• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Flair help please:-)

Klavan

Diva in Training
Hey ladies! I live in upstate NY...and ski mostly hardpack, ice, crud, and occasionally through heavy piles. Yay! I’ve been skiing on Volkl Kenjas, but really think they are not the best ski for my area. I’ve been looking into the Flair 81 & SC. I want some ice-biting GS turns...but still need to make it through the piles of crud. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi! Welcome! I'm in Upstate NY too, Today was demo day at my home Mt.
My pick of the day was the Blizzard Alight 8.2; 168cm, As you know, we had 1/2" of ice coating last night that was tilled very nicely into the glorious powder we were so enjoying until the darn rain/ice last night. They performed really well. Carved great and hugged the icey spots,big turns, little turns, they plowed thru the piles. I like the playful feeling of Blizzards, they respond when you want them too and have rebound. I'll also suggest check out Atomic Cloud Series I have Cloud 11's, now 12s they are tuned down Redster race ski, incredible carvers big and small, the Cloud 9 is very nice with bigger 'sweet spot" & tad wider under foot, the cloud 8, 7 are more intermediate skier skis and imo have a speed thresehold as you go down in # but very stable and great for learning how to carve. The Flairs weren't available at all today! The Rep told my friend they are in such high demand he didn't even have this yrs models and next yrs not being made yet! I did demo last yrs Flair but I think it was 70 under foot, it was a tight carver and very fast edge to edge, great grip, very much like my cloud 11's but I find them a bit too stiff w/out 'the pop' I like in a ski, but they are a very nice eastern carver.

I Hope you can demo some, there are so many skis!

MouseInLux

Certified Ski Diva
I have flair 74s from a few years ago. I’m not an amazing skier and haven’t anything to compare them with because we bought them on line after I read a few articles. Yup, great idea, right? BUT that being said I like the same sort of skiing as you do and as long as I stick to that skiing they are great.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Flair 81s from last season and they seem to go edge to edge very easily for me on groomed runs. They held on well and it felt like cutting through butter with a hot knife. I have the 163 length. Ive only used them like 5 times because i had other focus this season but they were fun each time.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Upstate Diva here, too. I love my Kenjas as a go-to, one ski quiver. Just fun! Are your edges sharp enough to handle the ice? Waxed?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve got last year’s Flair in 76 and it did great (well as great as you might expect in poor conditions) last week in hardpack/icy/ ice rocks. They also turn much more smoothly/ easily that my temptations in 75 or BP88s...

elemmac

Angel Diva
Hey ladies! I live in upstate NY...and ski mostly hardpack, ice, crud, and occasionally through heavy piles. Yay! I’ve been skiing on Volkl Kenjas, but really think they are not the best ski for my area. I’ve been looking into the Flair 81 & SC. I want some ice-biting GS turns...but still need to make it through the piles of crud. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you’re looking for a one ski quiver and getting rid of the Kenjas, I’d go with the 81s for versatility. If you’re keeping the Kenjas for more variable days and softer snow, go with the SC for the groomer only kind of days.

Klavan

Diva in Training
Thank you all VERY much for your comments!! I was able to demo some Elan Insomnia's this weekend. I definitely enjoyed them much more on my conditions. It was difficult putting the Kenja's back on - I felt like I was just getting bounced around. (I will keep them for our 2 powder days though:-) I really enjoyed the pop from the metal core at the end of my turns. They are 73 under foot...and I think I would like to stay around that range. That got me looking at the Flair SC carbon - but I am not sure I would get the same pop out of those? I would love some more comments/help/advice:-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna