• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Videos of my skiing - improvements from one year of skiing and multiple lessons

marzNC

Angel Diva
Upper fascination/hubers has always been a challenging run to me because it is steep, I've only got down it a couple of times without stopping at least once on the way down. I do it every single run anyway because I hate cat tracks just THAT much. So it's kinda easier to me (and easier on my knees!!!!!!!) than doing Morning Glory.
Nothing wrong with stopping to reset.

How long does it take from top to bottom? At my home mountain, a run from the top on the wide blue or the longer black run takes no more than five minutes. That's for an intermediate making a couple stops along the way.

For the usual route, are you doing the same part of the trail most of the time? Mostly medium turns?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
....I tried to show him pivot slips (a drill which an instructor showed me and is really tough for me.....

While I'm at it - any tips for those? I lack video unfortunately but I can't seem to do them without going into a huge wedge. My instructor said I should be pivoting on the flats of my skis but they're tricky and the inside ski really doesn't want to play along!

Pivot slips are truly difficult. So many things need to work right at the same time. You are not alone in having trouble getting them to work.

Try pivot slips at home on the kitchen floor with socks on. The socks on that floor will be slippery. You'll need a tall mirror propped against a wall so you can see what you are doing from the feet up.

Stand there looking at the mirror, with feet, torso (hips/pelvis up to and including shoulders), and your face pointing at it. You are now "square" to the mirror. Without changing the way your torso and face are pointing, balance on your heels and rotate your toes to point to the left as far as you can. The left foot will be ahead of the right foot, and they will be in line with each other. Make sure they are pointing in exactly the same direction, parallel to each other. Don't fall over! Hang onto the kitchen counter to steady yourself.

You won't be able to get your feet to point all the way to the side, but that's OK. Pay particular attention to not rotating the hips/pelvis. That's the important part. Practice in both directions, not rotating your hips/pelvis.

There's a better way of not falling over than holding onto the counter. As you stand on your heels and rotate your toes to point to the left, slide the left foot back a little. You'll need to do this on snow so the skis won't bump into each other. That foot that you move back a little should end up ahead of the other one just like it did before, and that that's good. Look into the mirror and see how your feet stay the same distance apart as you rotate them and as you move that one back a little.

If you rotated your feet to point to the left, it's the left foot that will need to move back a little. And it's the left foot that ends up being ahead of the right foot. Practice this, looking into the mirror, over and over, rotating your toes to point in both directions. Notice whatever other things you'll need to do to keep you pelvis/hips and shoulders pointing at the mirror. Close your eyes and practice it. Open them and practice it. Keep that pelvis from rotating! Move that left foot back a little, and notice that it ends up a bit ahead.

Then practice in the other direction. Then practice rotating from left to right to left to right. Each time you'll need to move one foot back a little to avoid falling over, and if you had skis on you'd need to move that foot back to keep the skis from bumping into each other. And you'll need to allow that foot to be ahead of the other, just like when you first did this lining the feet up and holding onto the counter.

This is the pivot slip movement pattern. Rotate, while moving one foot back a little. On the hill the foot that goes back a little is the one that ends up being uphill of the other one. moving one foot back uphill, but keeping it ahead, is very important. Left foot back for pointing left, right foot back for pointing right.

Go out and try this on the hill, with boots on but not skis. Then try it with skis on, starting with a sideslip.

Here's the weird part. Work on your pivot slips on a blue pitch rather than the bunny slope; gravity will be your friend and make it easier. It's real hard to learn pivot slips on low pitch terrain. Also, the harder the snow, the easier pivot slips are. You won't get your skis stuck in the snow, tripping yourself up. Expect that it will take you two seasons of practice on snow to learn to do good pivot slips. When you can do them straight down the hill without left-right travel and with the pelvis/hips facing downhill, you'll have so many other things under control that a world of new skiing will be yours.

Note, you'll be able to do these on a blue pitch waaay before you'll ever be able to do them on the bunny slope.

Last edited:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nothing wrong with stopping to reset.

How long does it take from top to bottom? At my home mountain, a run from the top on the wide blue or the longer black run takes no more than five minutes. That's for an intermediate making a couple stops along the way.

For the usual route, are you doing the same part of the trail most of the time? Mostly medium turns?
That's true, skiing is tough brain work as well as leg work and I often need to stop to sort out what all my limbs are doing.

I kinda dawdle at the breaks between runs a bit, it could probably be done in 5 minutes top to bottom but I stretch it out a little by resting at the obvious standing-around zones. According to some internet chairlift source, the elevation of the summit lift is 500 metres.

The first part of it tends to be the same each time. I am most challenged by the red run at the top, where my turns are just whatever I need to get down upright (often very skidded hah), then there's a wide cruisy blue where I try to get some nice turns in, then another short steep bit, then the rest is slightly undulating blue terrain. I get the most variety near the base of the mountain because there are areas where I can either go around or go over, have a lot of space to play with turn width and size, etc.

This is part of the blue run Broadway showing a bit you can go over or around:

broadway.jpg

Skiing down from the summit (red run). I'm actually in this photo about to ski down, but very small (all in teal/blue). I swear this run looks steeper when you're on it than it does from the side ;)

top of upper fasc.jpg

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pivot slips are truly difficult. So many things need to work right at the same time. You are not alone in having trouble getting them to work.

That's good to hear, I will just keep working on them then! Of course, people who can do them well make them look very easy :smile:

Thanks again for the great advice and instruction; I can try the off-snow exercises tonight then see how they are on the snow tomorrow. It looks like it'll be another sunny weekend at the mountain. If I'm really lucky I might be able to get a video of them too...

newboots

Angel Diva
@liquidfeet - I need to print out all your instructions, laminate them, and affix them to the inside of my jacket, where I can refer to them on the mountain.

I'm always impressed!

newboots

Angel Diva
Skiing down from the summit (red run). I'm actually in this photo about to ski down, but very small (all in teal/blue). I swear this run looks steeper when you're on it than it does from the side ;)

View attachment 13242

It looks plenty steep to me! and they always look less steep in photos. I took a picture of my first black run at Belleayre, and was so disappointed! In the photo it could have been a beginner trail!

MissySki

Angel Diva
It looks plenty steep to me! and they always look less steep in photos. I took a picture of my first black run at Belleayre, and was so disappointed! In the photo it could have been a beginner trail!

I hate that! Same with mountain vista shots never looking as majestic as I'd like.. I find that steep runs with bumps seem to give more of a sense for steepness with the added definition. Also if it's steep (and safe) and you're willing to plop down somewhere along the run, you can get a better sense of the steepness in your shot if you get closer to the snow with your camera looking up. OR if you frame the shot with trees on the edges of the trail, that can give a good sense of it too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also if it's steep (and safe) and you're willing to plop down somewhere along the run, you can get a better sense of the steepness in your shot if you get closer to the snow with your camera looking up. OR if you frame the shot with trees on the edges of the trail, that can give a good sense of it too.

Does these look steep? I'm sitting down for all of them. Was skiing solo at Alta for the send and third. When I started skiing regularly around 2008, I never imagined that I would improve enough to enjoy steep slopes like these runs. Lessons and mileage make a difference but it takes a few years.

The woman in the first pic is a random local at Bachelor. We hadn't been out this traverse before. I stayed high and Bill is below. I opted to follow her over the little ridge to the left. Turned out the slope over there was less steep, so was worth being adventurous.

Bachelor 06May2018 - 5.jpg
Alta 01Apr2016  - 3.jpg
Alta snow plus Supreme Spring 2018 - 7.jpg

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks again for the great advice and instruction; I can try the off-snow exercises tonight then see how they are on the snow tomorrow. It looks like it'll be another sunny weekend at the mountain. If I'm really lucky I might be able to get a video of them too...
How was the skiing last weekend?

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does these look steep? I'm sitting down for all of them. Was skiing solo at Alta for the send and third. When I started skiing regularly around 2008, I never imagined that I would improve enough to enjoy steep slopes like these runs. Lessons and mileage make a difference but it takes a few years.

The woman in the first pic is a random local at Bachelor. We hadn't been out this traverse before. I stayed high and Bill is below. I opted to follow her over the little ridge to the left. Turned out the slope over there was less steep, so was worth being adventurous.

View attachment 13287
View attachment 13286
View attachment 13285

Those look seriously steep to me!!

I made my own attempts at taking photos on a steep slope on Sunday. I wonder if these look steep to someone unfamiliar with the terrain? I was standing up for these.

mid towers 1.PNG

mid towers 2.PNG

Same run, ~2 hour difference in time between them. I also took a photo looking straight across to the horizon, to show the "actual" pitch:

mid towers side.PNG

I can tell you right away that although I did get down that run each time, it took me a while and wasn't the prettiest descent ;) I did stay upright though! It is an ungroomed run rated black at my mountain. The snow was overall in very good condition (from being in the sun most of the day) so it was entirely skiable the whole way down, no ice. Just intimidatingly steep and I do not have a ton of ungroomed experience!

MissySki

Angel Diva

View attachment 13287
View attachment 13286
View attachment 13285

Those look quite steep to me! I think the people and trees really help emphasize it!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How was the skiing last weekend?

The skiing was fantastic. I did not end up getting anywhere with the pivot slips though, maybe next weekend! There's a specific, quite short and steep run which I like doing them down the side of, but it was kinda intimidatingly icy when I was trying them on my own. My body just seems to go automatically for the wedge now when I try them (plus a lot of hip movement... agh) so maybe I'll give it another week, and keep trying the off-snow exercises more (they feel very easy in my kitchen but not on snow!!). I need to override the "wedge and rotate the hips around" part of my brain :smile:

My ski area does a "first tracks" pass add-on where you can ski for an hour on the weekend before the lifts open to the general public. I've never bothered with it before but I've been arriving really early lately to make sure I get a car park, so I finally sprung for it. It's kinda pricey so that not too many people buy it, which ensures there's no lift lines. It was actually pretty sweet being able to ski the fresh cord; normally by the time I'm allowed on the lift there's none left!

first tracks.PNG

first tracks 2.PNG

Finding the last patches of cord before the lifts open to everyone else. :smile:

I did manage to squeeze in a quick lesson with my usual instructor. We briefly touched on pivot slips again, but I still don't have any videos, whoops! I will ask next time. He did take some videos of my other skiing so we could analyse them on the lift. I'm noticing that my skiing has become quite one-sided. Oddly enough my left leg turns (where my leg leg is the outside leg) look stronger and more controlled to me, and my right leg turns are a lot more skidded with more hip rotation. A year ago I was still dealing with the fallout from suffering a severe left ankle injury, and my right leg turns were stronger, plus I'm right handed/right sided anyway - so interesting that my better side has now swapped!

^ Here the goal was to do short turns in a narrow "corridor".

^ Regular turns on piste :smile:

(will accept any tips, critique etc, always!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Very nice! I'll leave it to instructors for suggestions.

Have you ever discussed "tip lead" with your instructor? Before I started working on my bad side, the difference in tip lead between the two directions was pretty obvious. Meaning after I started paying attention.

Oddly enough my left leg turns (where my leg leg is the outside leg) look stronger and more controlled to me, and my right leg turns are a lot more skidded with more hip rotation. A year ago I was still dealing with the fallout from suffering a severe left ankle injury, and my right leg turns were stronger, plus I'm right handed/right sided anyway - so interesting that my better side has now swapped!
That happened to me too! Also discovered this spring that when I was doing side lunges, I was doing them correctly to the left but not quite right to the right. My personal trainer had to keep pointing it out for a few weeks before I figured out how to fix it.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm seeing something like a step in...@liquidfeet, are you seeing, it, or is it slight wedge out return.
I think you're pressuring the front of the boot too much and it's causing too much angle at the ankle and knee. So your stance is a little out. Just flex enough to touch the boot, not bend them over.

Try standing on the hill and pretend to bounce a basketball. That's about how much bend you need. Or if you play tennis...ready position.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@fgor I'll leave any critiques to the professionals, but just wanted to say that I think you are showing so much improvement in your videos overall! The slopes look glorious right now too, where I am we've been having a lot of heat and humidity. Definitely starting to get the itch to ski, but that's still a ways off. Keep the pictures and videos coming so those of us in the Northern hemisphere can live vicariously through you!! :bounce:

Jilly

Staff member
Just watched the second again....try rounding out your turns. That snow uou're kicking up is caused by you skidding into a Z. You're turning too quick to go the other way. And causes the skis to slide sideways.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skiing was fantastic. I did not end up getting anywhere with the pivot slips though, maybe next weekend! There's a specific, quite short and steep run which I like doing them down the side of, but it was kinda intimidatingly icy when I was trying them on my own. My body just seems to go automatically for the wedge now when I try them (plus a lot of hip movement... agh) so maybe I'll give it another week, and keep trying the off-snow exercises more (they feel very easy in my kitchen but not on snow!!). I need to override the "wedge and rotate the hips around" part of my brain :smile:

The hip rotation in pivot slips is the biggie for most people. That's often why they are doing pivot slips. It's to replace that rotating hip with legs that rotate by themselves without the hip involvement. Being able to do this moves you into more versatile and secure skiing immediately. So keep trying, on blueish terrain, with fairly hard groomed snow. The wedge entry is important too, so I'll discuss this as well.

Practice session overview:
--Start your practice session with sideslips until the intimidation from the pitch is gone.
--Let's assume your skis are pointing to your right as you start your session.
--Then pivot to pointing them downhill, or close to downhill, then back to pointing right.
--Repeat, over and over. This is a half-pivot-slip.
--This backie-forthie movement involves a pivot to your left followed by a pivot to your right.
--Keep sideslipping the whole time.
--Once you've got this, try a half-pivot-slip from the other direction.
--Remember, you don't have to rotate them all the way to pointing downhill with either of these.
--Then put these two together to do full pivot slips, pointing skis all the way to the right then all the way to the left, sideslipping the whole time.
--Later, when you've got this, you can work on doing these pivot slips heading down the hill in a straight line with no left-right travel at all (difficult!). I can describe what to do to eliminate that left-right travel at that point.

Goals:
You have two important goals now. Both of these are important for your regular skiing. I'd isolate them and work on only one at a time. Your choice which to tackle first.
1. Try to do these half-pivot-slips without the hip rotation. Hips should stay pointing downhill as much as possible as legs rotate by themselves. Perfectly pointing downhill is anatomically impossible.
2. Try to do this without the wedge; parallel skis is totally possible. Yes you can!
3. Eliminating the left-right travel and heading straight down the fall line in the narrowest possible corridor can become a goal later.

Hip rotation:
Figure out how to do them without the hip rotation in one direction first, then work on the other, then put them together. Don't expect this to just happen one day. It takes time and persistence. Replacing the hip rotation with leg rotation independent of the hips is a very important thing for your skiing. Getting that dialed in will open up the whole world of upper level skiing for you. Practicing in socks in the kitchen is very helpful for feeling this movement.

Wedge entry:
The wedge comes from your focus on rotating the new outside ski/foot/leg. This focus effectively rotates that ski first because thre's no attention to the new inside ski/foot/leg so it lags behind. This causes the wedge.
--Solution: IGNORE the new outside ski/foot/leg. Shifting this engrained mental focus from the outside ski to the inside ski is hard to do, but amazingly it causes parallel pivoting skis. Once you do this in pivot slips, take it to all your skiing. Yes, shift your focus to the new inside ski/foot/leg for all your turns.
--Let's say you start working on a half-pivot-slip as described above, starting off pointing skis to your right. Your first pivot is to your left, to point skis more-or-less downhill momentarily.
--Focus your mind only on the new inside ski/foot/leg. Focus on rotating the left foot left to pivot left. Rotate it in place; avoid moving that foot out from your body.
--Then you'll need to point skis back to your right. Focus on rotating the right foot right to point right. Rotate it in place, not out from your body. Think of this rotation as like using a screwdriver. Rotate. Rotate only. No pushing the foot out or away.
--Do those half-pivot-slips over and over, until your mind can let go of paying any attention to the new outside foot. That's your big goal.
--Hold that left foot back up under you as you rotate it, avoiding moving it outward. Imagine it's a screwriver and just rotate it. Your right foot is so eager to rotate, it will do so without any help from your mind, so keep ignoring it.
--Then rotate the right foot to the right to get back to having skis pointed across the hill. Screwdriver!

That's about it. Try these every day you ski, whenever you're on terrain that seems tempting. Eventually they will kick in. I learned to do these one morning after two years of failure. I spent three unbroken hours just working on them, and by the end had a half-way decent pivot slip that didn't travel left-right much. Everyone is different. You are a determined skier. If your boots fit (mine didn't), you'll get it faster than I did.

Last edited:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just watched the second again....try rounding out your turns. That snow uou're kicking up is caused by you skidding into a Z. You're turning too quick to go the other way. And causes the skis to slide sideways.

I rewatched the video and noticed that I do that more on one side than the other, annoyingly enough!! I've tried to keep working on that this weekend, no videos so not sure if it's any better but I can but hope :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna