• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Stratton

marzNC

Angel Diva
Based on the online map it looks like the gondola isn’t open? So it wound be the tamarack then over to it’s express to get to the top. For now I’ve cancelled hotel but will decide by Saturday whether to drive up on Sunday.
Not going until you have a better idea of what lifts and terrain will be open makes a lot of sense.

Without the gondola, I would probably just park at Sun Bowl. Can get to the top riding another lift after unloading from Sunrise Express.

As I remember, we found a way to get to 91, the green road (very flat) from the mid-mountain lodge. Maybe @diymom remembers. Had to walk up (skis on) a little bit to get to Grizzly Access, which goes to the base of Ursa Express.

I was in full "tourist" mode for the day at Stratton. We rode every open lift and mostly skied greens and blues. While I ski off-piste a lot out west, I stay off re-frozen bumpy terrain in the northeast. I went down Rick's Catch 22 (black) once. It was not fun at all.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not going until you have a better idea of what lifts and terrain will be open makes a lot of sense.

Without the gondola, I would probably just park at Sun Bowl. Can get to the top riding another lift after unloading from Sunrise Express.

As I remember, we found a way to get to 91, the green road (very flat) from the mid-mountain lodge. Maybe @diymom remembers. Had to walk up (skis on) a little bit to get to Grizzly Access, which goes to the base of Ursa Express.

I was in full "tourist" mode for the day at Stratton. We rode every open lift and mostly skied greens and blues. While I ski off-piste a lot out west, I stay off re-frozen bumpy terrain in the northeast. I went down Rick's Catch 22 (black) once. It was not fun at all.
Hi, when did you visit? Just recently?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh I see you are describing last March. :smile:
I do my ski safari explorations during early or late season. The last few years my daughter was in boarding school near Boston, so I planned ski trips around her winter and spring breaks. That's why I have a better feel for northeast skiing than before.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Paging @Tvan for advice about where to park on MLK Day. Is there a shuttle bus from the main base to Sun Bowl?

I’m not sure about the shuttle. It’s possible.
As for greens, the Tamarack area is great for beginners. The lower mountain blues off from American Express are all relatively easy, but there will be lots of traffic on them so stay aware.

Best bet is Gondola to the peak and then Easy Street to Lower Drifter, and any blues on that side (Upper Drifter, Jane Way Junction) will be fun.

On the Sunbowl side, lower Downeaster and the Gentle Ben are lovely and usually deserted blues. Lots of fun. Avoid Sunriser Super Trail - its like skiing on the autobahn if you are an early intermediate. And avoid Black Bear...it gets icy and tracked out and busy. I hate that run.

Stratton doesn't get a lot of love on this site, which I’ve never understood because we have always enjoyed it. We spent Christmas at Stratton for a decade when our godchildren were small and found it to be a great mountain for families.

Your mileage may vary, but we head back every year. Enjoy!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
On a somewhat related note - are the conditions at Killington any better? Worth an extra hour drive?
Check the Northeast Skiology group on Facebook to get ski conditions forecasts for this weekend. Right now Gore looks very promising. As does Sugarbush, and Stowe.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Read a mini trip report on a regional forum about conditions at Stratton today. The advanced skier who wrote it was very happy. Apparently there was 5+ inches of fresh snow. Groomers should be in great shape by the weekend.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you the skiology link is great! I have followed the group. And it looks like Stratton might be in good shape by Monday!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’m planning to ski Stratton on Tuesday, on my way to Okemo for the Women’s Alpine Adventure which starts on Wednesday! Can’t wait!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna