• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Vermont Skiing 2018-2019

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't imagine the skiing will be very pleasant this weekend. Today's weather was a wild late-fall wintry mix of rain, sleet, a bit of snow, then back to rain. Not a weekend forecast that would draw me 30 minutes from home much less several hours.

Gratefulgal

Certified Ski Diva
Mt Snow is opening this weekend! Earliest opening ever. The investment in snowmaking infrastructure is paying off. Takes a lot of money and stubbornness. What I learned this summer is that the founder of Peak Resorts had decades of experience with snowmaking in the midwest before he expanded into the northeast. According to a son, he likes to get out and help Mt. Snow snowmakers every so often. Two of Tim Boyd's sons are actively involved in Peak Resorts.

https://www.mountsnow.com/media-room/opening-day-2018-2019/

Mount Snow Announces Earliest Opening Day in 64-Year History

Mount Snow, VT. – October 23, 2018 – Mount Snow, which was recently named Best Snow in The East by Ski Magazine, is pleased to announce that it will open for skiing and riding at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 27 with the most skiable terrain in The East.

“Mother Nature came through with the right temperatures allowing our team to utilize the $30 million investment we made in our snowmaking system during our West Lake Water Project to celebrate the earliest opening day in our 64-year history,” said Erik Barnes, vice president & general manager of Mount Snow. “We know that skiers and riders all over The East are champing at the bit to get out there and enjoy the slopes, and we can’t wait to welcome them all on Saturday.”

On Saturday, October 27, Mount Snow will open for skiing and riding with lifts running from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please note that there will be no beginner terrain available. Additional terrain may be added as temperatures allow for further snowmaking operations, with up-to-date trail, terrain, and conditions information available on the Snow Report. Mount Snow will start the ‘18/19 season with weekends-only operations before welcoming guests seven days a week at a date to be announced.
. . ."
Here's some pics from Mount Snow!
We didn't have a lot of trails open but they did a great job Snow making around the clock.

Attachments

• IMG_8151.JPG
    IMG_8151.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8156.JPG
    IMG_8156.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 7

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can't imagine the skiing will be very pleasant this weekend. Today's weather was a wild late-fall wintry mix of rain, sleet, a bit of snow, then back to rain. Not a weekend forecast that would draw me 30 minutes from home much less several hours.
I had friends who were at a cabin near Killington on Sat. It's owned by a friend of theirs. After checking the forecast, they opted for a cozy, lazy day indoors instead of heading out to the slopes. Turned out to be the right decision given that the lifts shut down around 1:00 due to power cables getting crossed and causing a power outage. Heard it didn't take long to get the backup diesel motors going to get everyone downloaded.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Got a chance to talk to the owner of Magic at the Boston Ski Expo on Thursday. He's clearly enjoying how well things are going. Has hopes that the owners of the condos and old lodge at the base will make improvements in the near future or sell to someone who is interested in the future.

Didn't realize how many 2-hr Specialty Lessons that Magic does. Includes
  • Trees and Steeps
  • Bumps and Jumps
  • Boxes, Hits & Rails
  • Intro to Uphilling Clinic (AM)
  • Uphill Tour of Magic (PM)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got a chance to talk to the owner of Magic at the Boston Ski Expo on Thursday. He's clearly enjoying how well things are going. Has hopes that the owners of the condos and old lodge at the base will make improvements in the near future or sell to someone who is interested in the future.

• Trees and Steeps
  • Bumps and Jumps
  • Boxes, Hits & Rails

Magic doesn't list any of that on their "Lessons" page--very frustrating for someone interested in them and trying to get the details.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The bottom of the flyer says “make your reservations by contacting Craig Bailes at the snow sports learning center at (802)824-5645 x116 or email [email protected]

The trees and steeps, bumps and jumps, and boxes and rails are all $159. Intro to uphilling clinic and uphill tour of magic are both $115 + $50 for AT gear rental.

MissySki

Angel Diva

• Trees and Steeps
  • Bumps and Jumps
  • Boxes, Hits & Rails

Did you get a sense of how advanced these clinics are, or if they offer various levels? I am always interested in doing more in trees and bumps because it's a major weak point/ low confidence area of mine. However, in previous sessions that I took on these specific things at Sunday River for example, the level was either too slow/beginner for me where I didn't feel like I learned much new and I was doing a lot of waiting around or too advanced/high speed in said terrain and I felt like everyone was constantly waiting on me which stresses me out. There never seemed to be a middle of the road which made me think I may just need to do some privates.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Did you get a sense of how advanced these clinics are, or if they offer various levels?
I think @SallyCat may be able to give an answer to your question. I haven't talked to anyone about the Magic clinics. But from what I know about the people who really like Magic, they are at least advanced intermediates.

Fair to say that the folks who ski Magic and the folks who ski Sunday River have different interests and backgrounds.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I think @SallyCat may be able to give an answer to your question. I haven't talked to anyone about the Magic clinics. But from what I know about the people who really like Magic, they are at least advanced intermediates.

Fair to say that the folks who ski Magic and the folks who ski Sunday River have different interests and backgrounds.

I was thinking taking some bumps lessons at somewhere less groomer friendly like SR such as Magic or MRG coukd really push me outside of my comfort zone, in a goood way! As long as it's not too crazy too fast..

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was thinking taking some bumps lessons at somewhere less groomer friendly like SR such as Magic or MRG coukd really push me outside of my comfort zone, in a goood way! As long as it's not too crazy too fast..
Small places generally have more reasonable prices for private lessons. For instance, in addition to Magic, consider Berkshire East since it's that much closer. I started learning the fundamentals related to bump skiing at Massanutten. The bump sections there are only good for 10 turns at most. But enough to get started understanding the concepts of absorption and extension.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Small places generally have more reasonable prices for private lessons. For instance, in addition to Magic, consider Berkshire East since it's that much closer. I started learning the fundamentals related to bump skiing at Massanutten. The bump sections there are only good for 10 turns at most. But enough to get started understanding the concepts of absorption and extension.

I can do the absorption extension exercises on runs with small bumps that don't scare me. My challenge is not mentally psyching myself out on where to turn and slowing down to a couple of turns at a time rather than going continuously at an appropriate speed that still allows for good decision making when bumps get bigger or in trees where I start worrying about what obstacles may be right beneath the surface. If that makes sense. I can get down most runs pretty easily, though very tight trees still scare me, but way too slooooowly and I haven't been able to up my speed even though I put myself in the terrain as offen as I can. So I'm not sure if it's way more mileage I need, or more specific fundamentals I'm missing to make me more comfortable there.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I'm actually no help there; I've only skied Magic once and haven't taken any clinics or lessons there. I can say that the side of the mountain to the left of the red chair has plenty of groomed beginner and intermediate trails with a nice progression in difficulty. There's even a short green mogul run which is great for learning. So although it's known as an expert mountain, it is definitely not an expert only mountain.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I inquired about their bump clinics and the skier level(s) most appropriate to participate in a PM on Facebook last night. This morning they responded with the email address of someone from ski school so I shot her a note. Will report back on what I find out!

MRG looks to have some really cool bump and women's clinics too, that is tempting because I assume they'd get me way the heck outside of my comfort zone on their terrain! Might inquire for more info there too.

Would anyone be interested in doing something like that at Magic or MRG with me later this season??

marzNC

Angel Diva
Would anyone be interested in doing something like that at Magic or MRG with me later this season??
Weekends or midweek?

My impression is that MRG has a very good ski school. Although the SSD moved over to Sugarbush a few years ago. Trails are pretty narrow. But I think that's true of Magic as well.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I inquired about their bump clinics and the skier level(s) most appropriate to participate in a PM on Facebook last night. This morning they responded with the email address of someone from ski school so I shot her a note. Will report back on what I find out!

MRG looks to have some really cool bump and women's clinics too, that is tempting because I assume they'd get me way the heck outside of my comfort zone on their terrain! Might inquire for more info there too.

My skill level is "plodding intermediate" but I would definitely be interested if I wouldn't hold you back. I also have a pass that lets me and a friend ski for free at any Vermont resort, so if we teamed up, you wouldn't have to buy a lift ticket.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I couldn't get to work today because of all the downed trees and wires all over the roads. Briefly thought about going to Okemo for a powder day, but I had a ton of work to do and didn't figure it would be any easier to get there than to work, so I stayed home. I just heard that Okemo lost power.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't get to work today because of all the downed trees and wires all over the roads. Briefly thought about going to Okemo for a powder day, but I had a ton of work to do and didn't figure it would be any easier to get there than to work, so I stayed home. I just heard that Okemo lost power.

Yes! I was on the lift when they did! We sat for a while, then they started up the generator and got us off. After that they closed the mountain. Until then, though, it was really good! Lots of new snow, ungroomed.

I had a hellish trip to the mountain, though, and right now I’m in my car trying to get home. There’s a tree blocking road and they’re working on removing it. Could take a while.

I have no power at home, either.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna