• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Blaze 86w

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My understanding is no changes since release through 2023, but who knows if they'll change this for 2024...
I'm going to contact Gnomes shortly and find out. I know there are no changes to the Sheevas for 2024, I even had sneak peak at the new top sheets which look pretty fancy.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm going to contact Gnomes shortly and find out. I know there are no changes to the Sheevas for 2024, I even had sneak peak at the new top sheets which look pretty fancy.
Ohhh what do the Sheevas look like??

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Blaze 86W last year at Killington and also loved them (also a fellow Sheeva 9 owner hahaha). Agree that they're a great bump & tree ski, especially here in the east. I demoed the 159 if I remember correctly and I'm 5'2" 130lb. Own the Sheeva 9 in the 157.

ride_ski

Angel Diva
I will have demo bindings, so you can try mine out if you haven’t had a chance to get on them before then. I will surely bring them to Diva East since I can bring a couple of pairs with driving. Not sure if you would prefer the 159 or 166. I got the 159 and @lisamamot liked the 166.. so we are both down one size from what we’d usually get.
Well that sounds like an offer I couldn't refuse :smile:
Mine are usually mid-160's , so since both you and Lisa sized down that would probably be right for me too

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting. Maybe I'll add these to my ever growing Volkl demo list. Wanna try the new Kenja on recommendation from Trish. Currently just have race skis, since I sold my Yumis, so looking for something in the 80s.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Interesting. Maybe I'll add these to my ever growing Volkl demo list. Wanna try the new Kenja on recommendation from Trish. Currently just have race skis, since I sold my Yumis, so looking for something in the 80s.
I was actually going to ask you if you had tried them. I fear you may not like them since you seem to like a quite stiffer ski than I do though. Would be very interested in your review.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was actually going to ask you if you had tried them. I fear you may not like them since you seem to like a quite stiffer ski than I do though. Would be very interested in your review.
I don't know that it's that I like stiffer skis anymore? I do prefer damper skis, and I definitely prefer a more traditionally cambered ski, and a more traditional tail (not super rockered, a little on the stiffer side). The Yumis I had were definitely stiffer than my race skis, though, and they're not one of Volk's stiffer skis in the line-up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't know that it's that I like stiffer skis anymore? I do prefer damper skis, and I definitely prefer a more traditionally cambered ski, and a more traditional tail (not super rockered, a little on the stiffer side). The Yumis I had were definitely stiffer than my race skis, though, and they're not one of Volk's stiffer skis in the line-up.
I didn't find the current iteration of the Yumis stiff at all, which is why I was willing to try them as I don't like overly stiff or damp skis. The exception being Stocklis I guess, I love my stormriders and I liked the Nela 80 as well when demoing this weekend. Stocklis just seem to have a nice blend of dampness that agrees with me as they aren't at all lifeless. I have always tended to find the stiffer Volkls very planky.

I would like to try the Nela 80 again in a longer size. They only had the 157 which felt very short. I thought the ski was pretty fun, but I was finding myself wanting more ski also, so I'd need to get on a longer pair to further assess.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Today I chatted with the manager of the shop at Sunday River and he agreed to selling me a pair of demo Squires, yay! They were the same price as the regular Squires they carry, and I get a passholder discount, plus the skis are already with them and just a short walk or ski from my condo, so all very convenient. They are going to mount this week (I told them to just mount as they would their demo skis obviously) and then I'll just bring in my boot when I pick up this weekend so they can do a release test.

So excited! I'm not sure if I'll ski them this weekend as the little rocks in the snow have been plentiful currently.. but excited to have them ready to go.

Last edited:

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
How did you decide on the demo Squire bindings?

The reason I ask is that I bought the Blaze 94w for a touring ski and mounted them with a lightweight tech binding. Prior to taking them out in the backcountry, I spent some time on them in-bounds. Wow! What a fun ski!

So, now I think I need a pair for resort skiing w/ proper alpine bindings, but I'd like to put on a relatively lightweight binding. My current alpine setup is the Salomon Lux 92 with Tyrolia Attack bindings. Those bindings are massive and heavy.

Of course, I don't really need another alpine setup...

MissySki

Angel Diva

The reason I ask is that I bought the Blaze 94w for a touring ski and mounted them with a lightweight tech binding. Prior to taking them out in the backcountry, I spent some time on them in-bounds. Wow! What a fun ski!

So, now I think I need a pair for resort skiing w/ proper alpine bindings, but I'd like to put on a relatively lightweight binding. My current alpine setup is the Salomon Lux 92 with Tyrolia Attack bindings. Those bindings are massive and heavy.

So I have a history of really liking skis when I demo, and then not as much when I buy and mount various regular bindings. They just feel different. At this point I feel it must be the ramp angle and/or the stack height of the demo binding that I like, and the regular Squires (and Attacks which I also have mounted on some skis) are very different in those regards from the demo binding.

This time I've decided that I am going with the exact binding I demoed the ski with, so hopefully that will alleviate any chance of the different feelings of the demo ski versus the one I bought. I want to say the Squire demo is the lightest demo you can get in general, but I'm not 100% on that assertion. I do know that the setup I demoed felt plenty lightweight though, so I have no qualms about weight concerns with this setup for me.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I am thinking of getting the same skis with a tech binding for touring. Which binding do you have on them? Also glad to hear you like how they ski as I don't think I'll be able to demo them first.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
So I have a history of really liking skis when I demo, and then not as much when I buy and mount various regular bindings. They just feel different. At this point I feel it must be the ramp angle and/or the stack height of the demo binding that I like, and the regular Squires (and Attacks which I also have mounted on some skis) are very different in those regards from the demo binding.

This time I've decided that I am going with the exact binding I demoed the ski with, so hopefully that will alleviate any chance of the different feelings of the demo ski versus the one I bought. I want to say the Squire demo is the lightest demo you can get in general, but I'm not 100% on that assertion. I do know that the setup I demoed felt plenty lightweight though, so I have no qualms about weight concerns with this setup for me.
Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for your explanation!

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
I am thinking of getting the same skis with a tech binding for touring. Which binding do you have on them? Also glad to hear you like how they ski as I don't think I'll be able to demo them first.
I got the ATK Crest 8 binding because I have a pro deal with Black Diamond. I have yet to tour with them, though, which will be the real test of functionality.

ride_ski

Angel Diva

You forgot one thing----you wanted to get the demo bindings so that other ski divas could try out the new skis :smile:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I got the ATK Crest 8 binding because I have a pro deal with Black Diamond. I have yet to tour with them, though, which will be the real test of functionality.
This is the exact same set up I have — 94W and ATK Crest 8. Also looking forward to your impressions as I haven’t toured with them yet either…

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm working on scoring a pair of these with the 2024 graphics (because I love the 2024 graphics!) You ladies have convinced me that I need to give these a whirl for progressing in crud and bumps, so I am also going with the 159 as it sounds like the rubber inserts help smooth out the ride quite a bit. Hoping I might have them by next week!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna