• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont travel restrictions

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just submitted my refund request to Killington. NOW, what to do with my Epic Northeast mid-week pass? I'm moving to the Hudson Valley, so it allows me to ski at Hunter. Everybody says Hunter is crowded and speaks of it disparagingly. I have to mess with quarantine/testing to use it at Mt. Snow or Okemo. I can get a Windham + Ikon base pass for $999. This would give me some days at the ORDA mountains, Killington, Sunday River . . .

I'm likely buying the ORDA Ski3 pass for Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface. Belleayre is reasonably close (90 minutes), and the others are good for meetups. But skiing only Belleayre for my day trips might get a little boring. I've only skied there once, but there seemed to be a sameness about the trails after awhile.

Getting ready to move, it occurs to me I have to pay much more attention to the quarantine rules. My head hurts anyway (mild migraine), but thinking about these passes and what to choose makes it hurt much worse!

:snow: Can somebody just tell me what to do? :wink:

Don't get too overwhelmed yet.. I don't go out a ton, but I haven't been subject to any quarantine for anywhere I have gone so far all this time. It might be less daunting than you think, unless you're planning on doing overnights somewhere which could get more complicated. For normal daily life, not much should change, just keep with the normal vigilance you have been for masks, distancing, and hand hygiene that you've undoubtedly been doing already regardless of where you go.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmmm—I think Epic's deal, IIRC, is that you can opt-out any time pre-season to move your pass to next year. It's not a refund, but if the only resort you'll have access to this year isn't one you're interested in, could be the way to go.
I just submitted my refund request to Killington. NOW, what to do with my Epic Northeast mid-week pass? I'm moving to the Hudson Valley, so it allows me to ski at Hunter. Everybody says Hunter is crowded and speaks of it disparagingly. I have to mess with quarantine/testing to use it at Mt. Snow or Okemo. I can get a Windham + Ikon base pass for $999. This would give me some days at the ORDA mountains, Killington, Sunday River . . .

I'm likely buying the ORDA Ski3 pass for Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface. Belleayre is reasonably close (90 minutes), and the others are good for meetups. But skiing only Belleayre for my day trips might get a little boring. I've only skied there once, but there seemed to be a sameness about the trails after awhile.

Getting ready to move, it occurs to me I have to pay much more attention to the quarantine rules. My head hurts anyway (mild migraine), but thinking about these passes and what to choose makes it hurt much worse!

:snow: Can somebody just tell me what to do? :wink:
You should contact EPIC and tell them you're moving and see if you can get a refund.

Christy

Angel Diva
I can appreciate that people are frustrated or confused with rules in VT (or NM, per the other thread). But it could be worse. Idaho could be your next door neighbor. What a mess that state is. And a person that lives in Seattle, I find it infuriating they won't take the virus seriously and just think they can send patients to Seattle, where our doctors and nurses have to expose themselves and wear themselves out to treat them.

We were thinking about visiting some off the beaten path ski areas in ID this winter but now, absolutely not. (I should say, I know Ketchum/Sun Valley have mask mandates and good rules, but they are the exception, and I don't want to be in ID or near a lot of people from there).

I highlighted some of the good stuff. More in the link.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-but-some-parts-of-idaho-refuse-mask-rules-2/

BOISE — Moments after hearing an Idaho hospital was overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients and looking at sending people as far away as Seattle for care, members of a regional health department board voted Thursday to repeal a local mask mandate.

“Most of our medical surgical beds at Kootenai Health are full,” Panhandle Health District epidemiologist Jeff Lee told board members in the state’s third most populated county.

The hospital in Coeur d’Alene reached 99% capacity a day earlier, even after doubling up patients in rooms and buying more hospital beds. Idaho is one of several states where a surge of COVID-19 infections is overwhelming hospitals, likely in part because cooler weather is sending people indoors, U.S. health officials said.

“We’re facing staff shortages, and we have a lot of physician fatigue. This has been going on for seven months — we’re tired,” Lee said.

He introduced several doctors who testified about the struggle COVID-19 patients face, the burden on hospitals and how masks reduce the spread of the virus.

But the board voted 4-3 to end the mask mandate. Board members overseeing the operations of Idaho’s public health districts are appointed by county commissioners and not required to have any medical experience.

Board member Walt Kirby said he was giving up on the idea of controlling the spread of coronavirus.

“I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that’s fine with me,” Kirby said. “Nobody’s wearing the damned mask anyway. … I’m sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I’ll live through it.”

Another member, Allen Banks, denied COVID-19 exists.

“Something’s making these people sick, and I’m pretty sure that it’s not coronavirus, so the question that you should be asking is, ‘What’s making them sick?’” he told the medical professionals who testified.

Similar scenes — with doctors and nurses asking officials for help, only to be met with reluctance or even open skepticism — have played out across the conservative state. Idaho is sixth in the nation for new coronavirus cases per capita, with the average number of confirmed cases increasing by more than 55% every day over the past two weeks.

Still, Republican Gov. Brad Little has declined to issue a statewide mask mandate or limit crowd sizes beyond requiring social distancing at large events and in businesses, which is seldom enforced.

gingerjess

Angel Diva
I can appreciate that people are frustrated or confused with rules in VT (or NM, per the other thread). But it could be worse. Idaho could be your next door neighbor. What a mess that state is. And a person that lives in Seattle, I find it infuriating they won't take the virus seriously and just think they can send patients to Seattle, where our doctors and nurses have to expose themselves and wear themselves out to treat them.

We were thinking about visiting some off the beaten path ski areas in ID this winter but now, absolutely not. (I should say, I know Ketchum/Sun Valley have mask mandates and good rules, but they are the exception, and I don't want to be in ID or near a lot of people from there).

I highlighted some of the good stuff. More in the link.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...-but-some-parts-of-idaho-refuse-mask-rules-2/

BOISE — Moments after hearing an Idaho hospital was overwhelmed by COVID-19 patients and looking at sending people as far away as Seattle for care, members of a regional health department board voted Thursday to repeal a local mask mandate.

“Most of our medical surgical beds at Kootenai Health are full,” Panhandle Health District epidemiologist Jeff Lee told board members in the state’s third most populated county.

The hospital in Coeur d’Alene reached 99% capacity a day earlier, even after doubling up patients in rooms and buying more hospital beds. Idaho is one of several states where a surge of COVID-19 infections is overwhelming hospitals, likely in part because cooler weather is sending people indoors, U.S. health officials said.

“We’re facing staff shortages, and we have a lot of physician fatigue. This has been going on for seven months — we’re tired,” Lee said.

He introduced several doctors who testified about the struggle COVID-19 patients face, the burden on hospitals and how masks reduce the spread of the virus.

But the board voted 4-3 to end the mask mandate. Board members overseeing the operations of Idaho’s public health districts are appointed by county commissioners and not required to have any medical experience.

Board member Walt Kirby said he was giving up on the idea of controlling the spread of coronavirus.

“I personally do not care whether anybody wears a mask or not. If they want to be dumb enough to walk around and expose themselves and others, that’s fine with me,” Kirby said. “Nobody’s wearing the damned mask anyway. … I’m sitting back and watching them catch it and die. Hopefully I’ll live through it.”

“Something’s making these people sick, and I’m pretty sure that it’s not coronavirus, so the question that you should be asking is, ‘What’s making them sick?’” he told the medical professionals who testified.

Similar scenes — with doctors and nurses asking officials for help, only to be met with reluctance or even open skepticism — have played out across the conservative state. Idaho is sixth in the nation for new coronavirus cases per capita, with the average number of confirmed cases increasing by more than 55% every day over the past two weeks.

Still, Republican Gov. Brad Little has declined to issue a statewide mask mandate or limit crowd sizes beyond requiring social distancing at large events and in businesses, which is seldom enforced.
This is enraging.

Chris W

Certified Ski Diva

YIKES.

How awful. :(

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Holy crow. How dumb can people be.

We are never going to get rid of this thing.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots , don't overthink your "home hill" too much. Especially if you got your pass for an early bird price or other discount. How far is Hunter from your new home? And how often do you hope to ski this season? I have heard similar comments about Wachusett. But I consider it close enough to go there once or twice a week, and generally get at least 20 days in each season (and if I can only ski in MA this year, it will be more). That works for me. When people say it is crowded, they are talking about weekends and holidays. Midweek is pretty quiet. And lapping runs that I know gives me the opportunity to focus on my skiing and trying to improve. Honestly, if I didn't ski midweek at Wachusett, I wouldn't get much chance to ski at all. And I'd rather ski than not. But honestly, I do like skiing there. Looking at Hunter's stats and trail map, it is bigger than Wachusett.

So the big question is not really if Hunter is your ideal home hill (especially after Killington!) but rather do you want to have a pass to ski in NY this year considering that other states might have travel restrictions.

newboots

Angel Diva
Don't get too overwhelmed yet.. I don't go out a ton, but I haven't been subject to any quarantine for anywhere I have gone so far all this time. It might be less daunting than you think, unless you're planning on doing overnights somewhere which could get more complicated. For normal daily life, not much should change, just keep with the normal vigilance you have been for masks, distancing, and hand hygiene that you've undoubtedly been doing already regardless of where you go.

I just went to New York state to finalize my lease and measure my daughter's back yard for my chickens who will be staying with her. I'm subject to a quarantine right now - 7 days + test, or 14 days. Where I will be living is about 3.5 hours away from Killington and Okemo, and I would be staying overnight at my house, where Mr. Blizzard will be living. Except that he got sick (NOT with Covid, tested negative) and he is now Mr. Careful and probably won't want me to.

But I appreciate your thoughts! I can hope that Dutchess County (NY) gets better and loses its yellow status, but that seems unlikely. Numbers are climbing, as was predicted by everybody in public health.

altagirl

Staff member
Utah is no better. Things are out of control and yesterday the state epidemiologist stated in a press conference "I don't know what to do anymore" because no one follows the guidelines and the government is always very clear to state that there will be NO enforcement at all.

They won't place any restriction on ski resorts - it's all just up to businesses to comply with guidelines and they just trust everyone to do the right thing... In a community largely full of people who are aggressively against masks. And adults who stage protests against masks being worn at schools, etc... It's insane and I'm still not going anywhere other than to grab curbside pickup, and I have everything else delivered. It's scary and things are spiking since schools opened.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just went to New York state to finalize my lease and measure my daughter's back yard for my chickens who will be staying with her. I'm subject to a quarantine right now - 7 days + test, or 14 days. Where I will be living is about 3.5 hours away from Killington and Okemo, and I would be staying overnight at my house, where Mr. Blizzard will be living. Except that he got sick (NOT with Covid, tested negative) and he is now Mr. Careful and probably won't want me to.

But I appreciate your thoughts! I can hope that Dutchess County (NY) gets better and loses its yellow status, but that seems unlikely. Numbers are climbing, as was predicted by everybody in public health.

Ahh I actually will do day trips up to 3.5 hours each way, but I forget that not everyone is wanting to do that. I consider day trips for outside activities fair game, but I know not everyone agrees with that.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Utah is no better. Things are out of control and yesterday the state epidemiologist stated in a press conference "I don't know what to do anymore" because no one follows the guidelines and the government is always very clear to state that there will be NO enforcement at all.

They won't place any restriction on ski resorts - it's all just up to businesses to comply with guidelines and they just trust everyone to do the right thing... In a community largely full of people who are aggressively against masks. And adults who stage protests against masks being worn at schools, etc... It's insane and I'm still not going anywhere other than to grab curbside pickup, and I have everything else delivered. It's scary and things are spiking since schools opened.

Awful.

altagirl

Staff member

It is. We DO have very low death rates, which is a positive (also a young population overall). I keep wondering if all the folks here who keep insisting it's just the flu, no big deal so you can't infringe on my rights and make me change my behavior... will MAYBE change their tune now that we have a number of major hospitals with overloaded ICUs, but I'm not seeing any shift yet.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I wish I were still young enough to do that! :wink:

It IS tiring and definitely not my favorite thing.. I like the seasonal rental option much more these days. It also helps to do that kind of day trip with someone else so you’re not alone in the car on the way home when more likely to get sleepy after skiing all day.

When I went to Big Snow in NJ a few weeks ago with some other divas that was slightly over 3 hours each way. That one wasn’t bad though for some reason, probably because I didn’t have to leave my house at like 4:30am like I would on a long day trip to get to the mountain for first chair haha. I did that ride solo no problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna