• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Boston

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread is making me nostalgic for Boston! We lived in Newton for 7 years. I totally agree with the recommendation not to bother with a car. Besides the maze of cow-path, 1 way streets, there is also the underground Big Dig that has confused my GPS on more than one occasion.

You've already gotten lots of great suggestions. If you really like museums, the MFA is near the Gardener and is a family favorite. (Have never done the Gardener actually, nor a Duck Tour, nor Eataly... guess it's time for a visit.)

I hope you're weathering the current storm!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm in central MA and we have a little yellow here and there, but nowhere near peak where I am anyway.
Point I was trying to make was that @VickiK may be in luck given the timing of her trip to Boston, which is in mid-October. Pittsfield and North Adams are in the Berkshires near Mt. Greylock. The season ends at Mt. Greylock State Park in early October. By mid-Oct the top of the mountain can be cold with few leaves are left, but a few hundred feet lower is a different story. Can still drive up but the lodge is closed and they are no longer asking for parking fees.

From summit of Mt. Greylock, Oct. 25, 2016
Greylock Oct 25 2016 - 1.jpeg

MissySki

Angel Diva
Point I was trying to make was that @VickiK may be in luck given the timing of her trip to Boston, which is in mid-October. Pittsfield and North Adams are in the Berkshires near Mt. Greylock. The season ends at Mt. Greylock State Park in early October. By mid-Oct the top of the mountain can be cold with few leaves are left, but a few hundred feet lower is a different story. Can still drive up but the lodge is closed and they are no longer asking for parking fees.

From summit of Mt. Greylock, Oct. 25, 2016
View attachment 19291
Ahh I was going by the article title saying Peak will start Friday.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Ahh I was going by the article title saying Peak will start Friday.
Peak has more or less arrived in N VT — hard to capture how vibrant it is on an iPhone camera, but it’s looking good this year!
DD74516E-38D7-43E0-A027-76A88A2209FD.jpeg

Going to drive to Quincy MA this weekend to see the nephew for a hot second and pick up my mom so she can leaf peep in Vermont. We’re going to try to get back in time to catch a chairlift ride at Mad River Glen on Sunday. But honestly the leaves anywhere in New England are beautiful IMO.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Peak has more or less arrived in N VT — hard to capture how vibrant it is on an iPhone camera, but it’s looking good this year!
View attachment 19292

Going to drive to Quincy MA this weekend to see the nephew for a hot second and pick up my mom so she can leaf peep in Vermont. We’re going to try to get back in time to catch a chairlift ride at Mad River Glen on Sunday. But honestly the leaves anywhere in New England are beautiful IMO.

It’s blah down here currently, but good point that Northern New England is a different world on fall foliage timing. :smile: Always nice to drive around in the fall, can’t wait until there is more to see down my way!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It’s blah down here currently, but good point that Northern New England is a different world on fall foliage timing. :smile: Always nice to drive around in the fall, can’t wait until there is more to see down my way!
And even differences in VT... it may be peak near the mountains but here near the lake I feel like it's just getting started!

Also, I totally think we hijacked this Boston visit thread :tongue:

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you all for suggestions. I will cancel the car for Boston weekend and then retrieve a rental when we go up to amesbury for canvas training classes. I would definitely get lost in Boston with one way streets and multiple bridge crossings. So I’ll try to learn public transit. Luckily I won’t be alone, and Cyndi isn’t afraid to ask strangers how to do anything. ( love her outgoing personality)

We were blessed by hurricane Ian even though it did wobble east and we got more than expected. Wild chickens arrived a couple days before and roosted in our mahogany tree that 1/2 came down during the storm and flood waters came within 1.5’ of entering the garage. (All wild chickens survived and have moved on down to street) We ended up moving cars out of garage and rv out of driveway @9:30 when the winds picked up and the street was flooding. Stressful couple of days for sure. We weren’t sure if the following day high tide would bring more flooding, but it did not.

There were so many people who stayed in fort Myers sanibel and captiva islands thinking they were out of the path, until the 11pm update. We are watching the recovery(which will take a long time to rebuild infrastructure) and grateful it wasn’t us again, but saddened because it was friends and loved ones who moved out of the keys after Irma, or family who lives up there. So far I have heard from almost everyone I know in the area. Cell service is spotty, power is being restored but water and sewer take time due to continued flooding. I75 was shut down for 12 miles @north port yesterday. Lots of aid has come in with water and food and supplies, but it’s still a waiting game for all that rain and storm water to recede. Starlink is providing several receivers and will have a 13 mile radius with the capability to have 1000 users on at once…the recovery speed in many areas has been unbelievable.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
it occurred to me as I was driving down to Boston yesterday that with the recent drought, it’s possible that the fall colors will be muted this season — hopefully that’s not the case for you @VickiK. It’s really pretty to walk around the historic brownstones and urban parks among the colorful leafy canopies.

it’ll be too late for foliage by the time @floridakeysskibum visits but hope you have a nice trip nonetheless and I’m glad your community is on the road to recovery!! Stay safe!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My trip plans are settling in and it's very exciting. I'm hoping for the best re: fall foliage colors, but it'll be fun regardless. A couple of questions:
Is staying in Somerville near Union Square a safe choice and also convenient to get to public transport for a return to Logan? How about Everett?
These days the general rule is to arrive 2 hrs before domestic flights. Do you think there is some wiggle room on that 2 hrs if I don't have check-in luggage?
Thank you!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd choose staying in Somerville over Everett. More restaurants, etc. to walk to. For public transit it would be the green line from Union Square to the blue line airport stop. There used to be shuttles to the airport from there, but I think now they have regular buses instead. Looking at google maps, it is showing about 35 minutes from end to end. Without check in you should be ok with less than 2 hours, but it really depends on the security lines and what time your flight is.

marzNC

Angel Diva
These days the general rule is to arrive 2 hrs before domestic flights. Do you think there is some wiggle room on that 2 hrs if I don't have check-in luggage?
My recent airport experience in Boston was 2016-19 when my daughter was in school there. It's a confusing airport because there are 4 terminals that are connected but pretty spread out. Although taking the T is actually less confusing than driving. I always allowed plenty of time. Even when I was going to the airport during a relatively quiet time.

When I went to Boston for business trips in the 1980s and 1990s, even though taxi fare would be covered I still preferred to take the T because then I didn't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic. Most routes to the airport require going through a tunnel.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I agree, Somerville is better than Everett both for transit to airport and for local restaurants, cafes etc. it is critical to know which terminal you are departing from ABCD or E and get off bus at correct one. With no luggage to check, arriving 90min prior to departure is OK, certainly fine if you have TSA pre check.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This was a case of 'you snooze you lose'. While I was asking, the Somerville options were booked, so I'm happy to have booked the Everett one!

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ooh, what do you fabricate?

Some great recommendations already. I highly recommend the Freedom Trail for an overview of Boston's history. Stop off at the USS Constitution and add a walk along the waterfront. If you have an evening free during the training, Portsmouth is not far from Amesbury.
Cushions covers flooring etc for marine, outdoor furniture sunshades etc for outdoor environments im on Fb Julie Pertunen island canvas marathon fl

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly