• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont travel restrictions

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
How will you go about knowing what co-workers or clients are doing for the winter? I might be doing the adult Peak Performance group at SR this season and when I asked what I would need to provide as information of my testing status etc. I was just told that it is expected that participants will comply with state restrictions. Does the program your involved with require some further documentation?

I'm not sure I understand your first question. Given the interface my program has with the Academy, we may very well have some different operating parameters about people from others states, both as clients and as employees. To be honest, I'll think twice about working if the mountain doesn't adhere to state guidelines and enforce them. But, that's a few months away and the guidelines may be different by then.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm not sure I understand your first question. Given the interface my program has with the Academy, we may very well have some different operating parameters about people from others states, both as clients and as employees. To be honest, I'll think twice about working if the mountain doesn't adhere to state guidelines and enforce them. But, that's a few months away and the guidelines may be different by then.

I was just wondering if there were extra parameters in place to get this information from people. Because you mentioned not wanting to be inside with people going back and forth etc., which makes sense (though I wouldn’t want to be inside with anyone even from there personally). I was curious how you would figure out who is and isn’t complying for that type of situation with co workers and students. Might very well be different with the academy aspect though, versus seasonal ski school programs from the mountain. I’m just not sure how you would know what people are actually doing except their word on the honor system as it currently seems to stand. That’s why I asked ski school about it as I would be with instructors and other adult students with no real way to know who is being safe off mountain the rest of the week.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

elemmac

Angel Diva
I’m just not sure how you would know what people are actually doing except their word on the honor system as it currently seems to stand.

For what it’s worth, this is how it’s working in VT with biking in the Northeast Kingdom. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus but Burke didn’t second guess where we were coming from. We bought lift tickets online and just picked them up...no questions asked (not sure if they would have denied us the tickets if we were from a different county that wasn’t allowed). Kingdom Trails was a bit more diligent and asked where we were coming from. I did hear about one person that was denied a trail ticket because they were from a yellow or red county.

MissySki

Angel Diva
For what it’s worth, this is how it’s working in VT with biking in the Northeast Kingdom. Not trying to throw anyone under the bus but Burke didn’t second guess where we were coming from. We bought lift tickets online and just picked them up...no questions asked (not sure if they would have denied us the tickets if we were from a different county that wasn’t allowed). Kingdom Trails was a bit more diligent and asked where we were coming from. I did hear about one person that was denied a trail ticket because they were from a yellow or red county.

Interesting that it wasn’t consistent, though certainly not surprising. For anyone with a second home or seasonal rental for skiing, you could surely challenge that type of thing though. How do they know where you’re living for the season with so many people being remote now? I can’t imagine they can police it, though it could definitely vary by activity and program. I would think they’d try in some way, but not really sure what that would be.. However, that is why I inquired recently as I wanted to know ahead of purchasing if I’m going to be expected to submit negative tests every week or something.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Real estate sales are booming like crazy in VT right now, and schools are seeing increased enrollment as many remote workers from urban areas seem to be coming to stay up here for the time being. The DMV is just barely starting to open for service, so a person's license plate or driver's license doesn't tell you much.

I can't imagine that hotels are actually enforcing or verifying anything; they seem to basically be working on the honor system as to whether guests have appropriately quarantined.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
If anyone has any doubts about how Vermont is handling things, Dr. Anthony Fauci thinks we're doing a pretty good job. He was a guest today at Governor Scott's bi-weekly press briefing and said, "Vermont should be a model for the country for how you've done it, not withstanding that you're a small state, But it should be a model for how you get to such a low test positivity that you can actually start to open up the economy in a safe and prudent way.” He also said, "I believe strongly that if we do what you have been doing in Vermont in the rest of the country … we can not only get through the fall and the winter, but can come out on the other end better off than we went in."

He said Vermont's success is because the public faithfully followed prevention advice, such as wearing masks, avoiding crowds, and keeping physically distant from each other. And he urged Vermonters not to let down their guard. He says the coronavirus is a "formidable foe" that will seize any opportunity to spread.

In related news, on Friday Governor Scott said he might consider easing lodging restrictions in the state for fall foliage season, based on how well we're doing. We should hear more about that this week.

Last edited:

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Real estate sales are booming like crazy in VT right now.

My MIL listed her place FSBO on Zillow at $100k more than what our realtor friend thought it was worth, and got 2 offers at or significantly above asking price within the week, one of which was made sight unseen by an out of state buyer from California. “Crazy” really is an understatement, but given how quiet our state is compared to the rest of country, perhaps for a good reason.

And now she gets to live with us in our in-law cottage... free rent for her but free weekday dog care for us!

Jenny

Angel Diva
My MIL listed her place FSBO on Zillow at $100k more than what our realtor friend thought it was worth, and got 2 offers at or significantly above asking price within the week, one of which was made sight unseen by an out of state buyer from California. “Crazy” really is an understatement, but given how quiet our state is compared to the rest of country, perhaps for a good reason.

And now she gets to live with us in our in-law cottage... free rent for her but free weekday dog care for us!
Holy cow!

gingerjess

Angel Diva

Wow! Good deal for both of you!

Jilly

Staff member
Case counts are going up in Quebec and they could lock down there again. Not even quarantine unless you can prove a Quebec residency. Like your driver's license has to say you live in Quebec. You don't even get across the provincial border. Hoping they get in under control before ski season. They have a number of "hot spots" and are hoping for a turn around.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Holy cow!

That’s what I said! There really are a lot of people coming from out of state to Vermont.

Then again I’m pretty sure that the contract price seems like an absolute steal compared to what people are used to paying in California. It’s great for the MIL but obviously an issue for the local families that have to compete. No way we could have gotten our home at the price we paid last year.

Christy

Angel Diva
There is a very cool interactive article in the NYT today that talks about travel restrictions and how important they are to containing the virus. The article uses examples from within the U.S. and external to it. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...onavirus-close-borders-travel-quarantine.html

Wow, super interesting article.

It's become well-known in Alaska that an inbound traveler can just walk right by the public-health people at the airport without showing proof of a negative test.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
And also from today's press briefing:

Bars and restaurants with counter seating will be allowed to serve customers, under new guidelines announced Friday by Gov. Phil Scott, and lodging facilities can open to 100% capacity.

Bars will be required to maintain a six-foot separation between customers and have barriers in place between servers and customers.

Lodging facilities can open to full capacity, a move Scott said was critical as fall foliage season approaches. Visitors who come from areas with a low rate of cases will not be required to follow a 14-day quarantine, unlike others who come from higher-rate areas.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Bars and restaurants with counter seating will be allowed to serve customers, under new guidelines announced Friday by Gov. Phil Scott, and lodging facilities can open to 100% capacity.

Hmmm, I'm actually a little concerned about that. Our general store has a cafe with counter seating open to the grocery and butcher shop. If people have their masks off to eat, that will impact the safety of everyone in the whole store. We've been relying heavily on the general store for groceries since the spring, in part because our big grocery stores are in New Hampshire, and mask-wise, it's a dangerous free-for-all over there.

I worry that this loosening around bars and restaurants is not entirely a good idea.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hmmm, I'm actually a little concerned about that. Our general store has a cafe with counter seating open to the grocery and butcher shop. If people have their masks off to eat, that will impact the safety of everyone in the whole store. We've been relying heavily on the general store for groceries since the spring, in part because our big grocery stores are in New Hampshire, and mask-wise, it's a dangerous free-for-all over there.

I worry that this loosening around bars and restaurants is not entirely a good idea.

I feel the same way.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lodging facilities can open to full capacity, a move Scott said was critical as fall foliage season approaches. Visitors who come from areas with a low rate of cases will not be required to follow a 14-day quarantine, unlike others who come from higher-rate areas.
Looks like the next update will be on Tue, Sept. 22.

It's confusing. Searching on for VT travel restrictions can lead to guidelines that are obsolete.

Official VT website
https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel

VT vacation website, with map and link to official VT website above
https://www.vermontvacation.com/travel-restrictions

MissySki

Angel Diva

Bars will be required to maintain a six-foot separation between customers and have barriers in place between servers and customers.

That sounds weird.. Opening lodging to 100% capacity? Is that a version of loosening travel restrictions then, without actually changing the rules? I mean, everyone knows many people are not following those rules since it's pretty much honor system where you can say you quarantined in your home state. So raising capacity is also allowing more people in, many of whom you have to assume haven't strictly quarantined for the 2 weeks they're claiming regardless of their county of origin. These rules only keep the rule followers away when there is no actual way to police or enforce them, so it's surprising to me to move that way. :noidea:

Last edited:

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mean, everyone knows many people are not following those rules since it's pretty much honor system where you can say you quarantined in your home state. So raising capacity is also allowing more people in, many of whom you have to assume haven't strictly quarantined for the 2 weeks they're claiming regardless of their county of origin. These rules only keep the rule followers away when there is no actual way to police or enforce them. :noidea:

It's a cave-in to the tourist and restaurant industries since foliage season is coming soon and it's about to be too cold for outdoor restaurant seating. I understand the economic distress and there are no easy answers for a small, struggling state without federal support on an extraordinary scale. But this is not the time to be letting down our guard. And yeah, anyone who would travel widely and stay in hotels these days is probably not being particularly careful about COVID health in their day-to-day life. This could be such a disaster for Vermont.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly