• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont Skiing 2018-2019

Tvan

Angel Diva
I agree with @ski diva - parking should be no issue mid-week. If it’s cold and windy, the Sunbowl lodge might be a better choice. You can park and pulled up over there. The Sunbowl tends to be out of the wind and in the sun so it’s often a warmer choice on a cold day. Follow the access road past the Welcome Center and look for signs to the Sunbowl...parking on that side is easy and the lodge is right next to the lifts.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m at Stratton today. No need to go into the garage; plenty of parking up top. It’ll be apparent once you get here.
Thanks! Driving was easy in VA/PA today, so I made it to the Berkshires tonight. So will be at Stratton in the morning. :becky:

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Headed to Okemo with my cousin this weekend -- my first time in VT! Any insider tips on where a couple of advanced skiers might enjoy? I assume the more advanced lifts might be a little quieter on a weekend... thanks :smile:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Headed to Okemo with my cousin this weekend -- my first time in VT! Any insider tips on where a couple of advanced skiers might enjoy? I assume the more advanced lifts might be a little quieter on a weekend... thanks :smile:

Jackson Gore area, all of it

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Jackson Gore is a good choice (although a belt broke today and I sat on the lift for 35 minutes today). So is South Face which is a bit more off the beaten path. Many just stand in line for the Sunburst Six chair on the main mountain. The slower fixed lifts can leave you standing in line for less time, but move more slowly.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Okemo South Face is SO.MUCH.FUN if you’re willing to make the trek over there.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okemo South Face is SO.MUCH.FUN if you’re willing to make the trek over there.

It is a shlep, but I think that puts people off and keeps the area less crowded. There are some hella fun runs over there! It would be my second choice, right after Jackson Gore, but that's probably because I only ever boot up in Jackson Gore, so the access is easy peasy.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Jackson Gore is a good choice (although a belt broke today and I sat on the lift for 35 minutes today). So is South Face which is a bit more off the beaten path. Many just stand in line for the Sunburst Six chair on the main mountain. The slower fixed lifts can leave you standing in line for less time, but move more slowly.

OMIGOSH you were stuck on that lift? We were the next ones on line to get on when it broke down, so we really got lucky. We ended up taking a shuttle to Solitude. I was wondering if they had to do a lift evac. Glad they didn’t, but it must’ve been COLD.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMIGOSH you were stuck on that lift? We were the next ones on line to get on when it broke down, so we really got lucky. We ended up taking a shuttle to Solitude. I was wondering if they had to do a lift evac. Glad they didn’t, but it must’ve been COLD.

I was one of the (un) lucky souls. I wondered if you were. Pooh - conditions were great over there! Even with boot heaters, my feet were frozen. Thank gawd for Chaval gloves and the bubble to stop the wind. At least I got a voucher for hot beverages!

I DID wonder if you and yours were on the lift!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re Okemo: wherever you end up skiing, park at Jackson Gore. The main lodge is gross and inconvenient; too many stairs and you have to take that danged slow-as-molassas-in-January quad chair to get anywhere.

Epic Restaurant at Solitude is a good place to eat; not too expensive and an interesting menu. The chicken and waffles are back, but the recipe has changed: they're just putting fried chicken on it, not cooking it the way they used to. Good salads, though.

Re Stratton: If I were in that area, I'd be sure to hit Magic (open Thurs-Sun). The snow is good right now, and when the snow is good, Magic is very, very fun.

Tvan

Angel Diva
It is a shlep, but I think that puts people off and keeps the area less crowded. There are some hella fun runs over there!

Be sure to find a restroom BEFORE you go over there, though. No lodge or restrooms on that side.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I agree with @ski diva - parking should be no issue mid-week. If it’s cold and windy, the Sunbowl lodge might be a better choice. You can park and pulled up over there. The Sunbowl tends to be out of the wind and in the sun so it’s often a warmer choice on a cold day. Follow the access road past the Welcome Center and look for signs to the Sunbowl...parking on that side is easy and the lodge is right next to the lifts.
Parking was no problem at the main base. Helped to have tips on what to look for.

We skied over to Sunbowl. Would definitely keep that in mind on a weekend. Overall, I like Stratton. Will work on a trip report soon.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Re Stratton: If I were in that area, I'd be sure to hit Magic (open Thurs-Sun). The snow is good right now, and when the snow is good, Magic is very, very fun.
If I were staying near Stratton, would definitely go check out Magic. But Stratton was a detour between NC and Boston. Having Ikon was a key factor in decided where to ski today after staying at Jiminy Peak last night. May make it back to VT early next week.

LKillick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! We will have two beginners with us, so I assume we'll have to start in the main area, but then we'll be sure to head one way or another immediately after... or drop them then go park at Jackson Gore. :p

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! We will have two beginners with us, so I assume we'll have to start in the main area, but then we'll be sure to head one way or another immediately after... or drop them then go park at Jackson Gore. :p

You can just park at JG and lift up on that summit lift. There's a doable green from the upper lift terminal over to the mountain road (green cruiser at Okemo). It's got a pitch that more advanced skiers will know you need to pound down in order to avoid skating on the runout to get to the main face, but I don't think it should be too frightening to noobs. Or, rather, if that's frightening to your beginners, they should be in ski school and not out skiing the mountain.

Getting back to JG is going to be the trick. The blue run that leads from the main face to the JG base is a Stowe-style blue (long fairly steep pitches) and would not be at all suitable for a novice. There is a "green" run that goes from the Solitude area back to JG, but every time I ski it I marvel at the mountain's decision to classify it as a green, because it's got a series of pitches that drop directly into switchbacks, and the surface gets trashed pretty fast. If they're not adventurous and/or fairly skilled beginners, that run could be frightening. And if they're tired after you finish skiing the main face, it might be a good idea to just ski back yourself and bring the car around to the main base lodge. Parking at Okemo's main base sux, but the drop zone is pretty convenient.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone still considering Magic Mountain this Saturday? I still am, but a bit wary of the weather now.. looks like 60 on Friday with rain, then staying at 38 for a low overnight and around 50 for a high Saturday. Did I mention I’m not the biggest fan of sticky mucky spring skiing..? Lol sounds like it could be a mess. Thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly