• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Boston

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva
Already lots of great info here. We just went to Boston for our honeymoon to see the red hot chili peppers play Fenway park. We loved Boston! We just wanted a “nice enough” hotel as we knew we’d barely be there, so went with the Revere. We thought the location was fantastic for walking everywhere and catching the T. The elevators are slow. Our room had a great view though. Have fun!!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cushions covers flooring etc for marine, outdoor furniture sunshades etc for outdoor environments im on Fb Julie Pertunen island canvas marathon fl
Wonderful! So saith the sailboat owner with a perpetually empty pocket due to said boat! Where are you going in Amesbury?

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same here.

Depends on the project.

I hope the weather is nice and you enjoy your trip and the class. Those Hood canvas classes look great.
Thank you, unfortunately they are retiring. I wanted to take their enclosure classes also in March but they have cancelled :(. I received most of my training from Northcoast marine specialties in Ohio. They teach fabric fitting on covers etc plastic patterning for upholstery. Well worth the investment to learn some tricks of the trade :smile:

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I grew up in New Bedford, MA (site of Whaling Museum in @liquidfeet’s post above) and have spent most of the subsequent 45 years living in/working in Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Cambridge. As others suggest, do not bother with a car for the weekend in Boston. Taxi, Uber, the “T”, watertaxi, walk!!! You will not be the only one in a down jacket. It can be blustery cold in November, but possibly brisk/nice. If down jacket isn’t waterproof, bring a raincoat to put over it. And hat and gloves! Like for skiing, there’s no bad weather…only bad clothes. The historic sidewalks are cobblestone or brick … no fancy shoes and no flip flops in November! Pick up your rental car as you are leaving town. Best option may be to go back out to airport for that as desks there are open 24/7.
Also, Walden Pond is not really on the way to Amesbury. And although there is historical significance, there not much to see or do other than a hike which prob isn’t that charming in Nov. Salem is more “on the way” and between House of Seven gables, witch “stuff” and Peabody Essex museum there’s lots to see and do in Salem, but you don’t really have very much time. Boston itself has history, culture, charm, great food options etc and the walkability is part of the charm, like European cities.
I endorse entirely @RoseSki post (#11) above.
The Liberty is pricey, but a very central location, historic and fascinating. The older lobby and restaurant portion was a jail until about 1990. Drop in for a beer (Clink) or a meal (Scampo) even if you don’t stay there. My DH says he can’t quite enjoy himself there thinking of the once imprisoned but I don’t have the same affliction. They have a dog night and fashion model night in the lobby bar, or at least they did pre covid. There’s a Wyndham nearby, less expensive. I’d choose waterfront/Faneuil hall area, example Marriott Long Wharfwhere Biogen Covid outbreak was, over Seaport as a more central base for excursions. Airport water taxi goes to Marriott long wharf I think. Back Bay is a great location too with a range of prices, none cheap though.
Would be cheaper to stay further out in Quincy, somerville, E. Boston, Brookline, Medford, Needham, but then much less convenient for tourism.

Definitely do part or all of Freedom Trail and/or Harbor Walk, and go to North end for pastry/dining, and visit USS constitution. If duck boats are running that late in the season do that, highly recommended…educational and entertaining. If weather is poor then shift to the museums. I agree with Harvard Peabody (take the T -Red line, very easy), Gardner, and the museum of fine arts (Green Line).
There’s so much to do and see and types of restaurants I recommend you spend a bit of time w TripAdvisor or similar, to prioritize…and then use us as a sounding board!

You’ll have to come back to Boston for Whaling Museum in New Bedford, maybe combine that with a loop thru Newport RI, or out to Martha’s Vineyard!
So I assume this little black t in a circle is one of the access areas to the t? Near the Marriott??

Attachments

• EDC9C3E8-0655-4368-AAE8-D6B879CFA82C.png
    EDC9C3E8-0655-4368-AAE8-D6B879CFA82C.png
    981.4 KB · Views: 11

marzNC

Angel Diva
So I assume this little black t in a circle is one of the access areas to the t?
Yes, that's the symbol for the T in Boston. The signage is pretty good these days.

There are apps that provide up-to-the-minute status for T trains. Makes it easy to tell when the next train is going to arrive. In general, in the central city there isn't that much need to worry about the schedule during the day because the trains run often enough.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I downloaded the MBTA Live and onTime MBTA apps. Played around with the former and it was helpful in scoping out what stops were near my AirBnB.

Unfortunately, Covid changed and delayed my Boston travel plans! D!@# virus.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So this weather may be an issue. We have a low building in the Caribbean and supposed to be maybe over key west Friday when I fly out. I may have to switch departing airports again and make a mad dash to MIA. Then when we arrive boston 60’s and rainy. By Sunday low 32 high 50. What are Bostonians wearing in this type of weather?
Remember I have extremes, summer wear and winter wear. Ugh

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....By Sunday low 32 high 50. What are Bostonians wearing in this type of weather?
Wear layers. Consider short sleeves under long sleeves with another layer on top. Maybe something to keep your neck warm (neck gaiter or buff) if you are prone to feeling cold. Maybe thin gloves. Neck gaiter and gloves is overdoing it, but you may need to overdo it for a bit if you get outside early, if the sun is not shining, and if the wind is blowing.

Be sure when you're away from your lodging that you can store what you take off in a bag that you're carrying. For that reason thin, packable layers are best.

I like packable down. It's warm and takes up zero space when you take it off. It's good for a vest or for a lightweight jacket. Both together is also good. A merino layer under the down is great since it's also warm but thin.

marzNC

Angel Diva
By Sunday low 32 high 50. What are Bostonians wearing in this type of weather?
Your winter wear could come in handy. The cold in Boston is a damp cold and it can be windy. I'll be bringing my "city ski jacket" that is essentially as warm as my ski jackets but isn't sealed for wind or water when I in Boston for Snowbound. Got it at a Boston-area thrift shop for $10. I always want a warm hat for walking around downtown after mid-October.

At the same time, it can be very warm indoors. Hence the need for layering.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna