• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont travel restrictions

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was under the impression that in some areas of the state people cross the border for shopping etc. and certainly skiing.

Grafton County, NH just became "yellow," but the regulations say that people can travel to and from VT for work, doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, and other necessary trips. I'm a first responder in VT and we take maybe half of our patients to DHMC (Edit: in Lebanon, NH) because it's a level I trauma center in an area with otherwise under-resourced rural hospitals. Everyone in our service is licensed in both VT and NH, because part of our 911 service area is in New Hampshire.

Just to give people an idea of how quickly resources can be strained, we've spent part of this week taking patients on long trips outside the region because our local hospital and DHMC were turning patients away for lack of beds.

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
DHMC = Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, for those outside New England. Those of us who live on the border have long done our shopping and gotten our cars repaired in New Hampshire. But their more lax mask regulations kept me away for months. I had to cross the border last week for a prescription, and I was pleased to se everyone masked and additional precautions taken.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Grafton County, NH just became "yellow," but the regulations say that people can travel to and from VT for work, doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, and other necessary trips. I'm a first responder in VT and we take maybe half of our patients to DHMC (Edit: in Lebanon, NH) because it's a level I trauma center in an area with otherwise under-resourced rural hospitals. Everyone in our service is licensed in both VT and NH, because part of our 911 service area is in New Hampshire.

Just to give people an idea of how quickly resources can be strained, we've spent part of this week taking patients on long trips outside the region because our local hospital and DHMC were turning patients away for lack of beds.

Yeah, that’s the same rules between MA and RI, though the “essential” trips don’t cover everything you’d really want. No one is following it at all down here though, so it’s pretty much completely useless imo. I think Grafton county would be more notable when ski season starts since Cannon and Loon are within it. Unless skiing is an “essential” trip. Haha

Are the beds unavailable due to Covid patients?

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In a previous life, I used to be really into lifting heavy weights. I miss feeling like a superhero whose body does whatever she asks! I guess I could try to get a better home gym set up, but barbells and squat racks are hard to find these days :(
I got a Total Gym (off of Craigslist there's usually a bunch) and I LOVE It. Just FYI - give me good muscle work out. I already got a rebounder and an inexpensive stationary bike and a bunch of bands for resistance training (great youtube to go with it) and a couple bar bells - but the Total Gym has really filled in a missing piece. Wishing you the best!

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DHMC = Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, for those outside New England. Those of us who live on the border have long done our shopping and gotten our cars repaired in New Hampshire. But their more lax mask regulations kept me away for months. I had to cross the border last week for a prescription, and I was pleased to se everyone masked and additional precautions taken.
I am in Hanover and there is a mask ordinance here and also in a few other NH towns.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was under the impression that in some areas of the state people cross the border for shopping etc. and certainly skiing. But now do you also have to keep track of the counties you would go to in state? That seems a little ridiculous. It’s kind of like how RI is on the restricted list in MA, but NO ONE follows that because we are all on the border. My hairdresser is in RI, so I was there just this weekend and feel no guilt on that. Literally anyplace you go in RI has MA plates and in MA has RI plates, it’s just the way it is.

Not skiing. As of now, "recreating" is not allowed.

Well, I understand it sounds ridiculous --but really there has just been a haphazard response from our government-- but if there was a unified response I am betting people would be understanding that it is following rules (as ridiculous as they sound) that work --- when we ALL do it, it works that is. But you are right a lot of people are not. And "it is just the way it is" is in my opinion not the best way to decide on what is right (I mean, just look at what is going on in places where people are not following basic CDC guidelines). Sure I get the one time thing, but I think you get what I am saying.

And this VT way of how they are doing their figuring -- well, it does have some issues because the counties---say, Grafton County in NH -- are so huge and even Windsor (VT) has a higher rate than Grafton. Anyway, we could dial down into all of that and it is a maze (!).and it is late and it's too much to think about right now.

Now as to living on the border I do too and how that will affect skiing is just very interesting. Will someone in Norwich (VT, Windsor County) right over the bridge from Hanover, NH/Dartmouth, say a student or Professor who has a pass to the Dartmouth Skiway not be able to ski at the Skiway since it is in Grafton Country (NH)? And will someone who lives in Grafton County, NH, not be able to ski at Killington or Pico? All TBD. And to your point also: who will follow it and observe it?

I have my Epic Pass and I was thinking of also getting a Suicide 6 one (by Dec 1 you also get an Indy Pass which is sweet!) because they will not require reservations (and the Indy pass makes it a great bargain).... BUT thinking about these possible VT restrictions, I may be better suited to get a Dartmouth Skiway pass.

I am wondering if they will change the "recreating" part of the restrictions. Personally, I draw a distinction between people like me who live locally and out of staters coming into town, but that's a lot of variables to juggle for resorts/states figuring out who gets to do what. TBD! Thanks for this forum by the way, good to hear other's views.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And since this fits for me .... why should it be such a PIA to get a Covid-19 test to travel??!! I want to be tested before I move north. I need a referral most places or I can pay $100-$200 to get one. This should be something anyone can get anytime it is needed. I listened to a couple of my summer race crew complaining about how hard it was to get the test for school .... and one had even been tested twice for work, but still needed the other. Auuuugh. But any more bitching about this gets me into politics which I will save for other venues!

MissySki

Angel Diva
And since this fits for me .... why should it be such a PIA to get a Covid-19 test to travel??!! I want to be tested before I move north. I need a referral most places or I can pay $100-$200 to get one. This should be something anyone can get anytime it is needed. I listened to a couple of my summer race crew complaining about how hard it was to get the test for school .... and one had even been tested twice for work, but still needed the other. Auuuugh. But any more bitching about this gets me into politics which I will save for other venues!

Just talking about this in a work meeting, multiple people have been able to get free tests in MA and results within 8 hrs for PCR and even sites that return within 30 minutes for the rapid tests (though those aren’t going to catch as much if you are asymptomatic). They were getting tested after travel returning to MA. I was happily surprised to hear this since I haven’t needed a test yet.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Just talking about this in a work meeting, multiple people have been able to get free tests in MA and results within 8 hrs for PCR and even sites that return within 30 minutes for the rapid tests (though those aren’t going to catch as much if you are asymptomatic). They were getting tested after travel returning to MA. I was happily surprised to hear this since I haven’t needed a test yet.

New Hampshire has been similar, I know a couple people that got tested before/after travelling, without having any symptoms...and had no complaints on being able to get one quickly and easily. I really thought this was common across the US by now...

I'll follow @Abbi's high road, leave it at that and take the political comments elsewhere.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

@MissySki And they just walked in? Or made an appointment? No doctor referral? I checked CVS online and the form I filled out says I wasn't eligible for free ..... Haven't called a walk in center that shows no restrictions. I'm sure if I call my PCD who is wonderful that he can get me a referral. But all the apparent hoops to jump through!

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki And they just walked in? Or made an appointment? No doctor referral? I checked CVS online and the form I filled out says I wasn't eligible for free ..... Haven't called a walk in center that shows no restrictions. I'm sure if I call my PCD who is wonderful that he can get me a referral. But all the apparent hoops to jump through!

They just went in. It'd be kind of a hike for you, but here is a list of some free ones that don't require any appointment or referral in Framingham. You apparently don't even need to show an ID or insurance information. One of the people I spoke to went to the drive through one on Brook St. and said they waited in line for ~10 mins in their car and it's the test that doesn't require you to have it get shoved to your brain, just swirled around a bunch of times in each nostril. They got results emailed the same night.

https://www.framinghamma.gov/2952/COVID-19-Testing-Information

MissySki

Angel Diva
New Hampshire has been similar, I know a couple people that got tested before/after travelling, without having any symptoms...and had no complaints on being able to get one quickly and easily. I really thought this was common across the US by now...

I'll follow @Abbi's high road, leave it at that and take the political comments elsewhere.

Right, but @Abbi is in RI so I'm not sure why it's be any different from MA politically. Raimondo even touted over the summer that people would be able to get tested ahead of traveling due to all of the states that had put them on the restricted list. So very surprised to hear this being an issue there in general.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They just went in. It'd be kind of a hike for you, but here is a list of some free ones that don't require any appointment or referral in Framingham. You apparently don't even need to show an ID or insurance information. One of the people I spoke to went to the drive through one on Brook St. and said they waited in line for ~10 mins in their car and it's the test that doesn't require you to have it get shoved to your brain, just swirled around a bunch of times in each nostril. They got results emailed the same night.

https://www.framinghamma.gov/2952/COVID-19-Testing-Information

Framingham IS a hike! Used to work there a zillion years ago. I'll figure things out here since I have a bit more than a month to deal with this. I'm just annoyed that it should be so difficult. I might go poke around on the RI DOH web page and see if I'm missing something. Still ..... AUUUGH!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right, but @Abbi is in RI so I'm not sure why it's be any different from MA politically. Raimondo even touted over the summer that people would be able to get tested ahead of traveling due to all of the states that had put them on the restricted list. So very surprised to hear this being an issue there in general.

No ... the not going to politics comment is not state or regional. And I've probably gone too far already!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Framingham IS a hike! Used to work there a zillion years ago. I'll figure things out here since I have a bit more than a month to deal with this. I'm just annoyed that it should be so difficult. I might go poke around on the RI DOH web page and see if I'm missing something. Still ..... AUUUGH!

Yeah, I'm sure there are more sites in MA like this all over as well, I just wanted to recommend one that I heard really positive reference to just this morning haha. For me it would actually be great because it's not too far off from where I am so if ME ends up restricting us again at least there's that.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just submitted my refund request to Killington. NOW, what to do with my Epic Northeast mid-week pass? I'm moving to the Hudson Valley, so it allows me to ski at Hunter. Everybody says Hunter is crowded and speaks of it disparagingly. I have to mess with quarantine/testing to use it at Mt. Snow or Okemo. I can get a Windham + Ikon base pass for $999. This would give me some days at the ORDA mountains, Killington, Sunday River . . .

I'm likely buying the ORDA Ski3 pass for Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface. Belleayre is reasonably close (90 minutes), and the others are good for meetups. But skiing only Belleayre for my day trips might get a little boring. I've only skied there once, but there seemed to be a sameness about the trails after awhile.

Getting ready to move, it occurs to me I have to pay much more attention to the quarantine rules. My head hurts anyway (mild migraine), but thinking about these passes and what to choose makes it hurt much worse!

:snow: Can somebody just tell me what to do? :wink:

gingerjess

Angel Diva
Hmmm—I think Epic's deal, IIRC, is that you can opt-out any time pre-season to move your pass to next year. It's not a refund, but if the only resort you'll have access to this year isn't one you're interested in, could be the way to go.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna