• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Boston

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Bring winter jacket (or raincoat/shell over warm wool, down or fleece jacket), hat, scarf, gloves, and wear shoes for wet conditions. Wear whatever you want underneath! Bostonians / New Englanders are NOT fashionistas compared to let’s say New Yorkers, Florida and California girls. You want to be warm and dry when you are outside, esp if you plan to enjoy the walkability of our city.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes layering is smart, I was just wondering more along the lines of puffer jacket weight, do you guys switch to a heavy shoe vs tennis or walking shoes? I have a couple days to pack or buy quickly online. Most of my ski jackets are insulated well. And I wear two layers when skiing. I have vests but rarely use them…so before I pack every single winter clothing item, I figured I might ask here

good idea for a hat, light gloves ( liners) and a scarf. Believe it or not, I do not own a rain jacket, but I do have a shell from black diamond that may work…

it’s been so long since I’ve been in the inbetween weather that I’ve just forgotten!!

i think if weather is ok, we will be walking @copley square and maybe some freedom trail stops on sat. I think it will be 50/60’s but rainy that day. I definitely want to have a beer in “cheers”.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you walk Boston, wear what you can walk in for the longest. Boston is great for walking, and you are likely to walk, walk, walk, and get tired or wet or cold or hot doing so.

Good arch support is a must (for me), and all my "tennis shoes" are trail runners with Goretex. So I never think about water getting into my shoes. 50/50 forecast for rain might mean rain, so a packable down light-weight jacket won't be good unless you have a shell on top.

My experience is that any forecast 5 days out for rain usually either dissipates entirely or moves farther away in time as the days go by. So I plan on the forecast changing in one of those opposing directions.

When I first moved here I was shocked at how volatile the forecasts were. They were always changing. Watching the evening news weather forecast was actually fun and I looked foreward to it. I lived in St. Louis before this, where it was the opposite. I could walk out into my front yard and look left to see what the weather was going to do every day. Not so here.

Are you happier being hot rather than cold? Knowing which makes you happier will help you decide what to bring for your outer layer.

Agree about the fashionista thing. Just wear what's comfy.

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Lightweight puffer and waterproof shell, hat and gloves over “regular clothes” you’ll be fine if walking. Ideally choose shoes that can get wet. Agree…forecasts are unreliable. No risk of frostbite!

lisamamot

Angel Diva
New England weather is crazy - we rule the 20-30 degree temp swing from day to day, lol. You could have highs in the 70s one day, 50s the next.

Layers are your friend - I would pack a shell/rain jacket, a vest (wool, quilted, or fleece), and a lightweight quilted synthetic jacket (something like the Patagonia Nano).

For example, I headed out the door today to hike in Maine and had put on leggings and a long sleeve top....did a u-turn and put on a Smartwool tank instead. It was something like 72 degrees - GAH - I could have easily been in shorts. Another week and I may be in gloves and a hat.

Will you still be here for the Ski and Snowboard Expo? Either way, I hope you have a fantastic visit!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna