• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont travel restrictions

marzNC

Angel Diva
And yeah, anyone who would travel widely and stay in hotels these days is probably not being particularly careful about COVID health in their day-to-day life. This could be such a disaster for Vermont.
While I understand your frustration, any broad generalization about any group of people is rarely true.

I've been traveling all summer for one reason or another, including a drive from NC to Lake Placid with friends in my extended "bubble." My immediate family stayed very close to home in March and April until there was enough information to understand how to stay safe away from home. I've taken great care to choose where I get gas, stop for restrooms on the road, and what type of motel rooms to use. My husband is high risk. He's being careful but is not simply staying in our house or within 5 miles of our home. After several months, I'm comfortable with our approach.

As has been said elsewhere, to travel or not during a pandemic is a personal decision.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And yeah, anyone who would travel widely and stay in hotels these days is probably not being particularly careful about COVID health in their day-to-day life. This could be such a disaster for Vermont.
I beg to differ. @marzNC post above is one example. Also I am planning on traveling this winter only if the infection rates don't go up. DH and and I have been extremely careful and have not yet had overnight travel, but I know several people who have traveled and took all the necessary precautions. And I am planning on being very careful when I travel. I already have N95 and goggles to fly in.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Personally, I have not left the county in six months, BUT it's my personal decision. I don't think others are being careless who do travel. Not at all. Two of my good friends (one a retired PA) have traveled a bit out of California. They are extremely careful. I plan on going to Tahoe in the fall as feel it's time. I know what to do to remain safe.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel very strongly about unnecessary travel and think that this is an issue on which I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I do not doubt the integrity of any individual's personal precautions, but I'm speaking in general terms because 1 in 4 Americans say they refuse to wear a mask, and there have been a significant number of people visiting VT for summer chairlift rides and the like who aggressively refuse to abide by resorts' mask and distancing policies. Those people are staying in hotels, going to restaurants, using restrooms, and entering other businesses. Our state is about to open up to visitors on a large scale; even if most individuals and families are careful and take precautions, there is a high probability that our COVID rate will increase and our resources will become strained. That's why there are state mandates about travel from and to particular counties and regions: because in some contexts, the personal decision to travel is superseded by public health interests.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel very strongly about unnecessary travel and think that this is an issue on which I'll have to respectfully disagree.

I do not doubt the integrity of any individual's personal precautions, but I'm speaking in general terms because 1 in 4 Americans say they refuse to wear a mask, and there have been a significant number of people visiting VT for summer chairlift rides and the like who aggressively refuse to abide by resorts' mask and distancing policies. Those people are staying in hotels, going to restaurants, using restrooms, and entering other businesses. Our state is about to open up to visitors on a large scale; even if most individuals and families are careful and take precautions, there is a high probability that our COVID rate will increase and our resources will become strained. That's why there are state mandates about travel from and to particular counties and regions: because in some contexts, the personal decision to travel is superseded by public health interests.
Ok, but do you realize that your initial post sounded like you were strongly disapprove of those who travel now? And a number of Divas have either traveled or are planning to travel. At least that is how I interpreted it. It's of course your right and your opinion. Also a decision to travel is a highly personal one. Most states allow you to enter if you either provide a negative test or quarantine for 14 days. So the public health concern is mitigated if one has a proof of a recent negative test before entering the state and takes all necessary precautions while traveling.

I do understand your point about many people in US refusing to take precautions and not wearing masks etc and those people present danger when travel, that is good point. And I understand your frustration about situation in VT.

alison wong

Angel Diva
While I understand your frustration, any broad generalization about any group of people is rarely true

Can't agree more.

Ok, but do you realize that your initial post sounded like you were strongly disapprove of those who travel now?

Yes, that's my impression too!

And a number of Divas have either traveled or are planning to travel.

I am one of them. (I have traveled both for essential and non-essential reasons over summer months and I am planning to travel upcoming months.)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok, but do you realize that your initial post sounded like you were strongly disapprove of those who travel now? And a number of Divas have either traveled or are planning to travel. At least that is how I interpreted it. It's of course your right and your opinion. Also a decision to travel is a highly personal one. Most states allow you to enter if you either provide a negative test or quarantine for 14 days. So the public health concern is mitigated if one has a proof of a recent negative test before entering the state and takes all necessary precautions while traveling.

I do understand your point about many people in US refusing to take precautions and not wearing masks etc and those people present danger when travel, that is good point. And I understand your frustration about situation in VT.

Yes, the decision to travel is personal, but you cannot expect to make that decision with immunity from disapproval. We're living in a context in which one individual's behavior can have an impact on others, and people have different parameters for what they consider reasonable and safe behavior.

Me, I would prefer that people make the decision to limit unnecessary travel as much as possible. You have a right to do what you feel is reasonable. But you don't have a right to insist that I agree with you.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Yes, the decision to travel is personal, but you cannot expect to make that decision with immunity from disapproval. We're living in a context in which one individual's behavior can have an impact on others, and people have different parameters for what they consider reasonable and safe behavior.

Me, I would prefer that people make the decision to limit unnecessary travel as much as possible. You have a right to do what you feel is reasonable. But you don't have a right to insist that I agree with you.

The article that @BackCountryGirl posted about the role that travel can have in spreading the virus was pretty eye opening. Reposting it here. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...onavirus-close-borders-travel-quarantine.html

I agree that, like wearing a mask, the decision to travel is a personal decision. The difference is that not wearing a mask is generally met with oppobrium because most people have been educated about the science of mask wearing. But it doesn’t mean that frequent cross state travel is the “right” thing to do either from a public health perspective!

The unfortunate fact is that social messaging about travel’s role in spreading the virus has been inconsistent at best because our government officials don’t want to totally throw the tourism and hospitality industries under the bus. I definitely urge people to read the NY Times article; it makes a pretty convincing case.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say is that many of you are a lot braver than I am. I haven't been anywhere since March, and I'm terrified of air travel -- not just because of the planes, but because it'd mean going through airports. Yes, a lot of people follow the recommended precautions, but too many people don't, and I worry about that.

Last edited:

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do not doubt the integrity of any individual's personal precautions, but I'm speaking in general terms because 1 in 4 Americans say they refuse to wear a mask, and there have been a significant number of people visiting VT for summer chairlift rides and the like who aggressively refuse to abide by resorts' mask and distancing policies.

Yes, a lot of people follow the recommended precautions, but too many people don't, and I worry about that.

I think more states need to follow CT's lead and start enforcing the rules. Supposedly they are issuing fines for lack of masks and oversized events.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The article that @BackCountryGirl posted about the role that travel can have in spreading the virus was pretty eye opening. Reposting it here. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...onavirus-close-borders-travel-quarantine.html

I agree that, like wearing a mask, the decision to travel is a personal decision. The difference is that not wearing a mask is generally met with oppobrium because most people have been educated about the science of mask wearing. But it doesn’t mean that frequent cross state travel is the “right” thing to do either from a public health perspective!

The unfortunate fact is that social messaging about travel’s role in spreading the virus has been inconsistent at best because our government officials don’t want to totally throw the tourism and hospitality industries under the bus. I definitely urge people to read the NY Times article; it makes a pretty convincing case.

I don't want to belabor the point or continue/escalate the argument. I will not be posting in this thread further. I only want to clarify several things:

- I have not traveled anywhere interstate or even within the state I reside in since February, followed all of the regulations for my state. I might travel this winter, if the COVID spread has not increased or is reduced. The emphasis is on might, not that I will.

- I was not encouraging frequent interstate travel or said it is acceptable. I said that perhaps occasional travel may be ok if the infection rates continue to go down and travel regulations are adhered to, such as 14-day quarantine or negative COVID test required for entry. Of course one does not have to agree with me.

- I have read the NYTimes article when it was first posted. It applies to the time around March and immediately after. I think a lot is different now. That is not to say there is no public health risk associated with travel. I think it is lower now then it was in March or April for example, IMHO of course.

- I do not think that occasional travel with all precautions and regulations followed is equitable as a public health risk to not wearing a mask in public place, IMHO of course. Though of course any travel now is a potential risk from public health and personal standpoint. I was not stating otherwise.

- There were very few scientific peer-reviewed publications of COVID spread on planes, most have happened before April when the necessary precautions and regulations were not in place. I have recently read them. I have a Ph.D. in immunology (not infections disease but cancer immunotherapy) and currently lead cancer and autoimmune disease drug discovery programs in a large pharmaceutical company. I think I have enough scientific knowledge to understand and interpret the science in those publications.

- Several of my fellow scientists with graduate degrees in biomedical research including a former colleague who as MD/Ph.D. pulmonologist currently working in ICU traveled interstate safely and following the rules. So to me the occasional travel following regulations is acceptable level of risk, at least currently. It could change. Again one does not have to agree with me and not to repeat others but traveling is a highly personal decision currently.

I respect others' opinions and don't want to argue further, just wanted to clarify my view on this and where I was coming from.

Last edited:

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think there is some obvious sensitivity to the issue of travel, both from the people who live in States/areas people may travel to and those who pretty much have to travel if they are to have a ski season. Reading this thread, there may be people who feel hesitant to talk about any skiing done anywhere not in their home state for fear of having people come down on them.

Perhaps that's to be expected. Perhaps that's the expectation.

For myself, I try to balance my fears of getting or spreading the virus with a desire to support local businesses in ways that feel safe, with trying to have somewhat of a normal life while being safe, and taking care of my physical and mental health in ways that feel safe, based as much on the current science and guidance as possible. To me, striking a balance is vital to getting through this. Obviously that looks different for every one of us. I know that if I do travel for pleasure this fall or winter I'll be doing so while following local travel restrictions and health guidance (mask, wash hands, don't touch face). But you won't catch me sharing car rides, flying on a plane, or eating indoors.

Christy

Angel Diva
or myself, I try to balance my fears of getting or spreading the virus with a desire to support local businesses in ways that feel safe,

On this note--I'd encourage everyone that goes anywhere to generously support local businesses. When we went to Orcas Island this summer we went to my favorite bakery every day, I asked if business was booming, because local destinations have been PACKED in WA this summer. And I was surprised to hear that no, business was way down. I think a lot of people mean well and bring everything they need with them, but I would encourage people to get that take out, tip wildly, and patronize as much local business as you feel comfortable.

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have also been overtipping the grocery delivery people, and I've been paying my cleaning lady who has not been in my home since the end of February.

Wow. We paid through July, then decided we would not likely have anyone come in for the forseeable future with both of us here all the time.

heatherrrrz

Certified Ski Diva
I'm from Southern CT so we're in the yellow area of Vermont's travel restrictions. I personally haven't traveled anywhere since August of 2019 for vacation. I was looking forward to skiing this year since it seems like the one thing I can actually do without restriction since mask wearing is usually standard while skiing.

However, I am one of 3 people still working at the office and not able to work from home. The 7 day quarantine would not be achievable for me without taking my vacation days which I was saving to ski the whole day on a day trip a few times. It's very upsetting since Vermont has become my favorite place to ski. New Hampshire is too far for a day trip, and my only other options are staying with the small hills in my state or a larger hill at Wachusett unless Vermont changes their restrictions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly