• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont Skiing 2018-2019

MissySki

Angel Diva
Will anyone be out on Friday at an Ikon resort: Stratton, Sugarbush, or Killington? I have Friday off, so was planning to head to Stratton or Sugarbush.. of course the weather looks horrible at the moment for a lot of the R word in all of New England, so plans are up in the air at the moment and may not happen. Hoping the forecast eases up even to just showers, but right now it's been holding steady at yuck!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will anyone be out on Friday at an Ikon resort: Stratton, Sugarbush, or Killington? I have Friday off, so was planning to head to Stratton or Sugarbush.. of course the weather looks horrible at the moment for a lot of the R word in all of New England, so plans are up in the air at the moment and may not happen. Hoping the forecast eases up even to just showers, but right now it's been holding steady at yuck!

Isn't the Friday forecast ghastly? I WAS planning on skiing at Okemo (home hill) on Friday and driving home for the holiday week on Saturday morning. If the weather nerds are right, I'm leaving Friday as soon as I think the roads are safe if it was icy overnight. :hurt:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Isn't the Friday forecast ghastly? I WAS planning on skiing at Okemo (home hill) on Friday and driving home for the holiday week on Saturday morning. If the weather nerds are right, I'm leaving Friday as soon as I think the roads are safe if it was icy overnight. :hurt:

Yeah, it looks really gross and not budging still..

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I'm skiing Killington tomorrow, but I guess that doesn't help you.

Fingers crossed it either gets cold enough for the R to turn to snow, or it misses us entirely.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm skiing Killington tomorrow, but I guess that doesn't help you.

Fingers crossed it either gets cold enough for the R to turn to snow, or it misses us entirely.

Haha yeah, I couldn't ski before Friday if I wanted to. Ski shop has one of my boots to mount my new skis today, and I can't make it back to NH to pick everything up until after work Thursday. Here's hoping the warmth predicted goes away!

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Okemo today, and it was pretty darned nice at Jackson Gore, because the bubble lift dealt with the wind chill, and nobody else was around! I’ll be there Thursday, but not Friday! Rain, rain, go away.....

MissySki

Angel Diva
I'm still toyng around with going tomorrow, but I'm not suuuuuper motivated about it lol. Just thinking A) I need whatever time I can get agead of Aspen on skis so I can keep getting my legs into shape, and B) it'll be warm and soft snow presumably, whereas I imagine things are going to be darn solid for awhile after this event. C) I should have the mountain mostly to myself anywhere I go versus the holiday week coming which will be packed anywhere I go so why not take advantage of that. D) I have the day off regardless and HATE to waste that opportunity not skiing!

The reasons not to go are mostly that I'll be driving 6 hours round trip for what could be super nasty conditions.. While I'm okay with skiing in rain, I prefer it not to be torrential, and I assume it's gonna be something like that since so much is forecast to fall..

Any thoughts yay or nay? Lol or ideas of where it may be better than others? Will north or south make a difference? I'm trying to figure if it'd be better longer if I went to NH or ME versus VT since the storm is moving west to east, but I think it's starting so early I don't know if it really matters or not..

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
@MissySki - argh. Feel your pain. The weather forecast for western Maine mountains is VERY discouraging. :frown: In fact, the worst aspect is that it will be ice pellets here in the a.m. before it turns into actual, heavy rain around noon. That alone would discourage me from traveling in this region.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@MissySki - argh. Feel your pain. The weather forecast for western Maine mountains is VERY discouraging. :frown: In fact, the worst aspect is that it will be ice pellets here in the a.m. before it turns into actual, heavy rain around noon. That alone would discourage me from traveling in this region.

I saw that when checking if SR would hide me from the rain longer! :cry:

I think that is definitely worse than just wet and warm from the get go. Wish I could be out there today!

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
The latest weather report for Ludlow is predicting mixed precip Thursday night and then up to an inch of rain on Friday. Definitely going to be messy. At least Okemo has the 2 bubble lifts so you can stay dry on the lift if you decide to ski.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the forecast looks awful tomorrow. I ski every week day, and I'm giving it up to run errands. That said, it's going to be warm, the snow will be soft, and if rain doesn't bother you, go for it, though I don't think I'd make that big a drive.

Personally, I hate skiing in the rain because I can't see.

BTW, today was gorgeous. Like spring skiing under a bluebird sky.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday was gorgeous. Lovely soft carving snow and a confidence boost (followed by the a check in with the bootfitter).

I’m driving south for the holidays rather than skiing in rain and probable wind. Oh Mother Nature, we want snow for Christmas! :ski2:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I do so wish I could have skied yesterday, or that the storm could have held out one more day.. either or.. but it was not to be.

I decided to sleep in and not make the long drive to check things out today. I am off work now until the new year, so plenty of time for some skiing, even though it'll be frozen solid and crowded. :rolleyes:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I do so wish I could have skied yesterday, or that the storm could have held out one more day.. either or.. but it was not to be.

I decided to sleep in and not make the long drive to check things out today. I am off work now until the new year, so plenty of time for some skiing, even though it'll be frozen solid and crowded. :rolleyes:

I think you made the right choice.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've started making official plans for our late January Vermont trip, and I'm hoping for some guidance around the best shops to rent demo skis. We'll probably ski at least 2 days, maybe 3, and will start at Sugarbush and then Stowe, Stratton, or Killington. We've got the Ikon Pass, so Stratton and Killington are a nose ahead, or we may just spend all our time at Sugarbush. Anyway, I've heard good things about Pinnacle at Stowe, but was thinking it might make more sense to rent in Burlington to make return easy no matter our resort choice.

We're targeting the following skis:
and, a bit more off the radar...
Any thoughts Vermont Divas? Also, open to any and all forms of Vermont wisdom you could drop on us to make our trip hella sweet. Cheers!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've started making official plans for our late January Vermont trip, and I'm hoping for some guidance around the best shops to rent demo skis. We'll probably ski at least 2 days, maybe 3, and will start at Sugarbush and then Stowe, Stratton, or Killington. We've got the Ikon Pass, so Stratton and Killington are a nose ahead, or we may just spend all our time at Sugarbush. Anyway, I've heard good things about Pinnacle at Stowe, but was thinking it might make more sense to rent in Burlington to make return easy no matter our resort choice.

Any thoughts Vermont Divas? Also, open to any and all forms of Vermont wisdom you could drop on us to make our trip hella sweet. Cheers!

Come prepared for anything and everything, that's my first piece of Vermont Skier Wisdom. Ice is pretty much a given, but depending on what else has happened recently in the skies, you could be getting a mix of deep fresh snow plus ice, all in the space of 100 feet.

Avoid skiing Stratton on weekends. IDK what it is about that ski area, but it attracts a lot of major-league jerks. There's another word I'd use for the sort of person one is likely to encounter at Stratton on the weekends, but I'm pretty sure the forums would just auto-replace all the letters with asterisks if I used it. Also, the terrain...let's just say that many of us in the region refer to it as "Flatton". There are good runs, but I have to do waaaaaay more hiking in my skis than I want to when I ski there.

If you like the 'Bush, just stay there. Stowe has the best ski town on the east coast, but it gets pretty crowded midwinter, and the parking at the mountain is the absolute pits. Besides, if you're racking up in Waitsfield or Warren to ski the 'Bush, it's not a terribly long drive to take yourself into Stowe so you can enjoy the amenities without also enjoying the lodging price premium.

My second piece of advice is to save room for beer. Your profile says CA? Vermont has a craft brewing industry that basically smokes everyone else's right out of the room. And all those ski areas have great pubs. The one at the 'Bush is particularly nice.

If you're staying in Waitsfield or Warren be sure to get a meal at Mad Taco. The Prohibition Pig up in Waterbury (between the 'Bush and Stowe) is a great place to stop in and have lunch and a beer.

Last edited:

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

And, as far as you proposed demos are concerned, I wouldn't recommend any of those unless it snows like crazy before you get here. Those 90+ waists are what we use for powder skis around here. Not really what you're going to want for the hardpack and ice that you're almost certainly going to encounter, even if it has snowed recently (and we haven't had much snow since Thanksgiving - we have, however, had several absurdly warm days with pouring rain followed by plunging temperatures, and it doesn't take an Einstein to see what that's going to mean for the surface of the runs.

If you want to give any of those skis a serious airing, I'd suggest making a trip up to the PNW and trying them out on some Cascade Concrete, or Sierra Cement.

If you're set on skiing some kind of mid-fat freeride ski, and you want a women's ski, the Volkl you're probably looking for is the Kenja. That's a classic for New England women. The Secret, I think is the women's version of the Mantra, and while you do see guys out on the hill on Mantras, you don't see many of them (not unless it's a powder day, or the day after a powder day). You just don't need that kind of float under ordinary conditions, and the float comes at the expense of hard-snow grip, which you do need under ordinary conditions.

I see a lot more Nordica Astrals here than I do Santa Anas.

I don't see a lot of Elan skis at all, of any stripe. But if you want to try the Ripstick, I'd say to go with the 80-whatever waist, not the 90-something ones.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Serafina, thank you for your guidance... it's invaluable! We certainly don't want to ski with a bunch of jerks, we want to drink lots of yummy beer, and we want to ski on skis that work for the area. I've spent all my ski years out west and have never skied anywhere in the east. I really appreciate your help, making sure we have a good trip. I'm making note of your food and drink recommendations :smile: Any sour beers we should pay particular attention to?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna