• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vibration platform?

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Has anyone used a vibration platform?

I'm intrigued by some of the reviews which claim that they improve muscle strength, coordination and balance, increase bone density, and help with weight control.

Since I belong to the "no pain no gain" school of thought, I am dubious about these claims. But I would love to be educated.

Thanks, stay safe, sane and healthy.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This post gave me a much welcomed flashback to my childhood and using the antique vibration machine at my grandfather’s gym with my cousins.

As for benefit from the modern incarnations... I suppose the argument is that they increase instability when making movements on them (like a balance board would too) so you combat that instability instinctively and it creates a “workout.”

Back when I worked in aviation safety (specifically human factors) part of our curriculum taught aircrews about the fatigue induced by long exposures to vibration in the aircraft so I definitely agree vibration has documented effects on our bodies.

I haven’t read about the bone density side.

Attachments

• 7E9622E9-634E-4D11-BD42-762C0A4D1C93.jpeg
    7E9622E9-634E-4D11-BD42-762C0A4D1C93.jpeg
    303.3 KB · Views: 10

newboots

Angel Diva
I remember seeing those things on TV in the 50s or early 60s! Somehow I knew even then that standing in that machine with the band vibrating your butt would likely not produce weight loss!

Scribble

Angel Diva
I remember reading an article about how vibrating platforms slightly increased the leg bone density of sheep. I know someone who developed nerve issues in his hands after using a jackhammer day after day. Maybe there is a happy medium, but I'd say no thanks.

newboots

Angel Diva
It couldn’t be as bad as a jackhammer!

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I like using one when my legs are super tight. I have access to one at a gym. I don't notice a big enough difference to consider purchasing one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna