• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont weather

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’ve been watching the weather religiously since the start of October. It’s still too warm here but we are getting a cold front soon. The weather can turn on a dime. Don’t panic until it’s time to panic!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m a believer in balancing out with weather.. Hoping a warm start equals more cold later and less warm up/refreeze cycles.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First frost last night, finally! And Killington apparently has managed at least one night of snowmaking. Winter is coming….

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been a gorgeous warm, sunny October here in central VT. Just spectacular. The temps have shifted, though, and we're due for some cooler days and nights dipping into the 30s and lots of precipitation.

Burke Mountain had snow overnight last night, and as @ilovepugs says, the weather here can shift dramatically in 24 hours.

newboots

Angel Diva
Unfortunately it seems that was in vain since it’ll be gone with the upcoming rain warmup :(
Possibly. If they have made enough, the rain might soak in and "consolidate the base." Or so I've been told. I just looked at the webcam tonight (8:07 pm Eastern), and there are a row of lights on Superstar that look suspiciously like snowcats traveling in formation.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Possibly. If they have made enough, the rain might soak in and "consolidate the base." Or so I've been told. I just looked at the webcam tonight (8:07 pm Eastern), and there are a row of lights on Superstar that look suspiciously like snowcats traveling in formation.

Hmm really? I guess I’d be kind of surprised if they were grooming.. I thought the thing to do, usually exemplified by opening with whales, is pile it up and not groom until the water drains out from blowing. Would also seem weird if they are having rain adding more water to groom? I saw pictures from someone “skiing” there (can’t remember now if it was over the weekend?) and it was nothing more than what looked to be faster grass haha. Who knows what is going on there though, I sure don’t. Did they make more progress since then? Skiology Matt was not sounding optimistic until next week, temperatures look better then for sure. For Sunday River too, which is where I obviously pay a lot closer attention.

ETA: Found it, this was posted yesterday from someone “skiing Killington”.. This was posted on Northeast Skiology’s page.

9714EE5D-54D8-4432-B473-007E76111745.jpegF07F0D88-1CCF-4D13-AE57-334CAF43836C.jpeg

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Those first-in-the-fall skiers will do anything! So, it's not snowcats after all. It was fun to think so for a little while.

newboots

Angel Diva
Something bad would happen to your bases!

The snow report said two trails are open. :rolleyes:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
They sure will! I can’t imagine making those turns for day 1, I’m sure something bad would happen. Lol :injured:
I’ve always been tempted to do something like that, but the temptation is vastly outweighed by the fear of tearing my ACL or whatever!!

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’m committed to not freaking out about the weather until snowmaking gets delayed more than a few days after its scheduled start date. Deep breaths.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m committed to not freaking out about the weather until snowmaking gets delayed more than a few days after its scheduled start date. Deep breaths.

I think we are fine, this is exactly what Skiology Matt said would happen here so it's not unexpected at all. Next week is looking good for overnight temps still too, hopefully that doesn't change :goodluck:. There is the potential Killington and Sunday River will open later next week or weekend.. Eek! Even though I'm itching to get out, it still feels like I have a ton to get ready ahead of that if I'm going up for opening day when announced lol.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’ve always been tempted to do something like that, but the temptation is vastly outweighed by the fear of tearing my ACL or whatever!!

Same! Also, I always feel a little weird on my first run or two of the season, like I have to learn how to turn again and make my head shut off haha. So I'd rather not have such rugged conditions to start that in.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Same! Also, I always feel a little weird on my first run or two of the season, like I have to learn how to turn again and make my head shut off haha. So I'd rather not have such rugged conditions to start that in.
It’s also super hard to snowboard on thin cover and I definitely don’t have the skills to be confident on skis in sketchy conditions!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice to see a flake or two of snow! I am more worried today about what the wind may do here overnight. My boat is still in the water and on the dock. This week of bad weather is not helping that process in the least!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Nice to see a flake or two of snow! I am more worried today about what the wind may do here overnight. My boat is still in the water and on the dock. This week of bad weather is not helping that process in the least!

Ugh yes agreed! Hope your boat fares well!

We got a message from our electrical company yesterday about the impending wind, that makes me nervous for being able to work from home tomorrow. I swear we lose power more than we ever did now that I work from home..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly