• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Boston

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ladies, I will be attending some continuing education classes outside of Boston in mid November. I’m traveling with another classmate and we want to stay downtown the weekend before classes begin in amesbury.
Any recommendations on where to stay and what to do ?? We will be flying into Logan Friday night and have a car reserved. But would prefer to be within walking distance too ( in case we change our minds and pick up rental car just for the drive up to amesbury for classes when we need it)
I’ve never been to Boston

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What are you interested in doing that weekend? Much of Boston is walkable, and it has an extensive public transportation system (subways). There are commuter rails out to the burbs in all directions.

Food?
Museums? Harvard's Museum of Natural History is a totally cool one if you like dinosaur bones.
The art gallery scene?
Ivy League stuff like Harvard, MIT, Cambridge?
Shows/theater?
Walking in the old neighborhoods in the city Back Bay, Beacon Hill?
Duck boat tour? Boston Public Garden?
History - sightseeing stuff - since this is, well, Boston? Lost of colonial stuff, revolutionary stuff, and the USS Constitution (the ship)
Shopping?
Hiking?
Unfortunately mid-November is normally a bit early for skiing and snowshoeing.

Oh, and when you say "within walking distance" you mean walking distance of what?

Last edited:

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd be really interested in Boston hotel recommendations too. I'll have a car too, for most if not all of the time, but am exploring public transportation options. Time outside vs inside will depend on the weather. Agenda so far:

Boston area - Freedom Trail tour, Boston Public Library, day trip to Salem (ferry or public transport, North End, maybe day trip to Cambridge ("Tour de Cambridge" bike tour?). That's 3 days already, but I'd like to explore further out by car. As usual, I need to rein in my scope and be judicious.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We will be flying into Logan Friday night and have a car reserved. But would prefer to be within walking distance too ( in case we change our minds and pick up rental car just for the drive up to amesbury for classes when we need it)
Allow plenty of time when picking up a rental car at Logan. Takes 10-15 minutes just to catch the shuttle bus to get to the car rental center. Pay very close attention to the signs when driving away from the airport.

Boston is one of the most confusing cities to drive around. Especially when there is an intersection with involving more than two roads. There are also quite a few 2-lane circles.

When I've stayed in the city, I tended to stay in hotels that are close to a major T-line instead of right in the city center. Usually near a Red Line T station. I went to prep school in Boston and learned to get around the city using the T then. Could easily take the train into Cambridge or Boston for a day in the city.

The Best Western Adams Inn in Quincy has an airport shuttle. It's next to a Red Line T station. Quite pretty views because it's right on the river.

My husband stayed at the DoubleTree by Hilton near the JFK/UMass T station for a professional conference a while back.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Boston area - Freedom Trail tour, Boston Public Library, day trip to Salem (ferry or public transport, North End, maybe day trip to Cambridge ("Tour de Cambridge" bike tour?). That's 3 days already, but I'd like to explore further out by car. As usual, I need to rein in my scope and be judicious.
I'm biased, but a drive out to Concord to see Walden Pond and the Minute Man National Historical Park could be worth the effort if the weather is nice. There are houses that may be open for Concord authors such as Alcott, Emerson, and Thoreau.

I went to high school at Concord Academy long ago. Would sometimes ride my bike out to Walden pond for some peace and quiet on weekends during my senior year. The English class about Concord Authors was one of the few English courses I really enjoyed.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I would recommend waiting to pick up the car until you need to get out of the city, because this meme has so much truth to it:

D9037DB4-257B-4DCD-BDA2-085AFFA1D649.jpeg

Public transportation and Taxi/Uber/Lyfts can get you where ever you need to go in the city.

I’ll leave specific Boston recommendations to others, as when I go into Boston it’s generally only for sports, music, or other events. I will give a recommendation to check out Newburyport when you’re in Amesbury. Assuming you’ll be eating out, Newburyport is a really cute, classic New England port town with a ton of good restaurants. And if you feel like traveling up to Portsmouth, NH (about 25-30 minutes from Amesbury), I can give out many specific restaurant recommendations.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ah, that map scares me!! I have lived on an island with only one way in and out for far too many years!!
My travel mate and I just don’t have a clue what to do. There is so much to do to pack into a weekend. Our classes are Monday/Tuesday and we fly back home to florida on Wednesday the 16th …so we will miss the snowbound expo. ( she’s not a skier)
I guess the big thing would be weather and walk ability, but the history in Boston is a major attraction
Walden pond would be a great stop. And I know we want to visit some seaport areas due to being in the marine fabrication industry.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ah, that map scares me!! I have lived on an island with only one way in and out for far too many years!!
My travel mate and I just don’t have a clue what to do. There is so much to do to pack into a weekend. Our classes are Monday/Tuesday and we fly back home to florida on Wednesday the 16th …so we will miss the snowbound expo. ( she’s not a skier)
I guess the big thing would be weather and walk ability, but the history in Boston is a major attraction
Walden pond would be a great stop. And I know we want to visit some seaport areas due to being in the marine fabrication industry.
Boston is an old city that wasn't laid out with a grid like Manhattan (I grew up in Manhattan.). There are lots of bridges that become bottlenecks when traffic is heavy. Streets are narrow. When I went to Boston for work trips back in the 1990s, I much preferred to take the T back to the airport instead of being in a taxi stuck in traffic in a tunnel.

Mid-November could be pretty cool for walking around downtown. The high on Nov. 14, 2021 was 50 degrees. The wind can feel quite cold because of the humidity. I did the Freedom Trail with my BIL in November several years ago. It felt cold in the shade. Going from the historical area near the Old North Church to the theater district isn't far at all. It can be confusing because the streets curve a lot. Even worse driving because some roads are one-way.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
--For maritime history, visit the USS Constitution and the museum associated with it.
--Consider a Duck Boat tour. Look it up. You won't believe what a duck boat is.
--If you don't want a group tour like that, you can walk the Freedom Trail, a self-guided 2.5 mile walk around the old part of town to visit important historic sites from the revolutionary war. You can find Paul Revere's grave and go in the Old North Church (of "one if by land two if by sea" fame).
--Eat authentic Italian food in Boston's North End. Be sure to find a pastry shop and order cannolis fresh-made in front of you. Eat them right then when they are fresh. Indescribably delicious.
--For interesting architecture, Boston Public Library is quite a send. Also its great fun to walk the cobblestone streets of Beacon Hill. I think it's on the Freedom Trail.
--Boston is an atypical American city. It has old world charms. Enjoy.
--Dress warm. It could be cold and windy.

Last edited:

RoseSki

Certified Ski Diva
I lived in Boston for 5 years in the late oughts, so not entirely up to date on hotels, but for unbeatable central location, if the budget allows, the Liberty (former jail) is fun and well-located just off the Red Line within an easy walk to other T lines (https://libertyhotel.com/). Copley/Back Bay area hotels are also well-located - the Fairmont Copley Plaza (https://www.fairmont.com/copley-plaza-boston/) and the Loews (https://www.loewshotels.com/boston-hotel) both give good access to Back Bay and Beacon Hill historical sites. The Seaport isn't as convenient, but I recall a nice stay at the Seaport Hotel for a wedding at one point (https://www.seaportboston.com/).

I would definitely not recommend a car while in Boston proper. One of my favorite Bostonian driving "directions", not least because eventually it was my response to people, too, is "oh, you can't get there from here". They mean it :smile:. The T is a really easy system when walking isn't reasonable, and otherwise Uber probably would be best.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, I was afraid a car would be a problem in downtown Boston. So I will learn public transit. I grew up in the suburbs of outermost Detroit on a dirt road winding around the billions of lakes in Michigan, then later moved to the florida keys, so I’ve always had my own car since 16. So this will surely be an adventure/culture shock for me. I will be more educated on how public transit works after this trip. My travel buddy did mention not to bother with a cad until we need it, so I will change that reservation to Sunday -Wednesday instead.
thank you for the info
I will pass this on to her and we can decide soon.
and yes I will probably be the only person with a ski jacket/parka on in Boston due to my thin blood. Those menopause hot flashes will really come in handy for outdoor Boston in November. Haha. I have flip flops or snow boots ( some old tennis shoes that are not warm at all)

marzNC

Angel Diva
So I will learn public transit.
Growing up in New York City, public transport was normal. The signage for the Boston public transport is much better now than back in the 1970s. Also nicer as a pedestrian after the Big Dig got rid of the elevated highway right in the old part of the city.

Uber/Lyft work reasonably well at Logan. Just need to figure out exactly what lane they are allowed to pick up passengers.

If you decide to stay in the city proper, looks like the Back Bay Express from Logan will be in operation again in the fall. $3 with free return to Logan.

When I was staying in the city and not driving, I usually took the T Blue Line to start with after arriving at Logan, which goes to the airport. Need to take a shuttle bus from anyone of the terminals to the T station. That's free and runs regularly all the time.

The Silver Line buses are free to South Station where it's easy to transfer to the T.

This route is your best option to:
  • Downtown Boston
  • South Station
  • The Seaport District
  • Cambridge
  • Harvard University
  • Massachusetts General Hospital
  • MIT
Service to Boston Logan: Take the MBTA Red Line or Commuter Rail to South Station and transfer to the Silver Line Route SL1. The Silver Line SL1 stops at all terminals.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have to get a car. have a full tank of gas-with all the one way streets I think I've driven in circles too many times to list. think I'd Uber or take Lyft if go back vs trying to drive and park to see sites.
Don't forget to ask the hotel if parking is free! Seems to me there is very little parking in bean town. I drove friend back to college years ago and it was 50/night yrs ago! And the people park bumper to bumper so you need to be expert at parallel parking IF you find a spot on the street. Not to worry the public transport is easy peasy- I've stayed in town and also just outside next to a T-station- i'd have to look on map where I was- one place was by the original Cheers and near college and hospital.

Don't miss Faneuil hall-on the freedom trail https://faneuilhallmarketplace.com/ TONS Of Food choices and shops. Quincy market is close to there too. Walking the Freedom trail is really cool. we climbed the bunker hill monument did USS Constitution then walked to the N Church across the Charles River bridge at almost sunset- was very cool. all that @liquidfeet mentioned are great suggestions. lol wait til you see the Duck boats out and about- I never rode one. Mikes pastry shop is one of my must stops in the N End- and lunch or dinner at one of the very good Itailian restaurants. N End is where I'd live if i had to go back to a city. It's a great city- maybe there will be music at the 'clam shell'. take good waling shoes!

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks girls, you all are a wealth of information. Looks like we can hit Walden pond on the way to or back from amesbury
Considering I have a huge suv, and renting a small car, Parallel parking may be a breeze. Trying to get this tank into parallel parking on key west streets is always a challenge. My previous car had a parallel parking button, that I never used. That would have been interesting.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Walden Pond is famous because of Thoreau. His cabin is gone, replaced by a cairn. There's a trail around the pond about a 2 mile easy walk. It's a nice pond.
The daily parking rate there is $5.00 per car and $35.00 membership per calendar year. It's free to pedestrians and bikers but access is limited during busy Summer days, (that is, park is closed to everyone when car park is full. One can only enter at certain times during day when they re-open).
Sacred moment: Visit to Walden Pond stirs wonderWalden Has Always Been For Everyone. Don't Make Swimming Across It A Crime  | Cognoscenti

While you're in Concord, there are things to do. Emerson, Hawthorne, and the Alcotts lived there; it's not just a battle site. Louisa May Alcott's house, Orchard House, is fascinating to visit. They now require timed reservations for the guided tour.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you interested in Salem MA? Go see the House of Seven Gables. Now that's a fine tour to do.
https://www.salem.org/listing/house-of-seven-gables/

Salem makes money by marketing all things Witchcraft. While you are in Salem, if you like, you can just shop till you drop. If that's your thing.

And since you mentioned an interest in seaport history, the biggie is the Salem Maritime National Historic Site. It's big.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
I live in the Boston area, raised on the South Shore (aka The Irish Riviera). Despise driving to Boston. I will only drive to Logan. Definitely take the T everywhere you can. Traffic sucks all day.

The Harvard Museum of Natural History has the Glass Flowers -https://hmnh.harvard.edu/glass-flowers
If you like science - the Museum of Science is very cool. I'm still fascinated by the Van de Graf generator.
Sports fan? - Check the Bruins schedule - might expensive but hockey is fun.
Harbor Tour? - I know - November - Take the T's commuter boat to Hingham, have lunch in the Hingham Shipyard. I recommend The Beth or if you're a fan of any of the Wahlburgs - Wahlburgers (surprisingly good burgers) and Alma Nove. Return to Long Wharf or Rowes Wharf via commuter boat - cheapest harbor tour there is.

Have access to a car and free time? - South of Boston - New Bedford - Whaling Museum - awesome collection of scrimshaw. Walk a long the docks and look at the scallop and fishing fleets. North of Boston - Salem has the Peabody-Essex Museum is also awesome. Have you seen the movie "the Finest Hours"? Take a ride to Chatham Light and see the USCG station and Lighthouse and the famous Chatham Bars - not the drinking kind - the actual sand bars they crossed in the movie.

NE is a compact area and in about 2+ hrs of driving you can be in Western MA/NY border/VT, NH, ME, CT and RI. Mystic Seaport in Mystic CT and Newport RI are fun to visit, too. Mystic Aquarium has Beluga whales. A new sailing museum just opened in Newport. Visiting area Lighthouses is fun, too.

I had the pleasure of spending a week in Key West for work years ago - had a great time - was working on sinking the Vandenberg.

I know these suggestion are a bit scattershot. Hope you enjoy your trip. If you would like to meet up - PM me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna