• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont Skiing 2018-2019

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It could be just showers Friday; the snow could end up being soft-fun rather than soft-mucky.
I'll be there Thursday for their $29 throwback deal.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for your advice, we had a great weekend. The only bummer was that we didn't get to ski Jackson Gore due to winds on Sunday. We'd planned to ski the south face with an intermediate friend on Sat and then switch on Sun, but that lift didn't open. Still a blast. We will have to come back! :smile:

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Anyone still considering Magic Mountain this Saturday? I still am, but a bit wary of the weather now.. looks like 60 on Friday with rain, then staying at 38 for a low overnight and around 50 for a high Saturday. Did I mention I’m not the biggest fan of sticky mucky spring skiing..? Lol sounds like it could be a mess. Thoughts?
The weather report is looking up for Saturday. I had planned to go to the SheJumps/Magic event but my husband can’t watch the kids that day. Not sure having kids in tow adds to the experience for me :(

MissySki

Angel Diva
The weather report is looking up for Saturday. I had planned to go to the SheJumps/Magic event but my husband can’t watch the kids that day. Not sure having kids in tow adds to the experience for me :(

It is definitely looking like things will firm up more than originally, also not supposed to get anywhere as warm as originally forecast on Saturday. Now if only the Friday temp would back off and rain would go away! Lol I know, I’m asking alot..

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well I bought my ticket for the SheJumps event because there are still a couple of the early bird $45 ones left, so I’ll be heading up Saturday no matter what now. The SheJumps rep emailed asking about level of skiing and if I’m doing the uphill clinic or not. She said a bunch of ladies who are attending know the mountain really well, so hoping I end up in a group with someone who can do a good tour, that would be great. I wasn’t too sure on which level I want to be in since I know the mountain has some really challenging terrain if you want it. Figure I’ll wait and see how others describe their skiing and the speed they intend to ski whatever terrain at. I’d like to get in ungroomed stuff if conditions allow, but I’m not as speedy if it gets super technical. I’m hopefully optimistic on the forecast. @SnowSeeker let me know if you end up deciding to come! :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well I bought my ticket for the SheJumps event because there are still a couple of the early bird $45 ones left, so I’ll be heading up Saturday no matter what now. . . .
Well, the OpenSnow forecast looks pretty dry for Saturday. My experience with SheJumps events at Massanutten is that they are fun regardless of the weather. :smile:

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 9.03.01 PM.png

SnowSeeker

Angel Diva
Well I bought my ticket for the SheJumps event because there are still a couple of the early bird $45 ones left, so I’ll be heading up Saturday no matter what now. The SheJumps rep emailed asking about level of skiing and if I’m doing the uphill clinic or not. She said a bunch of ladies who are attending know the mountain really well, so hoping I end up in a group with someone who can do a good tour, that would be great. I wasn’t too sure on which level I want to be in since I know the mountain has some really challenging terrain if you want it. Figure I’ll wait and see how others describe their skiing and the speed they intend to ski whatever terrain at. I’d like to get in ungroomed stuff if conditions allow, but I’m not as speedy if it gets super technical. I’m hopefully optimistic on the forecast. @SnowSeeker let me know if you end up deciding to come! :becky:
The weather should be great. I wish I could be there tomorrow - darn kids complicate everything! I have wanted to get back to Magic for a long time - next time for sure. I hope it’s a great day.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki I asked a friend about Magic last year, and he gave me (plodding intermediate) a nice overview of the terrain and trail progressions. I thought you might find it interesting, though it refers to the Mere-Mortal trails rather than the blacks for the most part:

"With the new green Peak chair going in you should have some nice options over there. Vertigo and Mystery sometimes aren’t groomed but aren’t super steep and would offer a nice next step. On the west side talisman is a nice steeper groomer, though I’m not sure the last time I skied it when it was actually groomed.

Broomstick to heart of the magician might be a nice last step. Broomstick is narrow but negotiable and heart isn’t overly steep. But in reality if you bought a pass at Magic you gotta just go for it.

In terms of progressing at Magic, Up Your Sleeve and Vertigo are intermediate trails that are a fun time. These are intermediate trails but the thin cover make them a bit more challenging. When they have snow, these two trails are not groomed as often (as compared to Medium) and become fantastic low-angle, and small, bump trails. There are several low-angle and open glades such as White Kitten, Pixie Dust, and Disappearing Act that will give you confidence in the woods."

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the tips! I’m just going to be following around for the most part, especially this morning. They look to have lost a lot of snow the last couple of days, so I’m going to be conservative with seeing how things are skiing when we get out there. Their mountain report said “variable snow” several times, with temps dropping throughout the day and not being able to really groom the super soft snow. I’m told there might be lots of rock dodging and little rivers to jump on the blacks along with ice and thin cover, so I think I’m starting in the blue group since I’ve never been here and don’t know how to rank myself against anyone else skiing. Some of the ladies are locals here, so that makes me think they are probably quite high level.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I’m starting in the blue group since I’ve never been here and don’t know how to rank myself against anyone else skiing. Some of the ladies are locals here, so that makes me think they are probably quite high level.

That's a good plan. Magic's blues can be challenging when the terrain is thin and "varied." Have a great day! Can't wait to hear how it was!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I’d say that the term variable was a very accurate one! Unfortunately, even though things were skiing really well yesterday, Magic lost a lot of snow between then and today. Then because it never got to freezing overnight, they were only able to do a little bit of grooming. Of course today’s high temperature came super early as well with it dropping off and freezing everything this morning. So we stuck to more low angle blues and things were firm, but edgable. I was suprised how much grass and dirt started to show, but there was plenty of room to get around anything like that. Anything ungroomed on the low angle stuff was very rough under your feet, but it was still fun skiing to me, and it was so nice to meet some local ladies to ski with. I so appreciated the tour and company! I was also happy to be on some damper skis to absorb the vibrations. Around lunchtime Magic closed the west side of the mountain to groom a couple of trails, this was really really appretiated!! We happened to get first tracks down one of them when they dropped the rope and it was beautiful soft groomer interspersed with some sketchy parts you could manuever around. Frankly though I was impressed with what they were willing to have open for a blue run for this one, it was Wizard. Very fun trail, but if I was a beginner and this was the only easy way down on that side of the mountain today, I wouldn’t have liked some of what I had to ski around. Luckily we didn’t mind it though, it was one of the best runs of the day! We also went down Talisman which was a black that was groomed. Apparently anything ungroomed was very very icy and then we were also told that there were no remaining bumps due to the melt. There were runs that I was told were open and skiing well last weekend and even yesterday that were mostly boulders today. It’s amazing what mother nature can do that quickly to the natural snow trails. I’m looking forward to going back again when conditions are better and skiing with some new friends! I would definitely do future SheJumps events, it was really fun.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone interested in meeting up at Mad River Glen on Saturday? Right now I'm probably heading there alone after skiing Sugarbush with some of the divas returning from Diva East Friday and maybe Thursday as well depending when I drive up. I may do a private bump lesson, or semi-private if anyone else wanted to join at MRG. I've never been there, and was hesitating due to the current warm ups etc., but looks like there is a potential for a little bit of snow Thursday Night and Friday and Friday night so that could definitely lead to much better conditions there. So watching the weather, but I think it is at least trending the right way at the moment. Let me know if anyone is interested.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hmm, thought it was supposed to be spring skiing after mid-March. Doesn't quite look that way for Sugarbush this week. The MRG weather blog has mentioned a powder weekend.

OpenSnow forecast
Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 12.03.00 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh, I just wanted to add that I have a free ticket to Sugarbush from Warren Miller, just not sure if it's only good for tomorrow or Friday as well since they always have certain stipulations.. But if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll check the details closer and bring it up with me. Can also get 25% off friend tickets there with the Ikon pass.

I'm heading up tomorrow morning to meet @lisamamot , @Jenny , and @Tvan and their spouses to ski Sugarbush Thursday and Friday. I'm not sure if anyone else is hanging around until Saturday, but I scheduled a private bump lesson at MRG for Saturday morning, so I'll be there then as well. Snow is looking very likely in the forecast (right now it is up to 1-3 Thursday night, 3-5 Friday, 5-8 Friday night, 1-3 Saturday..), so if anyone is itching to come up and want some divas to ski with, you are more than welcome! :becky:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Looking past this weekend's storm, those who can get to Sugarbush midweek will be in winter conditions as opposed to spring skiing. Presumably similar weather elsewhere in northern VT.

OpenSnow forecast
Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 9.59.12 AM.png

MissySki

Angel Diva
It’s full on winter up here right now after a wonderful soft spring day yesterday. I can’t get my pictures to load because the files are too big, but boy did we get a lot of new snow today, and the top of the mountain got even more because we started as rain lower down last night but the top was all snow. It was a very noticable difference in snow amount and quality for the top half of the mountain, though the base got a very significant amount as well. Still coming down now and set to go through the night, we are under a winter storm warning through 12 pm tomorrow. Nice to see the temps should keep things great now for a while!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly