• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Volkl Attiva Fuego

wave_spice

Certified Ski Diva
Oh wow! Girls, you were right. These skis ROCKED! I tried the Lunas, Tierras, and Fuegos and came home with the Fuegos. After trying both the 161 and 154 I actually decided on the shorter ones. They transformed me! :becky: I'm just dying to get on them again. I was so worried they would be too much for me but I was WRONG! I actually loved all three skis but for different reasons. I think I could have been happy with any of them. Of course, after trying the Fuegos I couldn't go back down. :laugh:
....Marge, out of curiosity, what did you like/dislike about the Tierra's? I am trying to decide between the Tierra and the Fuego. The demo shop is not on the mountain and I am up in the air between 2 skis and 2 different lengths...and unfortunately, I don't have 4 days to ski :-(

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....Marge, out of curiosity, what did you like/dislike about the Tierra's? I am trying to decide between the Tierra and the Fuego. The demo shop is not on the mountain and I am up in the air between 2 skis and 2 different lengths...and unfortunately, I don't have 4 days to ski :-(

wave_spice, I haven't skied the Fuegos, but I own the Tierras...what are the criteria you're using for your decision? Might be able to throw my 2 cents on the Tierras thus far (though haven't gotten to ski a ton on them yet, I'll be skiing two days this weekend yay!)

wave_spice

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks micph.
I would like to be able to ski bumps and trees/off piste.
I ski mostly in NH and Vt so I am primarily looking for something to handle ice/crud and responds to turns-I like the bumps.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumps, trees, and off-piste = not the Fuego. They'll do all of the above, but not well and certainly not happily. The Fuego is a hard snow carving speed freak. I can't really recommend any Volkl for bump use except maybe some of their twins.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second what Volkl Girl said...I have skied packed bumps and glades w/ the Volkls. The short turn radius is great, but the stiff tails, not so much! It's doable, but more of a chore than a "proper" ski. The Fuego wants to be on its edges not smearing bumps and such. Fresh snow in the glades, they sink and do not want to turn so easily anymore! I basically take the Fuegos out on days that will be 90-100% groomed out runs and I have a great time on them : )

I use the K2 PE as my go to all-around ski. All it really lacks in the edge grip and speed the Fuegos have. It's much softer and actually carves pretty well for a twin. It's actually fun in bumps : )

-veggielasagna

Pandita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Fuegos today!!! I love the Fuegos. I was amazed at the edge I got an how fast they went. I started to get a littlte lazy and then the Fuegos reminded me carve, carve, carve go on edge edge edge. These skiis loved being on edge. I had a blast. These skis made me have a great day. :clap::thumbsup:

I may have to buy these but before I do is there something else I should demo just to make sure? Any ideas?:becky:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wave spice - I liked the Tierras but they just didn't have the turning "Pop" I was looking for. Other than that I really liked them too.

As for bumps I actually did like the Fuegos in the bumps (but remember I went for a shorter ski). In fact, that was my deciding factor to get those instead of the Tierras. Although the Lunas ROCKED in the bumps.

After what VG said I may have to try out some bump skis specifically next time and see what I'm missing!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also demo'd fuegos today and loved them! Really zippy in the turns. I'm a really nervous bump skier and I felt really secure. Also unintentionally hit a few bumps and was amazed at how I was able to right myself. Then I took them down a steepish black which was great until I hit ice causing a close examination of the grooming:eek:. So to recover I took them over a few small jumps in the terrain park. Hadn't planned to buy skis - not enough storage space, too expensive - but wow were they more fun than rentals! Demoing some Burnin' Luvs tomorrow and looking forward to the contrast.

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another proud fuego owner! Demo'd the Burnin Luvs, which I enjoyed, but the fuegos were a whole different experience. Got the 154s (I'm 5'5.5'' and 134lbs). Still haven't skied them at full speed. Everytime I get close I get scared and throw on the brakes because I've never skied so fast before! So far it's 90% thrill with 10% pure terror:D

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another proud fuego owner! Demo'd the Burnin Luvs, which I enjoyed, but the fuegos were a whole different experience. Got the 154s (I'm 5'5.5'' and 134lbs). Still haven't skied them at full speed. Everytime I get close I get scared and throw on the brakes because I've never skied so fast before! So far it's 90% thrill with 10% pure terror:D

I cannot believe how much faster I ski with these skis and feel SO much more in control. I still am in mad, MAD LOVE with them. Every time I ski them I find something even better about them. I keep waiting for them to "fail". :redface:

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Many thanks for your reviews Divas! Now I have these babies in 154 cm!
upload_2018-1-12_10-12-59.png

Love them. I was just lucky to get them when they should be long out of market, I suppose.
The only problem for me now is going through occasional ice patches on the slopes.
They are also a great teacher for me!

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bumps, trees, and off-piste = not the Fuego. They'll do all of the above, but not well and certainly not happily. The Fuego is a hard snow carving speed freak. I can't really recommend any Volkl for bump use except maybe some of their twins.

Couple of weeks ago, on a hill that I don't know well, I happened to find myself on a bump run. Was scared of course. :( Had little idea how to get down, but managed anyway.
Those skis did zigzag rather well!

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So far we have been discussing the 2009 Fuego. What about the later versions, 2010, 2011, 2012?

I am looking for a longer Fuego, and found a pair for sale not far from me. This one - https://www.evo.com/outlet/skis/volkl-attiva-fuego-emotion0-tc-bindings-womens

Length 158 cm, radius 14.6, 124-72-93.

My daily driver Fuego is 154, radius about 11+, 121-73-105.

How different would those other skis be for me, could anybody estimate ?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The length and waist width differences won't be noticable, fut the tails will release easier, and the tips will hook up the tiniest bit faster, so easier in cruddy snow and bumps, but not quite so aggressive on groomers.

Lilia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks volklgirl! :smile:
Do I correctly understand that the other skis would be not that aggressive on groomed slopes as my current ones?
The tails would be easier because they are 93 against my 105 cm, and the tips would do a very little faster turns as they are 124 against my 121 cm?

Looks like a good improvement chance for me!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna