• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vitamin D

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am never in contact with anyone and I am very healthy. I never even have a sniffle. I take vitamin D 4000 and recommend it to everyone as an essential vitamin.
Interesting about Vitamin D as my MD told me (after reviewing blood work for bone density issues) that my Vitamin D levels "didn't need to be that high" and to stop taking the 800 units 2 x a day. Cut it in half !

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Interesting about Vitamin D as my MD told me (after reviewing blood work for bone density issues) that my Vitamin D levels "didn't need to be that high" and to stop taking the 800 units 2 x a day. Cut it in half !
Hi,
Everyone is different. I find that I feel much better when I take 4000. My energy is better and my mood is better. I tried cutting back and I just felt tired. I may need more than other people. I am slim and petite, I train hard in the gym. I go by how I feel. Doctors are not always right and would rather you take prescriptions for everything.
My gyn told me I shouldn’t get a yearly ultrasound. I didn’t listen and got one and they found a polyp on my uterus. After watching my mom die of ovarian cancer I know what to do . I know when not to listen to bad doctors. I basically saved my own life by getting that ultra sound.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hi,
Everyone is different. I find that I feel much better when I take 4000. My energy is better and my mood is better. I tried cutting back and I just felt tired. I may need more than other people. I am slim and petite, I train hard in the gym. I go by how I feel. Doctors are not always right and would rather you take prescriptions for everything.
My gyn told me I shouldn’t get a yearly ultrasound. I didn’t listen and got one and they found a polyp on my uterus. After watching my mom die of ovarian cancer I know what to do . I know when not to listen to bad doctors. I basically saved my own life by getting that ultra sound.
Glad you went with your instincts and family history.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I wonder if this is influenced by the part of the country you live in? New England is pretty bad for vitamin D absorption in the winter months. I know I had obscenely low vitamin D for many years where my doctor would do the super high dosed prescriptions for awhile on and off with a weekly dose in addition to my taking over the counter daily. This was found ~2013 and it was always low low low, all of my prescriptions and over the counter vitamins only ever got me to the low end of the normal range. Fast forward to last summer and it was the first time I was tested and my level was actually really good. She just told me to keep doing what I'm doing with my daily dose so that's what I've been continuing.

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
I wonder if this is influenced by the part of the country you live in? New England is pretty bad for vitamin D absorption in the winter months. I know I had obscenely low vitamin D for many years where my doctor would do the super high dosed prescriptions for awhile on and off with a weekly dose in addition to my taking over the counter daily. This was found ~2013 and it was always low low low, all of my prescriptions and over the counter vitamins only ever got me to the low end of the normal range. Fast forward to last summer and it was the first time I was tested and my level was actually really good. She just told me to keep doing what I'm doing with my daily dose so that's what I've been continuing.
I tried to lower my dosage to 2000 and I feel depressed and tired when I do. 4000 works for me. To me it’s like an anti-depressant pill.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I tried to lower my dosage to 2000 and I feel depressed and tired when I do. 4000 works for me. To me it’s like an anti-depressant pill.

Sounds like a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it"! I wouldn't change that either. I think it's great that you've been able to pinpoint it being such a help to you.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And my Vitamin D level test was because MD's trying to determine if a factor with my low bone density results..... and it's not.

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,
Omg, one of my biggest surprises when i moved to the states. In Europe ultrasound is a part of your regular check up. They wouldn’t do it here even though i asked for it! I guess i will have to push more this year.

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Definitely push for the ultra sound. Ultra sound saved my life 12 years ago. I am 53 now. Don’t take no for an answer! I wished my mom got them because she would probably be alive today. Find a the right doctor. It’s your body and your life. Prevention is the best medicine.

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
Ladies, don’t let bad doctors push you around.
Female cancers have no symptoms and by the time you have symptoms, it’s too late.
I am here because I didn’t listen to my bad doctor. A female doctor is more likely to listen to you in my experience. I had a polyp on my uterus and had no symptoms at all.

Jilly

Staff member
Definitely push for the ultra sound. Ultra sound saved my life 12 years ago. I am 53 now. Don’t take no for an answer! I wished my mom got them because she would probably be alive today. Find a the right doctor. It’s your body and your life. Prevention is the best medicine.

My mother too. I get both PAP smear and Trans-vaginal ultrasound every year. We do have a difference in health care in Canada, but the doctor's use guidelines to get around NOT having to test. I just remind them of my past health issue (PAP) and Mom's OC.

Sandrinjo

Certified Ski Diva
My mother too. I get both PAP smear and Trans-vaginal ultrasound every year. We do have a difference in health care in Canada, but the doctor's use guidelines to get around NOT having to test. I just remind them of my past health issue (PAP) and Mom's OC.
Here in the states everything is different. I had a bad pap smear three years ago and a doctor here told me well the procedure is to wait 3 years and do another one , and if it is bad again then to do further testing. I was like i can die in three years, and they were like we don’t care what you do in europe, that is how we do it here. It was really scary for a moment. I ended up calling my doctor in europe who told me to take some pills and luckily it turned out ok. I hear Canadian health care is more similar to European then american. Here it is all about cutting costs. States have the largest mortality of pregnant women among developed countries and you would think it would be the opposite. One factor is expensive health care but the other one is compared to Europe , noticeably less doctor visits and preventive testing and check ups.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Here in the states everything is different. I had a bad pap smear three years ago and a doctor here told me well the procedure is to wait 3 years and do another one , and if it is bad again then to do further testing. I was like i can die in three years, and they were like we don’t care what you do in europe, that is how we do it here. It was really scary for a moment. I ended up calling my doctor in europe who told me to take some pills and luckily it turned out ok. I hear Canadian health care is more similar to European then american. Here it is all about cutting costs. States have the largest mortality of pregnant women among developed countries and you would think it would be the opposite. One factor is expensive health care but the other one is compared to Europe , noticeably less doctor visits and preventive testing and check ups.

I'd say it really also depends on your doctor, they are not nearly all like this. I've had doctors who I felt ran too many tests etc. at times and others that would seemingly just order whatever I asked for. I've never really had someone tell me no if I asked for something due to a concern that wasn't totally off base, perhaps they take it another way than I originally anticipated, but they are also the experts. If you don't like one doctor, try another. Don't think that the entire system is cookie cutter in the US, it's definitely not.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
4000 units of D sounds good, if your level is already in a good range. I definitely feel better when I'm taking it regularly. Good for you, @Boston girl , for pushing for the best care for yourself.

I don't know much about the contraindications of D or too much D. Also I've read it ends up functioning like a hormone in the system, more so than a vitamin. Interesting stuff, even for a layperson like me.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I notice I feel a lot better when I keep up vit D intake as well, and I catch fewer colds and get hit less hard by the flu. I tested persistently low in vit D levels on blood tests, so starting supplementing regularly. In winter I like to take the one the doctor prescribes monthly (50,000 IU) and take a 1,000 IU one daily as well.

Boston girl

Certified Ski Diva
That should do the trick. I take between 2000-4000IU. People who get colds and flu may have low vitamin D levels. It’s definitely essential right now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly