• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Boston

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live on the north shore of Boston, and have been here 18 years. There are tons of things to do in the greater Boston metropolitan area. Lost of historical sites related to this being the birthplace of our independence, the home of American literaturary giants, the base for the whaling industry of Moby Dick fame.

And then there's the land itself. The topography is wild and rocky. Conservation land abounds, with woodland trails everywhere. This area is mountain biker heaven for those interested in technical rides. Or one can hike the single track trails.

Amesbury is a quaint little town up north of the city. Enjoy your time there.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I live in the Boston area, raised on the South Shore (aka The Irish Riviera). Despise driving to Boston. I will only drive to Logan. Definitely take the T everywhere you can. Traffic sucks all day.

The Harvard Museum of Natural History has the Glass Flowers -https://hmnh.harvard.edu/glass-flowers
If you like science - the Museum of Science is very cool. I'm still fascinated by the Van de Graf generator.
Sports fan? - Check the Bruins schedule - might expensive but hockey is fun.
Harbor Tour? - I know - November - Take the T's commuter boat to Hingham, have lunch in the Hingham Shipyard. I recommend The Beth or if you're a fan of any of the Wahlburgs - Wahlburgers (surprisingly good burgers) and Alma Nove. Return to Long Wharf or Rowes Wharf via commuter boat - cheapest harbor tour there is.

Have access to a car and free time? - South of Boston - New Bedford - Whaling Museum - awesome collection of scrimshaw. Walk a long the docks and look at the scallop and fishing fleets. North of Boston - Salem has the Peabody-Essex Museum is also awesome. Have you seen the movie "the Finest Hours"? Take a ride to Chatham Light and see the USCG station and Lighthouse and the famous Chatham Bars - not the drinking kind - the actual sand bars they crossed in the movie.

NE is a compact area and in about 2+ hrs of driving you can be in Western MA/NY border/VT, NH, ME, CT and RI. Mystic Seaport in Mystic CT and Newport RI are fun to visit, too. Mystic Aquarium has Beluga whales. A new sailing museum just opened in Newport. Visiting area Lighthouses is fun, too.

I had the pleasure of spending a week in Key West for work years ago - had a great time - was working on sinking the Vandenberg.

I know these suggestion are a bit scattershot. Hope you enjoy your trip. If you would like to meet up - PM me.
Awesome for you to be part of the vanderberg drop. That was a doozy

Jenny

Angel Diva
I've never been, but would like to see this museum: https://www.gardnermuseum.org/

We visited a friend in Worcester and saw this - https://www.worcesterart.org/collection/higgins-collection/

Also walked the freedom trail and saw Fanueil Hall. I don't have a lot of specific memories of either, except that we enjoyed the signage at the Bunker Hill displays. (Things like - The British threw up a redoubt, which repulsed the Colonial troops. Because we're immature, like that - yeah, I'd be repulsed, too.))

We were in town for the USA Gymnastics Olympic Trials back in 1996.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Gardner museum's interior courtyard is very worth a see.
ISABELLA STEWART GARDNER MUSEUM (Boston) - What to Know BEFORE You Go
The Gardner suffered the most notorious robbery ever from an American museum. Burglars cut paintings out of the frames. They took works by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Degas, Manet. Quite a haul. Detectives are still looking for these works. You'll see the frames because Isabella Steward Gardner's will making her home into a public museum says nothing can be changed.
Story Time With Peter: The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum Heist | Peter's  Big Adventure

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I grew up in New Bedford, MA (site of Whaling Museum in @liquidfeet’s post above) and have spent most of the subsequent 45 years living in/working in Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Cambridge. As others suggest, do not bother with a car for the weekend in Boston. Taxi, Uber, the “T”, watertaxi, walk!!! You will not be the only one in a down jacket. It can be blustery cold in November, but possibly brisk/nice. If down jacket isn’t waterproof, bring a raincoat to put over it. And hat and gloves! Like for skiing, there’s no bad weather…only bad clothes. The historic sidewalks are cobblestone or brick … no fancy shoes and no flip flops in November! Pick up your rental car as you are leaving town. Best option may be to go back out to airport for that as desks there are open 24/7.
Also, Walden Pond is not really on the way to Amesbury. And although there is historical significance, there not much to see or do other than a hike which prob isn’t that charming in Nov. Salem is more “on the way” and between House of Seven gables, witch “stuff” and Peabody Essex museum there’s lots to see and do in Salem, but you don’t really have very much time. Boston itself has history, culture, charm, great food options etc and the walkability is part of the charm, like European cities.
I endorse entirely @RoseSki post (#11) above.
The Liberty is pricey, but a very central location, historic and fascinating. The older lobby and restaurant portion was a jail until about 1990. Drop in for a beer (Clink) or a meal (Scampo) even if you don’t stay there. My DH says he can’t quite enjoy himself there thinking of the once imprisoned but I don’t have the same affliction. They have a dog night and fashion model night in the lobby bar, or at least they did pre covid. There’s a Wyndham nearby, less expensive. I’d choose waterfront/Faneuil hall area, example Marriott Long Wharfwhere Biogen Covid outbreak was, over Seaport as a more central base for excursions. Airport water taxi goes to Marriott long wharf I think. Back Bay is a great location too with a range of prices, none cheap though.
Would be cheaper to stay further out in Quincy, somerville, E. Boston, Brookline, Medford, Needham, but then much less convenient for tourism.

Definitely do part or all of Freedom Trail and/or Harbor Walk, and go to North end for pastry/dining, and visit USS constitution. If duck boats are running that late in the season do that, highly recommended…educational and entertaining. If weather is poor then shift to the museums. I agree with Harvard Peabody (take the T -Red line, very easy), Gardner, and the museum of fine arts (Green Line).
There’s so much to do and see and types of restaurants I recommend you spend a bit of time w TripAdvisor or similar, to prioritize…and then use us as a sounding board!

You’ll have to come back to Boston for Whaling Museum in New Bedford, maybe combine that with a loop thru Newport RI, or out to Martha’s Vineyard!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I highly recommend the Duck Tours too. I'd never done one until a few weeks ago at a company event and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Can't believe I waited so long. You get a lot of Historical snippets (ideas for more places to visit along the way), a comedic tour guide, and cover a lot of ground.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I highly recommend the Duck Tours too. I'd never done one until a few weeks ago at a company event and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Can't believe I waited so long. You get a lot of Historical snippets (ideas for more places to visit along the way), a comedic tour guide, and cover a lot of ground.
You cover some water too!!:smile:

brooksnow

Angel Diva
I know we want to visit some seaport areas due to being in the marine fabrication industry.
Ooh, what do you fabricate?

Some great recommendations already. I highly recommend the Freedom Trail for an overview of Boston's history. Stop off at the USS Constitution and add a walk along the waterfront. If you have an evening free during the training, Portsmouth is not far from Amesbury.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had the best steak I've ever had at Smith and Wollensky during my most recent visit, right outside the Seaport. Pricey, but so worth it, OMG so so good.. I can't wait to go back.

knolan12

Angel Diva
You're going to love Boston! My favorite hotel is The Godfrey, right in Downtown Crossing off the Freedom Trail. The Hilton on State Street is also good, small rooms but great location. The Copley Square Hotel is in Back Bay and again small rooms, but they used to give out a free glass of wine at 4 PM haha Bastille Kitchen in Fort Point is one of my absolute favorite restaurants and right between the Seaport and downtown. Can't go wrong with the North End and if you're into cocktails, Drink in the Seaport is a fun experience. Improv Asylum in the North End is a great night activity.

I'm echoing everyone to not bother with a car downtown, parking is super expensive and the downtown area is so compact, you're honestly better off walking than even taking the T (there's usually a 20+ min wait between trains on the weekend).

Check out The Boston Calendar website for everything going on that weekend. It's a great resource for events, both free and paid. The Mapparium in the Christian Science Center is a very cool stop as is the Gardener Museum.

Bundle up and enjoy your visit!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all of the recommendations!

@floridakeysskibum , November is at the end of lobster season, which means lobster rolls. I found the following in my online research. List of best lobster rolls near Gloucester and Rockport:

Also, if you are in that area, there's this:
Self-guided scenic Cape Ann driving tour via GPS app, $10, 25 miles, 1-2 hrs not including stops, https://actiontourguide.com/place/scenic-cape-ann-driving-tour-in-gloucester-and-rockport/

Last edited:

Matro

Angel Diva
Walden Pond is famous because of Thoreau. His cabin is gone, replaced by a cairn. There's a trail around the pond about a 2 mile easy walk. It's a nice pond.
The daily parking rate there is $5.00 per car and $35.00 membership per calendar year. It's free to pedestrians and bikers but access is limited during busy Summer days, (that is, park is closed to everyone when car park is full. One can only enter at certain times during day when they re-open).
View attachment 19004View attachment 19005

While you're in Concord, there are things to do. Emerson, Hawthorne, and the Alcotts lived there; it's not just a battle site. Louisa May Alcott's house, Orchard House, is fascinating to visit. They now require timed reservations for the guided tour.
I recently brought a visitor to the Concord Museum. I am a life long Bostonian, and had never been there. It was great! Re: places to stay: we have had family members stay at B&Bs in Brookline near Beacon St and the St Mary’s MBTA subway stop. It’s a great area because you can hop on the train or walk to Kenmore square

lisamamot

Angel Diva

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ladies, I will be attending some continuing education classes outside of Boston in mid November. I’m traveling with another classmate and we want to stay downtown the weekend before classes begin in amesbury.
Any recommendations on where to stay and what to do ?? We will be flying into Logan Friday night and have a car reserved. But would prefer to be within walking distance too ( in case we change our minds and pick up rental car just for the drive up to amesbury for classes when we need it)
I’ve never been to Boston
@floridakeysskibum how did your Boston visit go?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly