• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Stratton

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi all! Hope your season is going well. Planning a trip up to Stratton next weekend... how are the conditions? Looks like there are some greens runs that my kids could try - which ones would you recommend? Also - looking at the map - can you take the tamarack 3 lift to ursa express to go to the top and come down via easy street? Also for those that have the ikon base pass - I know Saturday and Sunday are blackouts but Monday should be ok, right? Thank you!

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
The conditions here are pretty bad because of a really severe thaw and rain this week. It’s possible though that Stratton will blow a lot of snow this week and we may get a foot of snow this weekend so it could be OK. It could also be pretty nice if we get lucky. The green runs at Stratton are extremely flat. So much so that you will probably have to skate or push yourself along in some areas. It’s definitely a beginner friendly mountain with low pitch green trails.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m going to keep my fingers crossed then! My bad for booking hotel before checking conditions. The ikon pass has me itching to try new places out!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If the greens are flat, can you recommend some easy blues? I’ve got a tentative 6 year old so I really try to keep her within her comfort zone

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, we had another severe freeze-thaw-freeze this weekend. Temps went from 1*F. on Thursday morning to 51* Sunday. Up here (I’m north of Stratton, near Okemo, the trails are in terrible shape. Ice everywhere, even bare spots in places.

Now that it’s cold we will see snowmaking in earnest, as @NYSnowflake said above. Crossing our fingers! Most of New England is hoping with you!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah the last week has been insane! In any case I think it will be worth going up to get a lay of the land for a long we trip later in the season. By the way - is ice skating and tubing open? Website has conflicting information

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all! Hope your season is going well. Planning a trip up to Stratton next weekend... how are the conditions? Looks like there are some greens runs that my kids could try - which ones would you recommend? Also - looking at the map - can you take the tamarack 3 lift to ursa express to go to the top and come down via easy street? Also for those that have the ikon base pass - I know Saturday and Sunday are blackouts but Monday should be ok, right? Thank you!

I'm pretty sure you can ski down to the Ursa Express from the Tamarack 3. You can definitely do it from the American Express lift, which is right in front of the base lodge. Great beginner trails that come down from the top: any of the Meadow trails (Upper West, Upper East, Lower West, Lower East). They're on the right side of the mountain, as you're looking up. You can even take the gondola up to access them, which the kids would probably love.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome thanks! Looking at the online map it looks like limited lifts are open so it looked like the only way to the top - but the map doesn’t show a clear route over to the next lift

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
We were there between Christmas and New Year's Eve and it was very icy. We stuck mostly to the greens and while the lower ones were in good enough shape (day 1), the one from the top (day 2) was icy and skied off and she ended up having a scary accident. Luckily the ski patrol/medics/Otis clinic are all amazing, and she is fine now. I'd suggest asking at the ticket window and ski patrol (who are everywhere) which greens are in the best shape and start there. Have fun and fingers crossed for snow!!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes thanks for that great tip. Will definitely ask about conditions when we get there. Fingers crossed for good snowmaking weather this week!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Has anyone been up to Stratton the last couple days? I’m debating whether to just stay in the Poconos for the long weekend - it’s shaping up to be an incredibly cold Monday too (which is when we would ski)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Has anyone been up to Stratton the last couple days? I’m debating whether to just stay in the Poconos for the long weekend - it’s shaping up to be an incredibly cold Monday too (which is when we would ski)
Would help to know a little more about your kids interests and experience. Where have your kids skied so far? Are they timid or adventurous? Do they only ski greens in the mid-Atlantic or have the ventured onto easy blues?

I've been with little kids in frigid weather at Massanutten who were beginners or advanced beginners under age 8. On a weekend that can mean waiting in line for 10-15 min and then riding a lift for 7-10 min, then taking two short runs (5 min each max) and going in to warm up. The advantage of a bigger resort is that you get more turns for each lift ride. Stratton has three "Express" lifts that access green trails. They are fun greens. The one that's really just an access road is the one that goes over to the Sun Bowl Lodge. Plus there is a mid-mountain lodge.

You might just park at Sun Bowl and stay there.

I think I'd rather be at Stratton on MLK Day than anywhere in the Poconos. They will be able to start up snowmaking soon enough for the upcoming weekend.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snow dancing needed. We may see a significant snow storm this weekend.. that will make everyone in the East happy!

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So we have largely been skiing greens and blues in camelback but have ventured out to the greens in tremblant. They really enjoyed that. So it sounds like the green trails in Stratton will be a good fit for them too. I have a 6 and 9 year old :smile: we have ikon passes so Monday is the only day not blacked out this weekend. Forecast looks frigid!

marzNC

Angel Diva
So we have largely been skiing greens and blues in camelback but have ventured out to the greens in tremblant. They really enjoyed that. So it sounds like the green trails in Stratton will be a good fit for them too. I have a 6 and 9 year old :smile: we have ikon passes so Monday is the only day not blacked out this weekend. Forecast looks frigid!
In that case the greens at Stratton and the easy blues will be lots of fun. I happened to find my marked up trail map from my day at Stratton last March. If it's cold, then could use the gondola first thing in the morning to go to the top. The long green down is fun but take Drifter Link instead of Lower Wanderer, which is too flat. From the top, can take Interstate (blue) over to the mid-Mountain lodge. My guess is the Tamarack triple doesn't end up with that long a line, especially on a cold day, so could be good for a few runs before another break.

I would not bother to do the longer drive to Killington. What's great about Killington is that it's multiple peaks with a lot of acreage. But that makes it hard to figure out where to go in terms of where to park and where to ski on a busy day. Pico is a much better place on weekends for a beginner group. Have you seen the videos by the Alba family about Pico?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Based on the online map it looks like the gondola isn’t open? So it wound be the tamarack then over to it’s express to get to the top. For now I’ve cancelled hotel but will decide by Saturday whether to drive up on Sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly