to need properly fitted boots. Corbett's, Sign of the Skier and Skiis and Bikes. Do not go to Sport chek, unless it's the one in Aurora. You're boots are your connection to your skis. Without properly fitted boots, you will not be spending any time on the hill. (I can give you the guy in Aurora's name, if that close)

I prefer a carving skis for Ontario skiing. But Asogear has 2 pair of Volkl 88's from last year on sale. It's a eBay store that actually belongs to Corbetts. I'm not sure if there are many ski swaps this year. The big one associated the Snow show didn't happen this year. I out of touch with GTA happenings, as I'm eastern Ontario.

Ontario with our ice, a good carver that is something under 75 would be better. And if you're coming off that vintage of skis, a good lesson on these shapey things would be in order too.

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
OMG Jilly, are you really talking about Aurora ONTARIO on this forum? YEAH! Wow! Thank you soooo much. My problem is, when I last skiied seriosly, it was a three month drip through Colorado, Utah, California an BC where I was enjoying powder and bowls and amazing groomers on my snowboard. That was 22 years ago. Now I am 58 and won't have the strength I did. As far as skiing in the east, I use my board whenever I'm on tiny local hills, unless there are bumps - which I am forever enjoying mastering. Unfortunately, I enjoy speed and large radius turns as much as nice clean slalom turns. So, I'm totally stumped as to the type of ski to buy in this new market??? Also, Jilly, which hills are most likely to open first in eastern ontario/Quebec? Are you in Ottawa?

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks Sarah!

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant opens next weekend. Someone around Barrie should open as soon as it gets cold enough.

So if you're thinking of a ski for out west, then 88+ will be good. I have the Santa Ana for that. Just because a ski has a wide waist, doesn't make it a long turning ski. The problem with a lot of the "all mountain skis" is that they are softer than a carver ski and won't hold the ice. Some do. So the best thing to do it to demo skis in the conditions you'll use them the most.

I normally ski a Rossi Hero ST Ti. It's a tuned down carver. I have the SA 88's to take west, or if we get over 4" of new. So last year the SA's were out 1.

And how are the knees? There is lots of ongoing research into the waist width and knee issues. I cannot ski the 88's on hardpack for a day. If I do, I'm not walking the next day. Nice soft snow that hasn't been groomed to ice, no problems.

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Seriously, Tremblant is opening next weekend? Sweet - I know that's what they had planned, wasn't sure if it was going to happen. Perhaps my best bet is to go somewhere like Tremblant for a couple of days and do the premium rental package? Your information is invaluable to me. I can't thank you enough Jilly!

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Tremblant opens next weekend. Someone around Barrie should open as soon as it gets cold enough.

So if you're thinking of a ski for out west, then 88+ will be good. I have the Santa Ana for that. Just because a ski has a wide waist, doesn't make it a long turning ski. The problem with a lot of the "all mountain skis" is that they are softer than a carver ski and won't hold the ice. Some do. So the best thing to do it to demo skis in the conditions you'll use them the most.

I normally ski a Rossi Hero ST Ti. It's a tuned down carver. I have the SA 88's to take west, or if we get over 4" of new. So last year the SA's were out 1.

And how are the knees? There is lots of ongoing research into the waist width and knee issues. I cannot ski the 88's on hardpack for a day. If I do, I'm not walking the next day. Nice soft snow that hasn't been groomed to ice, no problems.
Yikes - Rossi Hero ST Ti is tres expensive! Anything else you can recommend if I can't find this one used?

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to the forum! What length are you thinking of? Or alternatively height and weight if you don’t mind us procrastinators (the laundry can wait a little longer, can’t it?) giving suggestions.

pegprince

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome to the forum! What length are you thinking of? Or alternatively height and weight if you don’t mind us procrastinators (the laundry can wait a little longer, can’t it?) giving suggestions.
No, but I will and I will add it to my list. btw, I am 5'6 and 140lbs. would you go with the 163 if you were me?

newboots

Angel Diva
Hey, @pegprince ! Glad to have you here! I am unfamiliar with places to find used demo skis in Canada, but there is a big market for them and they'd be an ideal choice.

Happy to have you!

:welcome:

Jilly

Staff member
I'm shorter and heavier, and that's what I think my SA 88's are. I'll check at noon.
Check your messages - the little envelope in the upper right.

newboots

Angel Diva
There's more to ski length now than the exact cm. Look also at the amount of tip and tail rocker. Skis with a larger rocket will "ski shorter" than their measured length, since less of the ski is on the snow.

newboots

Angel Diva
How did you know I was putting off doing laundry?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna