• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Visiting Alta/Snowbird in early September -- easy hikes/walks?

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
I'm planning a three-generations road trip (taking along my parents and my kids) from Salt Lake City to Phoenix (through Moab, Grand Canyon, and Sedona). The first stop is Alta/Snowbird (to see the Wasatch mountains before heading to desert -- especially as we skied there so many times but never visited in the summer).

I would really appreciate some advice from divas on some easy short hikes and meadows walks around Alta/Snowbird to do in early September. Ideally, we'd like to spend a couple of hours walking and enjoying the views -- we won't have too much time and don't need any special destination, but would like to experience open meadows and mountain views. (A scenic drive or taking pictures from the parking lot won't be enough though).

My kids are old enough (10 and 12) and experienced hikers, Grandpa is very fit for his age and can definitely do easy/moderate hikes. My mom can walk on a flat dirt path or nature preserve trail for 1-2 miles, but she can only handle very minimal elevation gain and definitely cannot do anything that qualifies as hiking. I looked at the summer hiking map on Alta's website, it looks like the Cecret lake trail would be great for everyone but my mom won't be able to make it, it looks a bit steep approaching the lake. But the first part of the trail seems fairly flat, correct? (Maybe she can hang around there while others go the lake.) It might also be enough to walk some other short paths in Albion basin, maybe just go to Alf's, etc. Any short path would do as long as it's in the meadows, not completely in the woods, and has views. Are there any trails or anything in particular that I should be aware of? Or is everything really too hard for a non-hiker? (From skiing I remember that there's a pretty flat area, but of course the terrain feels pretty different on skis.) I'm looking at the map here: https://media.alta.com/resources/Maps/Alta-Summer-brochure_Web_2018.pdf

Perhaps the most important question: how bad is the parking situation in Albion basin? Would I be able to park on a Friday morning (Sept 7), say if I get there around 9am? If not, what time would get me a spot?

My first idea was to go to Snowbird, taking the tram up, walking on the ridge a bit and then to Peruvian, and taking the Peruvian down. I don't even mind paying the tram tickets ($$$!) but the tram doesn't open until 11, and we'd like to start much earlier. Also would like to avoid all those roller coaster or whatever other entertainment Snowbird has. We are more interested in seeing the mountains than seeing a resort...so it looks like Alta would be much nicer. Or should I just bite the bullet and plan for the Snowbird tram?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Have never been to Alta during the summer, but I know that this summer the Sunnyside lift is running for hikers for the first time. Only thru Sept. 3. There is some sort of bus service to Albion but I don't know the details off hand.

The view from the top of the Albion lift (parallel to Sunnyside) should be pretty impressive during the summer. Just a short walk from the top of Sunnyside. The pitch of the the Albion road is easy (a green during the winter).

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 11.09.55 PM.png

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you! Yes, I've already found the info on Alta's website. Sunnyside lift would be great but we'll be there after Sept 3 (and it doesn't run on weekdays anyway). My hope is to drive up the Albion road to where the top of Albion lift is (there's no way my mom could hike up from Albion base) and to walk around there.

Someone please tell me about the parking -- would it be realistic on a Friday morning?

Sorry for the very specific questions that only locals could answer, but hopefully there are a few Alta locals here? :wave:

marzNC

Angel Diva

altagirl

Staff member
I do hike up there a good bit, but am struggling to think of anything that's reasonably flat for a good bit. If you drive up to the campground and hike from there, there is a little bit of flat, and at least spots where she could relax while you hike? The hike up to Cecret lake is relatively steep/relatively high elevation - it's a very well worn path though. You could just walk between the bases at Alta with her - that's the only truly flat thing I can think of - along the rope tow at the base? Last time I was up there was on a Friday morning. We were doing bird surveys and got a ride from Alta staff up to the top of the lifts and hiked up from there and then down through Cecret lake and to the bottom. By the time we were at Cecret lake at about 9:30am it was busy, and getting towards the bottom of the mountain it was kind of a madhouse - I saw literally hundreds of people on the trails, and it wasn't even a weekend. You do see a lot of parents with toddlers out on the trails, especially near the campground or towards the bottom. But you're right, once school starts, you'd think it would be less crowded. Hah, honestly, I tend to go up there to start hiking before the sun rises, or later in the evening, but it probably is better once the kids are back in school.

hamster on skis

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of information I wanted. We might actually be able to start pretty early on the East coast jetlag :smile:

@altagirl -- I saw your photos from Alta hikes in another thread, they are so beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly